Wilko220

New members, introduce yourself here.

Hi Shiters

I'm new to the forum and a bit new to the game of burning through bargain high millage motors, so bare with me. I'm sure there will be some laughable, most definitely hands to the head moments with anything I undertake or purchase.

The tred-marks of shite cars left over the years by me is testament to the fact it will all end in swear words and the shaking of heads in disbelief. Although some seemed good at the time, others not so but among them were VW Polo, Ford Capri Laser 2L, Sierra 2i DOHC (a pokey beast of a motor), too many XR2's, Mini Van, a fun Land Rover 1969 Series II... the list goes on and ends in a col de sac.

Currently the proud owner of a 2003 Golf SDI Mk4, hence my username in reverse. I wanted something cheap, very reliable and cheap. It ticks all the boxes for me. As a bonus it also helped to improve my driving. The thing is so damn slow you dare not take any risks in it.

I've my eye on a couple of cars, one being a Golf Mk4 1.9 TDI the other being a Jaguar X-type diesel estate. A Golf TDI has just come up and I'm waiting on a reply from the seller. The car would make a great project for myself and my 10 year old son so I'm hoping to get this one. Having had one before they are great little cars.

Hopefully I can learn from you guys what to watch out for. While looking to you for the "get out of jail free card" with any unforeseen head scratching moments I should encounter.  I've been lurking in the sump pan of this forum for a while, and having learnt a few things already I've also felt the pain, laughed and read "freds" with great interest with some forum members and their projects.

In return l hope to bring a bit of fun and interest to the forum.

spacer.png

Already half-introduced myself in another thread, but will do it once more with feeling for the sake of formalities:

Hello esteemed league of shedders, bargers and shitters. I’m a 28 year accountant from Northern Ireland - as far as Tinder bios go, this is one of the sexier ones I’ve come up with. I’ve been driving for 13 years (thanks for Florida for letting adolescents operate heavy machinery - as a 15 year old, I was licensed to drive any vehicle with a gross weight of 26,000lbs. Mind boggling). From there, I’ve driven all manner of shonky skips-on-wheels, ranging from a big-block ‘74 Ford Ranchero to a manual mid-90s Mustang Cobra via some old Lexus LS’ and E-Classes.

When I passed my test over here, I set about committing my own automotive deviancies; I had a ‘90 Range Rover Vogue with the 3.9 and a non-functioning first gear (which, with an auto, is a right pain in the dick), which got booted and replaced with a ‘95 Mitsubishi FTO that kept seizing brake callipers. It was an auto too, a merit which won it the award of “Most God-Awful Engine-Gearbox Pairing In The History Of Engine-Gearbox Pairings, Maybe Ever”. It also got waved on its merry way and replaced with an E36 328i, with a rattle can paint job performed by one of its 18(!) previous owners in its 190k miles. It also bit the dust. Then I had a Ford Puma with the 1.7 Yamaha engine for the sum total of a week before the rozzers pulled me over to inform me that the reputable gentleman I had bought it off had himself procured it without the previous owner’s consent, so it was taken away to the great scrappy in the sky.

Given that all of the above happened in the space of 10 months, when an elderly relative gifted me an ‘07 Focus 1.6 Titanium I decided that maybe risky picks weren’t my style, and that I should play it sensible. That’s exactly what I did, for 5 years and 72k miles. It was a fine slogger, giving no issues outside of routine maintenance. However, I decided that I was fed up of having a rainy day fund and so flogged the Focus to my sister-in-law and so have found myself back in a BMW, this time an ‘04 525i Touring with mileage the wrong side of 167,000. I’ve owned it 3 months, which it’s spent 40% off not working, owing to electrical gremlins that slowly but surely killed everything that it needed until finally the alternator said “Nah bruv, I’m done”. Got that replaced - had a bit of free time come up recently - and now she’s purring like an elderly asthmatic cat, as the cam sensor’s shot and an airbag light’s come on, and the blower doesn’t work, and the rear light cluster keeps blowing bulbs, and the TPW keeps thinking there’s a puncture, and, and, and....

It’s either great that I’ve found a society of similarly-afflicted individuals, or it’ll be a dreadful enabler. Either way, goes to show that fools seldom differ. Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of an automatic Safrane or XM then that’d be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, LuxoBroke said:

@Eyersey1234 Thanks very much, its not too bad, it photographs well, it could really do with some paintwork, but I prefer it to be as it is and usable, rather than be mint and scared to take it out at all. 

I prefer cars to be useable too and not so pristine they don't get used. The MGB is the same colour as one my mum's cousin's had about 25 years ago. 

Hi everyone, I've been lurking far to long so thought It best to join in the fun.

Nothing notable shite wise at the moment, just a high mileage diesel Zafira, Vectra diesel estate and an ungrateful hateful bastard of a Shogun, so all prime shite in a few years/or now depending of your point of view!

I had a nice collection of tat a few years ago but life got in the way, but I'm thinking of having another go at it.

High/lowlights:

Mk1 Cavalier sportshatch

Mk3 2.0 laser Capri

Series 3 XJ6

Series 2 Daimler XJ6C - really regret letting this one go

Series 2 XJ6

Vauxhall Senator 2.5 A2

Vauxhall Victor 2.3 FE

Mk1 Fiesta

And quite a few more but this is the most I've ever typed on a public forum so I'll stop, as I do have a habit of going on...........

Cheers

Popsicle

On 5/15/2020 at 8:31 AM, njic said:

Hi Shiteonians...Use name of 'njic'  (not just incompetent) oh no...I'm also old grey fat & ugly aswell...I was always ugly but I wasn't always old 👴 I run a 1962 SAAB 2-stroke complete with cloads of blue smoke.

