Bramz ever changing fleet merry go round.

bramz7

I find myself constantly adjusting the seats in my 406 coupe, one of those cars I just can't find a comfy driving position in, always end up fidgeting after driving a while. A pity, cos its a very well looked after car and drives nicely. It'll annoy me enough to sell it eventually though ?

All these pump nightmares are putting me off to be honest. 
Obviously it's a Lucas item. Unfortunately only early 2.1s got Bosch pumps. 

Tempted to sling it off. Anyone want it? Pipe up if you do, although [mention=20451]95 quid Peugeot[/mention]Peugeot has first dibs and [mention=4015]loserone[/mention]has second. 

They are fine if not Vegged - that's what kills them.

Okay so I have an obsession with high powered 5 cylinder diesels it seems. 

As alluded to, I bought this yesterday:

IMG_20191128_132018.thumb.jpg.284f33b1e684000dcd7abee2750c3e5b.jpg

Day two of ownership and yeh, it's still fine. A few marks here and there and it's definitely a bit funny with the rear suspension, but it seems pretty good. And it's fast as f. I've not had many cars pull in the way this does. It feels a touch like it needs a few more miles under its belt but performance is incredible, and it doesn't leave shit tons of clag behind it either. The clutch is a bit similar to other era Fiat group vehicles, in that you really need to adjust the seat properly to be able to engage and disengage smoothly, otherwise it gets a bit messy. Probably a bit on the high side but that's no doubt a side effect of 17 years with an Italian pensioner.

Cost? Well £450 with 7 months ticket seemed pretty good. Free gifts with the car included a fair bit of rubbish, 30 euro cents and some prescription medicine. 

1459984995_IMG_20191122_1007062.thumb.jpg.493a876520c05a6c6f9aa6cba17e3181.jpg

The 146 responded happily enough to three weeks of being left alone to starting up first turn of the key. I'll never tire of the incredibly precise steering and nimble feeling handling, as well as the rorty engine making it sound faster than it is. Proper B road hustler. 

I am a little concerned the variator is noisy. The cambelt isn't due by mileage or age but there is definitely a slight noise on idle. 

Hope this has better luck than your last (blue?) 156 sportwagon dizzler. How does it compare?

Like the Italian pensioners stickers- what’s with the ones on the boot?! Those chunky door protector things are also prime giffer accessories.

1 minute ago, HMC said:

Hope this has better luck than your last (blue?) 156 sportwagon dizzler. How does it compare?

Like the Italian pensioners stickers- what’s with the ones on the boot?!

Well first off it actually sounds like a 5 pot, whereas the mjet in the blue one sounded like a piece of crap to be honest. There is definitely more torque in this one, but that's meant to be the other way around. 

I think the sticker on the back is a faded Napoli Italian flag. 

I think the V70 and 850 diesels I had are of similar performance, although this undoubtedly handles much more nicely. 

My mate Fergus had one of those 156 20v diesels. He reckoned the engine was far too powerful for the bicycle parts that connected it to the road, and it thus needed new inner CV joints, various bits of engine/transmission mounts, drop links, wishbone bushes and god knows what else, every few months. Supposedly pretty fearsome when on song though.

4 hours ago, bramz7 said:

I believe the 20v has about 175hp. This 10v is the 150 version and yeah, it definitely feels like a .50 in a hand gun.

I'm well versed in avoiding every single pot hole and bump in a road to avoid any premature wear in Alfas but yes, I reckon thrashing this everywhere would cost ££££ in consumables.

I'm wincing just imagining daillying the tinker over the winter. Bet it roars on WOT though. 

4 hours ago, bramz7 said:

I believe the 20v has about 175hp. This 10v is the 150 version and yeah, it definitely feels like a .50 in a hand gun.

I'm well versed in avoiding every single pot hole and bump in a road to avoid any premature wear in Alfas but yes, I reckon thrashing this everywhere would cost ££££ in consumables.

Yes yours I expect has the facelift dash, so 150 like mine. Earlier cars were at 136 when spanking new in 1998.

Yes you get used to avoiding holey roads but this one's been with me over ten years and aside from a set of bushings and damperings all over and a clutch, all the ancillaries and fittings are original factory. Now at 189k and it'll be bombing me back up the motorway back from work in ten minutes time

DSC05886.JPG

Oh just remembered one thing of importance:

my local Alfa breaker has plenty  of stock apart from one thing 5-pot sumps.  He once told me it was the most valuable thing on my car. So do not drive like Steve McQueen over speed humps 

• 2 weeks later...

A swap of sorts should be occurring tomorrow. 

In the mean time, I've decided I want a Japanese car. At last, some of you exclaim.

Well specifically, I want an Impreza. Not a turbo or Barry boy special, but a GL or 'Sport' spec, with AWD preferably. My parents had one for a while and I keep finding myself wanting one, plus a ride in a cousins turbo made my eyes open. 

I've got my eye on a few for sale, but if anyone here has one they fancy shifting, I'm all ears. I'd prefer an early one but I actually like the bug eye models too. Unfortunately the only car I've got for swaps is an MOT less 405 auto estate. 

Ah yes, that's correct. 

Is there anything aside from rot to watch out for? I know they like their belts being done on time, but is there any weaknesses with the flat 4s? My cousin seems to think he hasn't replaced anything mechanical (really, in 4 years) on his turbo.