How bad can it be? Peugeot 306

pandamonium

Well, that was a short lived dream.

Had booked to go away a week in August with my little boy, and he's been looking forward to it a lot.

However he's also been on the waiting list for a tonsillectomy and can you guess when they have booked it for? Yep, in the middle of our week away. Been told we can't change it so have to cancel. And no refunds, so lost all the money. We've found somewhere else the week prior but it has eaten into the 'car fund'.

Let's hope the Mini limps into September...

I had a P plate TD version, had 285k by the time someone drove into the back of it and wrote it off, had very little done to the engine throughout its life, was clocked to 70k by the scrap man and put back on the road to do another 18 months, best car Peugeot ever made imo, GIB!

I remember that one!  Bloody fine little chariot, was that.

It's survived this long, it's probably okay. There's not much to go wrong with these except for the rear axles and some hidden rust in the rear quarters.

An old mechanically controlled diesel is as simple as it gets.

This. The rear quarter rust can be catastrophic mind. Otherwise ace little cars, slow but if takes the veg they're about as perfect a car for £350 as you'll find.

I remember that one! Bloody fine little chariot, was that.

Yep, wish I'd kept it, did Ok tho, bought for £300 of a mate drove for 18m, put 40k on it some of it on bio, then written off and insurance paid out £1200 +£50 from scrap man..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Well, that was a short lived dream.

Had booked to go away a week in August with my little boy, and he's been looking forward to it a lot.

However he's also been on the waiting list for a tonsillectomy and can you guess when they have booked it for? Yep, in the middle of our week away. Been told we can't change it so have to cancel. And no refunds, so lost all the money. We've found somewhere else the week prior but it has eaten into the 'car fund'.

Let's hope the Mini limps into September...

That's not really acceptable, just put a complaint into pals (patient advice and liaison service), or try and talk to ENT secretary or waiting list co-ordinator. It's not the end of the world to delay that procedure for a week or two.

Any Pergot or shitron with a 1.9 XUD will dissolve in the rain before the engine is shot. NA ones aren't particularly powerful but for an 80's dizzler they're pretty refined and thrifty on the juice. Can easily squeeze 60mpg out of one with giffer driving.

I'd either tell the hospital it clashes with something pre-arranged or tell the travel agents that it's an unplanned medical procedure. Latter may get you back at least a partial refund if you have ATOL protection.

1.9D, so it won't exactly be a ball of fire. On the other hand, you will never, ever need to rev it beyond 3000rpm. There's no point.

Agree with this, I had the slightly newer version of the non turbo XUD the DW8, once you got past 3000rpm it just got louder rather than faster. On the other hand it did make it to over 200,000 miles and still used no oil between oil changes.

I always wanted a GTi6 so i got one off ebay a few years ago. Upon arrival the thing had been maintained by a child and there was a home made stero mount made out of filler and painted.

Driving it home down the a1 the wing liner came out and rattled round the wheel a few times before flying down the road. Was a bit of a sign.

Loads of engine bolts were loose on the rocker, and it turned out the castle rails were all smashed in from rust and someone using them as jacking points. It also had a few holes in the inner wings.

Pretty solid buid quality for a french car. not anywhere near as fast as i had expected though.

Swapped it in the end for a 92 Xantia which was one of my all time favourite cars. I miss it.

It was a cheapy Sun holiday, so no refunds. I've 'only' lost £150.

My son lives with my ex most of the time, so that would be her call, and she wouldn't change it.

If it a sun holiday i guess its a Haven park? If so i deal with them a lot and are very good. Explain the problems and they may help.

Agree with this, I had the slightly newer version of the non turbo XUD the DW8, once you got past 3000rpm it just got louder rather than faster. On the other hand it did make it to over 200,000 miles and still used no oil between oil changes.

The DW8 isn't as good as the XUD9, it feels gutless in comparison.

Does shuffling round doctors surgery car parks with the engine at 4000rpm get 60mpg? I’ve been doing this eco driving all wrong

most of the old farts round here drive little Japanese or Korean things (i10, Yaris etc) with some kind of automated cog shifter. 20mph on any road with the most appropriate gear selected* by a magic box under the bonnet.

Varies from region to region, though I know the type you mean. Normally found near Whitstable.