Jump to content
LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! & general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2.5: getting lessons and a licence! 39th lesson had. insurance got! calling off the FoD gathering for now

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

REV no, but Dolly on the left was and apart from one side being a bit crispy she is fine :) 

(I was wondering if thats why REV's fire extinguisher is missing, was it grabbed in a hurry to put out the shed fire or save dolly? that would be poetic!)

 like I said im pretty sure anything wonky looking is either an optical illusion or because of perished seals drooping etc etc

 

I hope for your sake, that is the case. Add it to the list of jobs for your FoD minions to tackle. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Out Run said:

I hope for your sake, that is the case. Add it to the list of jobs for your FoD minions to tackle. :-)

FoD minions? 

im just asking for volunteers thats all!, the original plan was just to during a normal FoD gathering/tinkering weekend, ask a couple shitters if they could help with REV :) (probably while @catsinthewelder's kids hijack the JCB and terrorise everyone else! :mrgreen: ) 

besides its a not roadworthiness issue, so im not worried about it in that regard, the FoD plan is just to get her road worthy and capable of leaving the FoD :) 

so cosmetics im not really thinking about at this point in time and I have more "pressing" bodywork issues like the crack down the front, (im told from when a person related to the previous owner drove it into a tree, it was repaired, but then someone tried to pick her up from there and it split again!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

FoD minions? 

im just asking for volunteers thats all!, the original plan was just to during a normal FoD gathering/tinkering weekend, ask a couple shitters if they could help with REV :) (probably while @catsinthewelder's kids hijack the JCB and terrorise everyone else! :mrgreen: ) 

besides its a not roadworthiness issue, so im not worried about it in that regard, the FoD plan is just to get her road worthy and capable of leaving the FoD :) 

so cosmetics im not really thinking about at this point in time and I have more "pressing" bodywork issues like the crack down the front, (im told from when a person related to the previous owner drove it into a tree, it was repaired, but then someone tried to pick her up from there and it split again!)

Aye, this is a Model 70, isn’t it? I could imagine them pottering around in one. :-)

 

525EDEB2-21B5-4841-A6C2-520D5CF693AA.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

twas watching @Twin-Cam's excellent recent upload on the 2CV 

and with his (and @dollywobbler's same comments on his GSA, and 2CV in the past) comments about the grill muff and it being needed bellow 10c

made me realise the Model 70 (or any other invalid vehicle) never had such a requirement, I wonder if thats because being rear engined, they obviously had less forced air cooling, so I guess less requirement for insulation when it gets cold?

 

and speaking of old timey, I realised in the spares stash there are a couple starter dogs, I will definitely have to fit one to REV at some point in time and get a starting handle for it, just for the novelty/party trick of being able to hand start her :) 

(she may well have had one when new, but currently she doesn't, im still trying to figure out if all Model 70's originally had starter dogs or if it was something that was dropped after a certain point in production)

 

I do find it rather ironic/it always tickled me that a car built specifically for the disabled had the ability to be hand started! although on a more serious note I think it just an artifact of the Steyr puch engine rather then the DHSS specifying it it!

the Model 70 never came with a starting handle and sadly I have never seen anyone actually try and hand start a Model 70

but im pretty sure you can if you had a starting handle! :) (you can see the starting dog here on TPA, ex KPL's engine)

Image from iOS (19).jpg

(I still wonder what TPA's (well ex KPLs) air filter housing is about, I have not seen it on any other Steyr puch flat twin!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

twas just checking some details 

and I noticed FMO106

this Larmar car

image.png.6017b246c014395a015aaacaa8b451c1.png

looks to have been taxed recently!

image.thumb.png.ac93862fc65b1d1d575f3c11372745f2.png

and is even showing as insured :) 

image.png.3958d6215713a24f21cbc521e01b24a7.png

I know it changed hands a while back http://rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=5583.msg45805#msg45805 and the new owner took it up a hill climb, which is quite fun to watch

its quite fun/cool to think that it may be in use still/on the road!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Christine said:

If you have a bad back you wont be hand cranking  a twin believe me.. l struggled with a  Morgan 

im obviously not planning on doing it day in and day out!

