Show me your 2CV and other A Series Citroens please

Six-cylinder

I had a '85 Special a few years ago (C300 GNO). Bought it with the intention of taking it to Normandy, but sadly never got round to it before selling it on. I'll try and dig some photos up later.

After my yellow '79 Mini 1275GT, it's probably the car I regret selling the most.

We've had this 2CV in the family since about 1990. 

post-26538-0-25754500-1541594460_thumb.jpg

post-26538-0-28124400-1541594488_thumb.jpg

The original Reg was E323BMB - we called it Bomb.  In 2003 we resprayed it grey and some years before the roof went from red to black.

I learned to drive in this car and drove it about for about 6 weeks after i passed my test.  The baffles had gone out of the exhaust so it sounded great - was a shame to fit a new silencer.

Then at the end of 2003 it went off to France with my Mum & Dad who decided to finally move to Brittany.

Now it lives under a lean-to and passed it's French MOT this year.  From June 27 it has achieved ‘Véhicule de Collection’ status meaning it only needs an MOT every 5 years.

My Dad would love to have it's chassis replaced in 2019 and the body resprayed again.  I've offered to do the work but yet to put things into action.

They've had Citroen's since the 70s - I need to start documenting the history and scan in some old photos but needless to say it's full of CXs, dyanes, 2CVs, Visas, BXs, Xantias.  They currently own a C4 and they're considering a DS5.

On a secondry note, this thread also needs some hot LNA action.  This one is in a garage yard near me.  Once I have the space I may pluck up the courage to put a note through the door.

post-26538-0-54161200-1541594543_thumb.jpg

post-26538-0-42702500-1541594507_thumb.jpg

I'm envious of you Citroën owners. :)

I developed a love for the 2CV6 in summer 1987, just short of my 10th birthday. My parents bought me the August 1987 edition of What Car? magazine that featured a 'budget cars' group test. 2cv Special vs, Mini City E, Lada Riva 1200, Skoda Estelle 105 & Yugo 45a. All had a list price of around £3400 each. My working class Tory family members disliked it but I always liked it.

As I drew closer to being old enough to learn to drive I became less enthused with the prospect of owning one. I got a bit snobby about the maximum speed of 70 mph whereas the Mini and other boggo cheap to insure superminis would do 80. Bloody stupid way of thinking about it on reflection.

I always liked the Visa and the Dyane though. :)

Edited to correct the spelling of 'Dyane'. Mind you a Citroën 'Duane' sounds good too. :D

We've had this 2CV in the family since about 1990. 

attachicon.gif2CV Feb-2017.jpg

attachicon.gifSAM_11752.jpg

The original Reg was E323BMB - we called it Bomb.  In 2003 we resprayed it grey and some years before the roof went from red to black.

I learned to drive in this car and drove it about for about 6 weeks after i passed my test.  The baffles had gone out of the exhaust so it sounded great - was a shame to fit a new silencer.

Then at the end of 2003 it went off to France with my Mum & Dad who decided to finally move to Brittany.

Now it lives under a lean-to and passed it's French MOT this year.  From June 27 it has achieved ‘Véhicule de Collection’ status meaning it only needs an MOT every 5 years.

My Dad would love to have it's chassis replaced in 2019 and the body resprayed again.  I've offered to do the work but yet to put things into action.

They've had Citroen's since the 70s - I need to start documenting the history and scan in some old photos but needless to say it's full of CXs, dyanes, 2CVs, Visas, BXs, Xantias.  They currently own a C4 and they're considering a DS5.

On a secondry note, this thread also needs some hot LNA action.  This one is in a garage yard near me.  Once I have the space I may pluck up the courage to put a note through the door.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170606_053142.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170606_053206.jpg

Have you unearthed a UK LN or are you in France yourself?

UK LN/A owners are lonely people!

Some detective work (google) found that the car probably came from Belgium but now resides in the Suffolk countryside.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170606_053417.jpg

If anyone wants details, let me know, looked complete but no idea if it's still there or if it's even for sale.

I do have an interest and would like to know more but I am near Buckingham.

I have room to park it and do have one of the three UK running LNAs.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170606_053142.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170606_053206.jpg

When was your photo take?

Is it still there?

One just like it was sold on ebay recently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-LNA-Hatch-1980s-Classic-LHD-2CV-Motor-652cc-in-BURNISHED-COPPER-/202481141181?nma=true&si=TtI0b2GOrazf9xMVufjMlCFOyqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had a '85 Special a few years ago (C300 GNO). Bought it with the intention of taking it to Normandy, but sadly never got round to it before selling it on. I'll try and dig some photos up later.

After my yellow '79 Mini 1275GT, it's probably the car I regret selling the most.

post-18101-0-45777700-1541711349_thumb.jpg

A good one will do a lot* more than 71.5

Dyanes are rocket ships compared to 2cv, every Dyane I've had was quite happy with the needle off the end of the speedo :)

Here's my Dyane that I've had for longer than I care to think about. She's been to several world 2cv meetings, I think the last one was in Slovenia.

post-18019-0-75778600-1541955075_thumb.jpg

She needs a bit of work now, I have new floors, sills, bulkheads and a new chassis. Just need the time to get the spanners out.

I'm not planning in restoring any more fucked French houses so I might get time soon*

Officially, Dyanes could go about 5mph faster. But because they were made from better quality materials and to a slightly higher quality (they cost nearly twice what a base 2cv did), as well as being a much better design, I always found I'd be doing 10mph more in a Dyane if driven as hard as a 2cv. They're really capable cars, just not conventional like a R4 and released way too late to be a real success.

The wings are as complex and aerodynamic a shape (given the parameters) as I've ever seen on any car.

I have had four (three 2cvs and a Dyane). I may have photos somewhere, but not scanned, so you'll be lucky if I can find them and do some ebay style potatocam photos of photos. First 2cv was a blue R reg bought out of the local paper as a spare car when I lived in Chippenham in the mid 1980s. It was a lazy starter which meant the battery normally lived in my porch attached to a trickle charger. I gave it to a mate who was even more hard up than I was, sadly it did not last long after and had a Viking funeral. I think I bought the Dyane the following winter, this was a 74 in two tone red and blue (it was red with one blue door). This had the smaller engine and drum brakes, I used it through the winter and sold it in the spring. The next two came together in 2000, one was a white and green dolly, the other an older square lamp in orange. They came as a pair in a deal in which their previous owner had my Trabant. The dolly was quite tidy and had a galvanised chassis, this went to my TR7 owning mate as a spare car, he sold it on when his sister gave him her Astra. The orange one sat up the side of my house for a while, eventually going to a nice German chap from Carmarthenshire who was going to rebuild it. I've always fancied one of the van versions, but they are no longer cheap.

I’m one of the minority that prefer the Dyane. Really like the shape of them, what was the reasoning behind running the 2CV alongside the Dyane?

The shape of the Dyane's wings is awesome, a mix of really complex angles and compound curves for the best wind-cheating, given the parameters. When they're smart and the front wings line up well, it's a really sharp-looking car. But they don't quite do shabbiness as well as the 2cv. Nearly twice the price, nearly twice as good. At some things.