You will often see me chugging around S.E London/Kent rural areas and I reside in Biggin Hill. I always live for the old days...ho hum!   

Pictures! Pictures! We (well I) demand pictures!

Welcome to a fellow 2smoker

evening all. this site was recommended by a friend of mine. said I would fit right in with the cars i tend to buy lol.

At the moment I am inpossession of an Austin allegro estate that has been brush painted the wrong colour.  a beige poverty spec mk4 cortina. a brush painted transit van and a few mg rover vehicles including an MG ZT and an MG ZR

Hello all, I'm Rob! I live in beautiful north east Scotland but I'm actually from Southport. Moved up here just over a year ago and I'm bloody loving it. 

I have a keen interest in the crushingly dull and outstandingly ordinary and would much rather own an Austin Allegro than anything fast and sporty.

Anyway, nice to be here.

38 minutes ago, Gag Halfrunt said:

Hello all, I'm Rob! I live in beautiful north east Scotland but I'm actually from Southport. Moved up here just over a year ago and I'm bloody loving it. 

I have a keen interest in the crushingly dull and outstandingly ordinary and would much rather own an Austin Allegro than anything fast and sporty.

Anyway, nice to be here.

Welcome, ooh an Allegro you will fit in well 

23 minutes ago, Brandon94 said:

Hi all,I'm Brandon, live in Settle, North yorks, drive a 93 polo breadvan, my first and only car even if it is shit, been watching HubNut for a good few years so thought was about time i joined he forum.
f75a178fda5f68b6a281397b8884d4e6.jpg

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Chodtastic Polo you have there, my dad had a couple years ago, a red A reg one then a couple of years later a blue D reg one

Chodtastic Polo you have there, my dad had a couple years ago, a red A reg one then a couple of years later a blue D reg one
I'd love a early mk2 myself, they suffer like alot of old VW do with owners that only care about "scene points" and alot of good cars parted out.
Surprisingly practical as well, no rear seats in mine, I've carted essentially another polo in the back minus the chassis and panels. Interesting journey to say the least.44a7fcfc17cc42a70b208829867f61e2.jpg

evening all- been lurking for a while, made an account in feb and promptly forgot the password. currently drive the most wonderful renault clio with a mighty 1.2 litre engine propelling it along. also owned a honda civic areodeck for a month last year (almost a year ago actually), but didnt reallly enjoy it because it cost over 1k which is a little much for me lmao. the clio has been tastefully* modified, adding 50bhp

20190715_171826.jpg

20200527_201027.jpg

6 hours ago, Brandon94 said:

Hi all,I'm Brandon, live in Settle, North yorks, drive a 93 polo breadvan, my first and only car even if it is shit, been watching HubNut for a good few years so thought was about time i joined he forum.

Your first car is always the greatest of all. Even if it’s a bit shit. Welcome aboard 👍

On 5/25/2020 at 7:24 AM, Saabnut said:

Pictures! Pictures! We (well I) demand pictures!

Welcome to a fellow 2smoker

Hi Saabnut...Sorry for late reply...been away from site for a bit...The Bullnose is an ex-'john saab' from Worthing East Sussex. I've had her (named Camilla) for around ten years now. I would love to see your stroker. There are quite a few in Scotland I believe.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0001.JPG

8 hours ago, njic said:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0001.JPG

So it was you who stole Camilla from under me was it! :-) I went to see John with a view to buying Camilla. I loved the car but decided for once to be sensible, and said I would think about it rather than do my usual impetuous buy. By the time I decided to buy, John told me I had been beaten to it. Glad to see she still looks superb. If you decide to sell, please give me first refusal! Sadly I am away from home at the moment so do not have many pictures with me but my two stroker is a little different...

Sonett.thumb.jpg.24e0f5f3a44629faa4f3e31fe96c54a4.jpg

What a beautiful Sonett (sorry if I have mis-spelt the name). I would love to have the stroker version like yours. From memory (and that doesn't say much) John told me that you brought a trailer down as well.

Are you JW ? Can't remember what John said now. Keep well and I hope that we can talk soon.

1 hour ago, EddieCochran said:

Hi my name's Jeff :) Nice to be here to read everyone's posts.I'd love to own an older car and hopefully will in the near future.A 1950's frogeye sprite and a 1970's Ford Cortina Mk3 GXL four door would be cool :)

Welcome to the forum. 

On 5/30/2020 at 9:34 AM, njic said:

What a beautiful Sonett (sorry if I have mis-spelt the name). I would love to have the stroker version like yours. From memory (and that doesn't say much) John told me that you brought a trailer down as well.

Are you JW ? Can't remember what John said now. Keep well and I hope that we can talk soon.

Close, I am Nick W (TFatC on UKSaabs) and John is correct, I had a classic car garage in those days and I had just delivered a car to a customer in Brighton, hence the trailer. I really regret not buying your car at the time, it is filed as "one that got away".

My brother lives in Crawley so maybe one day we can get Camilla and my Sonett together for back to back runs, the Sonett is "tweaked" so is very different from any other two stroke I have driven.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, Brandon94 said:

I spent 3 years living in Long Preston....it was great in summer. 

14 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Close, I am Nick W (TFatC on UKSaabs) and John is correct, I had a classic car garage in those days and I had just delivered a car to a customer in Brighton, hence the trailer. I really regret not buying your car at the time, it is filed as "one that got away".

My brother lives in Crawley so maybe one day we can get Camilla and my Sonett together for back to back runs, the Sonett is "tweaked" so is very different from any other two stroke I have driven.

Hi Nick...It would be great to meet you...pm me on UKS (llovegrace) when you might be in the area. Always welcome for a cuppa.