I was just musing about the novelty of it thats all! (plus its not a bad backup should the dynastart fail LOL)

im hoping @dollywobbler can track down a starting handle for TWC that would make for a good clip in one of his videos :) 

 

speaking of Model 70's it looks like the owner of MHJ107P has joined the microcar world facebook group, I have asked him if he is indeed the keeper of MHJ107P, still waiting for a response, but going by his other comments it looks like it

quite pleased by that, as until now I didn't know who the keeper of MHJ107P was

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/?multi_permalinks=2855586464484297

90563736_10221565990367952_1557996977147346944_o.thumb.jpg.415dfac35e4019a9bd68e9b59f55a379.jpg

(im also curious how he came to acquire MHJ107P as AFAIK it was last spotted for sale on ebay back in 2010!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I drove past the old Larmar works the other day (by pure chance). Seems like the business has now closed so I doubt the buildings will be long for this world. difficult to see how much of the building is 'period' but I reckon apart from the modern bit at the very front it's probably the same as the 1940s works where the cars were built.

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 17.00.43.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barrett said:

Hey, I drove past the old Larmar works the other day (by pure chance). Seems like the business has now closed so I doubt the buildings will be long for this world. difficult to see how much of the building is 'period' but I reckon apart from the modern bit at the very front it's probably the same as the 1940s works where the cars were built.

Oh thats very cool!

I never actually looked into the Larmar company, I sort just assumed they faded away at some point,

if this is anything to go by https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00374953 I think they are still in buisness :) 

so its very cool to see not only does it look like the factory still exists but the company is still in business!

 

 

also (cc @keef and @quicksilver ) as I happen to be writing this response, my FoI, partly answered my request, but still doesn't really make sense! I mean its the same response that everyone else gives you when you ask them 

"oh its for vehicles not used on the road" well duh, I was hoping they would go into a bit more detail in it!

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/information_on_the_vehicle_statu#incoming-1538232

and they never answered how a vehicle goes about acquiring the status in the first place,

 

but as I mentioned before (I Think!)

from looking at at lots of not taxed for on road use vehicles, I think the status comes into show when the DVLA simply does not hold any taxation information on the vehicle

 

ie say you register a new vehicle, but you never tax it, like an airport vehicle, or for example if in the 1970s/1980s you moved a car from a buff logbook to a V5 but never tax it because its been off the road since 1959 and still undergoing restoration  then the DVLA would have no taxation information on that vehicle

hence the status of "not taxed for on road use" since well if they have no taxation info, then its obviously not taxed for road use!

 

the only thing that throws a spanner in the works is Stuarts Peel P50, which he V765'd and registired back in 2017 BUT never/has not yet taxed it AFAIK, but instead of showing not taxed for on road use its showing as untaxed since 1st of January 1998 despite being first registered in 2017!

image.thumb.png.50c68a49aa0ea9f381dc849e5878e852.png

stuart says this is because thats when continuous SORN etc was introduced which makes sense

but courtesy of @cms206 I know of this from 1999! 

image.thumb.png.3fccf3dc288e289ad85df72db7fb6e85.png

perhaps the situation with stuarts peel is because it was a V765 jobby or such rather then a regular registration of a motor vehicle

(and obviously it was done 18 years after the Optare!)

 

so otherwise im pretty confident now in my theory that its the status the DVLA gives to vehicles they hold no taxation information on 

 

at least we now know how many not taxed for on road use vehicles there are! 224,902 according to the DVLA, which is a lot more then I was expecting!

but I guess there is a lot of plant machinery out there etc!

(my theory would also explain all the not taxed for on road use Tippen Delta's Stanley argsons and Model 64's I know of since those where relatively specialized invalid vehicles (especially in the later years) the DHSS probably had a larger number of them in reserve, for longer periods of time, then normal and obviously did not want them to get lost, so when the DVLC was formed i'm guessing the DHSS moved their buff logbooks to V5's but never taxed them since they where in the reserve fleet, hence the not taxed for on road use status as explained above)

 

 

I do know when you got tax a vehicle before confirming everything it does give you some info on it

On 9/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, egg said:

If I do SORN it..shit, someone's not taxed this car for 39 years, lol

1669262711_Screenshot_20190928-1401172.thumb.png.7605b69a52dac8587bd61a94f0443764.png

so it would be interesting to see what, say @Mrs6C's Bond equipe ACK888B which shows up as not taxed for on road use

would say in the "this vehicles previous tax/sorn expired on:" bit! 

 

 

and just for completeness sake, I do of a Larmar car that shows up as not taxed for on road use LOL

 

image.thumb.png.a95393fd895d310228bab63d39a17ff7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vantman said:

I bought a VW Beetle-897 TDV- from Square Hill Motors in the early 1960s.

