Show me your 2CV and other A Series Citroens please

Six-cylinder

• 5 months later...

I've had an increasing hankering for a 2CV for a while now, but didn't want (and couldn't possibly afford) a £10,000+ shinier-than-new one .Then this turned up for sale and I kept looking at the advert until I decided to give in and go and take a look at it. It was delivered yesterday and moving it forward a bit then reversing it in to the garage marked the first time I'd ever driven a 2CV. It's going to need  at least some fresh metal, a pair of headlights and the handbrake sorting out before I can get it MOT'd, and possibly a new roof afterwards. I'll spend this weekend unbolting bits from it to see exactly how much work it's going to need, but I'm delighted to have finally got one.

Interestingly* the number plate is close to the 2CV that appeared on the cover of issue 5 of Jalopy, so presumably from the same dealer originally.

2cv1.thumb.jpg.0ef52801c30c1e25a7c84ed0f506fe57.jpg

Looks like an honest car. They don’t hide rust very well- it’s all on show! What is the chassis like? Replaced? I only ask as that Venturi panel over the front wing looks quite distorted. 

ecas2cvparts.co.uk has nearly everything you need, but also burton2cvparts.com as sixcyl found can be good value even including postage. The roof he bought is very good quality for the money. 

43 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Looks like an honest car. They don’t hide rust very well- it’s all on show! What is the chassis like? Replaced? I only ask as that Venturi panel over the front wing looks quite distorted. 

ecas2cvparts.co.uk has nearly everything you need, but also burton2cvparts.com as sixcyl found can be good value even including postage. The roof he bought is very good quality for the money. 

It's had a galvanized chassis at some point, but I don't know who made it. I'm aware that some of them are better than others.

Excellent choice Eifion! We love our 2CV and I’m sure you’ll love yours too! 

Just need to get it ready for the September Chumley meet and that’ll be another 2CV in attendance!! 

Theres a great active group up here in North Wales, the Cheshire Dragons, we meet monthly near Ruthin (not a million miles away) You and Mrs Eifion would be very welcome. There’s loads of friendly advice around on Facebook etc too. 

I’m fairly local and up for popping over if you want a hand! (Not That in any way I'm an expert or even barely competent!) 

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime! 

How many AS 2CVs does that put us at now? 

I have a blue 1979 Dyane 6 Weekend that I’ve kept off the road since 2005 (fixing up houses and having kids etc has got in the way). It’s currently in a friend’s aircraft hangar awaiting me to bring it up to my new house. It’s definitely going to get back to the road and is staying. I’ve had it since 2002.

I've previously had 2cvs. First car in 1996 was a red 1986 Special. Sold it a year later, bought it back, knackered, in 2000. Rebuilt it with the help of a 1987 car bought for £100 (I know...) then went straight out for the Plymouth-Santander ferry. Drove it down to Andalusia, stayed a week then up to France and Switzerland. I think the only running repair was a bean can exhaust fix.

It was pretty much gone a couple of years later after using it for work driving all over Dartmoor etc and I scrapped the shell/chassis and recycled certain parts into other cars.

In 2002 I bought a 1987 Charleston (Grey/Grey) that had been laid up for five years for £120. Stored it for five years, A-framed it up to the Tyne valley from Devon, then did a re-chassis and body refurb (wasn’t bad) in two weeks of very solid work, including a couple of overnighters. Got an MOT at 12pm on the Friday then promptly used it as my wedding car the next morning after the wedding band had helped me polish it!

Fast forward ten years and I sold her to one of my mates who helped polish her for the wedding. She lasted longer than the marriage! Now she lives in Normandy.

Once I’ve made the space and sorted out my new house I’ll get my Dyane back on the road. I much prefer the Dyane to drive and live with. Details like the face level air vents are fantastic. It’s like a 2cv that has had all of the annoying bits ironed out but all the character and ability has been kept - no expanded upon.

Just to annoy you all, I should add that my Dyane was free, along with a Mimosa Yellow 1978 one. It was beyond help with rust, but mechanicals were sound. Blue Dyane had duff mechanics but decent body, so I made one good one. Had this been in 2019 I’d have tried to save both as I love the yellow...

EE72E22A-9CFD-4A84-8000-BE03A8A9FE39.jpeg

4241ED16-7DC7-4F5F-B2B8-970A14813A58.jpeg

4 hours ago, brownnova said:

So we have 

2CV:Brownnova, 6 cyl, Dollywobbler, Richard Morris, Eifion, Meshking. 

Dyane: Chaseracer, Jimbob, Frogchod

Acadianne: Meshking

Have I missed any? 

Let's hope not. .......

Only joking.  They look like alot of fun. And ace in the snow according to a bloke I worked with.  

7 hours ago, brownnova said:

So we have 

2CV:Brownnova, 6 cyl, Dollywobbler, Richard Morris, Eifion, Meshking. 

Have I missed any? 

My 'rare' two-tone Yugoslavian Ami-super is an AM series ,  so I'm mostly here. ;)  ..albeit with intent to sell her soon (should anyone be interested ?)

P1280275a.thumb.jpg.180ffde22e3124757f4638d82ef5a74f.jpg

P1290641.JPG

And don't Mr and Mrs Six-cylinder rattle around in a very nice 2cv too ? < here >

...along with Ami super Paul  (junior member with only 3 posts but 7 likes ) 

...   ...  and then of course Jonny69 and his ridiculous rubbish flimsy Shitroen Ami 6  < here > ..which is definitely an A-series  (Dollywobbler if you still have an itch for a 6 -  Jonny was looking to sell his). 

Bfg

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

So we have 

2CV:Brownnova, 6 cyl, Dollywobbler, Richard Morris, Eifion. 

Ami: Bfg, Johnny69

It’s a good list! 

1 hour ago, eifion said:

Nice. Is blue with white wings a standard colour scheme? There's one near me just like yours.

Nah, plastic wings. Can’t be arsed to paint them. Where’s that? I’ve never seen another like mine.

18 minutes ago, Meter rat said:

Nah, plastic wings. Can’t be arsed to paint them. Where’s that? I’ve never seen another like mine.

You answered the question that I thought about but didn't ask, plastic wings from ECAS?

Have you still got the Bleu Celeste you were going to town on before the sprogs?

I have indeed. That's the one that's safely squirelled away in my sister's garage.

I'll maybe finish it this summer.

(Just like I said last year, and the year before etc.)

To be fair to myself though, I did have an intense year or so rebuilding the bodyshell etc of the Charleston recently.