:) 

5390116104_97af428417_b.jpg

(think this is my first time being able play invalid vehicle snap with a Stanley Mk7!)

ya know the more I look at the photo, the more I wonder if that Mk7 had been abandoned there? looks distinctively run down and scruffy with a broken tail light, ill fitting engine cover, and some (litirial?) crap or damage on the other wing

there is a similar shot of a Stanley Mk7 or Harper Mk6 parked by a London police station (Bow comes to mind?) I must find again at some point and see if theres a registration for me to use as a jumping off point in hopes of finding a harper that still shows up on the DVLA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found out by accident that the videos on the youtube channel run by the Steyr puch guy in Austria (who owns "KPL96P") have english subtitles :) 

so been watch his videos, and I was hoping in his Carburetor one he would explain what the differences are between the ICSx webber carbs are but sadly he does not

still an interesting watch tho :) 

 

but I was wondering if someone did know the differences?

the reason Im wondering is because as you may have seen my mention before all Model 70's I have seen have Webber 32ICS10 carbs, however I cant find any info on this weber carb

and the workshop manual only gives on the Webber 32ICS3! (and also solex carbs, but I have never seen a Model 70 with a Solex carb) 

image.thumb.png.128de5cf0f875514f8b161afce94a296.png

image.png.5be67a540e85092f1242c59f2d5a8d9a.png

so im curious what the differences are between these numbers, is it just different jetting or is it something else?

the only bit of info I can find on the ICS10 variant is here https://puch500forum.eokc.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1151

(if I am reading those posts correctly it look like the ICS9 is a bigger jetted version of the ICS10?)

but yeah it would be interesting to know what the differences are between all the these webber 32ICSxx carbs are! I think there is 32ICS 1 3 6 9 and 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ya know the more I look at the photo, the more I wonder if that Mk7 had been abandoned there? looks distinctively run down and scruffy with a broken tail light, ill fitting engine cover, and some (litirial?) crap or damage on the other wing

It has the remains of a GB badge on the back also... so possibly it had travelled abroad at some point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

found out by accident that the videos on the youtube channel run by the Steyr puch guy in Austria (who owns "KPL96P") have english subtitles :) 

so been watch his videos, and I was hoping in his Carburetor one he would explain what the differences are between the ICSx webber carbs are but sadly he does not

still an interesting watch tho :) 

 

but I was wondering if someone did know the differences?

the reason Im wondering is because as you may have seen my mention before all Model 70's I have seen have Webber 32ICS10 carbs, however I cant find any info on this weber carb

and the workshop manual only gives on the Webber 32ICS3! (and also solex carbs, but I have never seen a Model 70 with a Solex carb) 

image.thumb.png.128de5cf0f875514f8b161afce94a296.png

image.png.5be67a540e85092f1242c59f2d5a8d9a.png

so im curious what the differences are between these numbers, is it just different jetting or is it something else?

the only bit of info I can find on the ICS10 variant is here https://puch500forum.eokc.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1151

(if I am reading those posts correctly it look like the ICS9 is a bigger jetted version of the ICS10?)

but yeah it would be interesting to know what the differences are between all the these webber 32ICSxx carbs are! I think there is 32ICS 1 3 6 9 and 10

The 'numbers' usually indicate jetting variations. Usually, it's the Italians we're talking about. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, red5 said:

The 'numbers' usually indicate jetting variations. Usually, it's the Italians we're talking about. 😁

ah cool I had thought it was something such

it would be interesting to know if anyone has more details or like a weber datasheet/catalog of sorts :) 

(does remind me is Dolly carburettor still at Zels or has that found its way back home?, because when we finally are able to get to the FoD we can finally install it and see if Dolly will idle and if she will idle see if she can move/drive! which is a very exciting prospect!)

36 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

It has the remains of a GB badge on the back also... so possibly it had travelled abroad at some point...

indeed I brought the photo up when talking about British invalid vehicles visiting other countries :) 

 

I do wonder where it went to!  

On 3/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I do wonder what it would cost to get it back to the UK, I suspect more then however much it would have cost to ship ONO454D back to the UK from NI and I sadly couldn't find a buyer for that one on here, so I think finding an AS buyer for this one in SA might be a bit far fetched!

I  have heard of someone supposedly taking their Villers powered Machine to Spain and (assumingly!) back home, that must of been fun flat out at 45Mph!

(and I know another, of a Catholic priest taking his Model 70 to france and back via the motorways in the 1980s)

and here is a picture of a Stanley Mk7 with the remains of a GB sticker on the back!

5390116104_97af428417_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

(does remind me is Dolly carburettor still at Zels or has that found its way back home?, because when we finally are able to get to the FoD we can finally install it and see if Dolly will idle and if she will idle see if she can move/drive! which is a very exciting prospect!)

It's at home, all nice and clean and and put back together  ( @Zelandeth - thank you! :-) ) as is the inlet manifold on which @Andyrew very kindly mended the broken bracket that holds ther air cleaner stay. It will be good to be able to put it all back together in due course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weber revision numbers just denote updates to the carb itself, where as jetting is not serial number defined as the same 32DIR(3) for instance can have a multitude of jet calibrations depending on whether catalyst equipped or not, compression ratio,unleaded ignition profile etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mrs6C said:

It's at home, all nice and clean and and put back together  ( @Zelandeth - thank you! :-) ) as is the inlet manifold on which @Andyrew very kindly mended the broken bracket that holds ther air cleaner stay. It will be good to be able to put it all back together in due course.

Ah awesome :)

I knew Zel had cleaned it up and unblocked the blocked idle jet (and @Andyrew had welded the broken bracket back together)

but I was not sure if the carb had found its way back home or not :) 

getting REV's carb cleaned the same is on the list, but thankfully is not a necessity as she does run and drive, but im sure after 43 years it probably would not be a bad idea to have it done!

it also reminds me @dollywobbler when you ordered bits from haflinger technik did they do premade kits like a service kit or such, or did you have to order each bit/gasket individually? just thinking ahead slightly

1 minute ago, Jikovron said:

Weber revision numbers just denote updates to the carb itself, where as jetting is not serial number defined as the same 32DIR(3) for instance can have a multitude of jet calibrations depending on whether catalyst equipped or not, compression ratio,unleaded ignition profile etc.

ah interesting! it means the Model 70 has the latest version of the Webber 32ICS then? again I wonder what the changes where :) 

I wonder what TWC's carb is? given she is an early Model 70  I wonder if she has a 32ICS10 or a 32ICS3 as mentioned in the workshop manual? (also in the same vein I wonder what her original engines engine number is too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got an email from the DVSA today informing me my new test date is on the 29th of June,which fits in with what they said about driving tests being cancelled for 3 months

glad to know what my new date is at least! in someways im hoping this whole virus thing/lockdown comes to a safe end a little while before my new test date, because as I mentioned before

I really do want to go for a drive with another shitter or my mum or some experienced other driver, just to get an external review of my driving and see if there's anything I missed or tips I should know about etc (and also because id finally get to drive some other vehicle! :) )

(I do wonder about how I have had so many lessons i have had, and I do wonder if its because I aint a good learner or if maybe I would do better with a different instructor?, im reluctant to say my instructor is bad, he is a good chap, but I do wonder if that makes sense...)

 

 

also got a picture of a Model 70 I did not have a picture of until now :) not the best photo but im happy with whatever I can get!, im pretty sure this one is MEV419P but im just waiting to verify that before adding the picture to the list on page 24

image.thumb.png.cd4dd880a160ebb723834cd3163d67d2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get too attached to that date, it could well wind up getting pushed back further depending on how things go.  Events in my diary in August have already been cancelled by the organisers and it's entirely possible this will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Hopefully it will be sorted by then, but for now all you can do is twiddle your thumbs and wait really.

Just sorry I can't offer any driving practice really at the moment (lockdown aside obviously!) because of the joys of insurance meaning I can't get short term cover for you on any of my vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, just a waiting game at this point as you say

53 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Just sorry I can't offer any driving practice really at the moment (lockdown aside obviously!) because of the joys of insurance meaning I can't get short term cover for you on any of my vehicles.

well, just quickly using the insurance company we used for the Lada, I see they will at least entertain the idea of insuring the Xantia in that it will show up on their system and gives me the option to  fill in the rest of the boxes and proceed with the quote 

the Van doesn't show up and is not in the drop down list of cars, and the Jag goes "we found it but we cant insure it" unsurprisingly LOL

so potentially the Xantia might be an option? however I did not go very far with the quote so who knows maybe when you fill it all out thats when they tell you nope! (although of all your vehicles, beside the Model 70! I really want to have a go in the van the most :) that and the C5) 

 

otherwise if all else fails, @Cavcraft what's your daily hire rate for the Lada? :mrgreen:

 

(also as a side note, on said temp insurance site, a 2CV will show up and does not get automatically rejected, which is good, because id love to have a go in a 2CV at some point!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

      I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

      So...we've got:

      1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

      Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

      Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.


      Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

       






      Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...









      Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.







      Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

      Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...



      Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

      Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.



      Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

      I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
×
×
  • Create New...