Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

Had a poke about at this t'other night. Decided I'd start by opening up its face

P1080857.jpg

P1080855.jpg

You can see where Al Bundy has been busy in here with the red oxide. My plan is to fix a little rust hole under the RH headlight, clean it  allup and jenolite the bits of surface rust, seal the welding seams, and paint it in here. Just bought a big tin of Oxford Blue 'Tekaloid' paint which is what I plan to paint the whole thing with eventually, but this seems as good a place as any to start working through it.

P1080861.jpg

Headlamp lenses are both loose. These headlights are made from serious unobtanium now so I plan to just clean em up, tigerseal the lenses back on and reinstall.

P1080864.jpg

The Radiator is not great:

P1080863.jpg

I have found an aluminium one on the bay for a R50 Mini Cooper (!) that looks like it will fit quite well, but will need an extra pipe stub welding on. I think I'm gonna go for it but its £100 and I'm a bit skint so it'll have to wait a little while. Theyre 110bhp I think, so i reckon it will have enough heat dissipation even if it seems a bit odd to fit a Mini radiator on a lorry.

P1080856.jpg

This looks like a right bollock. The scuttle panel has got some bad rot in it still, we're looking upwards at it from the engine bay here. I think I can tackle this myself, but i might have to take the dash out to make a nice job of it. Luckily the Dodge only has about 10 wires so hopefully it will not be too horrific a job.

P1080858.jpg

Gratuitous interior pic for Zelandeth. You can see how much sound deadening there is on the bulkhead! 

It is great this thing, despite being a rotten old eyesore on my drive. I'm just gonna work my way through the lorry bit getting it ship shape before I do owt with the box on the back. I want to drive it about knowing that its 'ok' electrically and mechanically.

Wow that's ... fantastically crap sound deadening. No wonder it's loud! The Merc has about twenty times as much sound insulation. That's not even counting the 3/4" thick foam on the back of the engine cover.

That scuttle panel looks about what mine would be if left unchecked for a few more years. Thankfully it's mostly still there in my case. Surprising how similar the rot spots seem to be...

Does look like a nice proper large van/small lorry cab though.

The Dodge 50 does at least have some attempt at sound insulation on the engine cover.  Its predecessor, the Commer Walkthrough, just had a single-skinned tin cover over the almost-as-noisy 4.236 engine.  Now that really did make your ears ring after a while.

Bet it's not as loud as the 2.4td Vauxhall/Bedford Midi I had about 8 years ago. Feck me it was noisy. At 70mph any conversations that was one wished to have with passengers had to be shouted whilst the isuzu lump screamed it's arse off.

This stress was then compounded by a column gear change which the driver operated on the scientific principle of ip dip bird shit. You were just as likely to engage 1st at 50mph as you were 5th! Hateful van! .... would buy another. Now browsing eBay:)

Sounds like the one I had.  The main issue it had on the motorway was that there was almost no discernible difference between 4th and 5th - shift into 5th at 60mph and you lost maybe 50rpm.  Useless.

Helping a mate move house a few years ago, I got the borrowed Midi full of shed ramel to drive.

The Midis owner was driving his newer transit. (He wasn't daft.)

"Have you ever driven a column change before?" He asked me.

"Once, ages ago" I replied.

"Yeah?, Well you haven't driven one like this... The gears hide!"

And with that he was gone.

1st, up to 10mph, 2nd, up to 25mph, 3rd, up to 35, 4th... Err... No, what about there?..Coast for a bit... no, how about....CRUNCH! No, must be here somewhere....

I'd now slowed to about 15mph. 2nd it is then.

Repeat for 20 miles....

Helping a mate move house a few years ago, I got the borrowed Midi full of shed ramel to drive.

The Midis owner was driving his newer transit. (He wasn't daft.)

"Have you ever driven a column change before?" He asked me.

"Once, ages ago" I replied.

"Yeah?, Well you haven't driven one like this... The gears hide!"

And with that he was gone.

1st, up to 10mph, 2nd, up to 25mph, 3rd, up to 35, 4th... Err... No, what about there?..Coast for a bit... no, how about....CRUNCH! No, must be here somewhere....

I'd now slowed to about 15mph. 2nd it is then.

Repeat for 20 miles....

Exactly what mine was like, if I was lucky enough to find 4th I just left it there no matter what the speed as I never knew if I would find it again :)

For the radiator, go for something that’s got similar bhp and you’ll be close enough.

If the Dodge makes 70bhp (I’m guessing here, maybe you dream of that much and need 3 turbos to do it) then find a car with 80ish bhp and use that radiator.

Try and find one with the same frontal area as the existing radiator and only go for a double row or triple row (depth) if you need to.

I don't understand the logic to this - on one hand it makes sense as assuming the engines are of similar thermal efficiency, they will have to dissipate the same amount of heat per bhp generated. But in that case why does my 95bhp van have a massively bigger radiator (area and thickness) than a 95bhp motorbike? Is it just due to the likely amount of time spent under high load that the bike engine will be under compared with the van's? (I.e. the bike is under-cooled but it doesn't matter as you'll be off the throttle soon enough, or it'll be at silly enough speeds that the airflow is enough to compensate?)

Yeah, it's not really about the power of the engine, but the prolonged power it'll produce.

A little hatchback with 100bhp will only a fraction of that for a short amount of time before getting up to speed, but a big old truck will run at full power for long periods of time.

I see the Photobucket site seems to have disappeared completely, I'm glad I didn't pay their demand for £500 or whatever it was! They have just had £20 off me though. Fuckers.

I still can’t quite believe that photo bouquet went from a hugely successful formula with masses of users, to royally buggering most of said users with its overnight demands for large handfuls of groats, and ultimately ending its days as a penniless drunkard at the least desirable social club.

Yeah, it's not really about the power of the engine, but the prolonged power it'll produce.

A little hatchback with 100bhp will only a fraction of that for a short amount of time before getting up to speed, but a big old truck will run at full power for long periods of time.

No, it’s not about how long it produces the power, when you’re designing a radiator (which I did for a few years) you design it for maximum power all the time.

As I’m on my phone and multi quote is a pain, the basics are that the fuel energy goes into the engine and 1/3 is rejected to the coolant, 1/3 is spat out the exhaust leaving 1/3 to trundle you down the road. That’s where the calorific energy of your dinosaur juice goes.

There are places where this shifts around of course, a diesel rejects less to coolant which is why they take longer to warm up in the morning and makers of modern diesels have to fit Webasto heaters or electric elements in the defroster vents to get the windscreen cleared quickly enough.

But basically the rule is similar, if your engine makes 100bhp (or 75kw) then there’s another 75kw that the radiator has to get rid of.

For the motorbike engine it’s down to the water pump speed compared to a car, the flow rate of water will be much faster than a car engine so the radiator can be smaller. Think of it like any other heat exchanger, if you’re trying to keep your computer CPU cool it’s a lot easier when the airflow is faster. Without a fan and only using heat slowly falling into the still air the heat transfer is rubbish.

The other difference with a motorbike is they have to be kept light so the manufacturers spend a lot of money on the most efficient design of cooling fins and hang the expense. With a car or van it’s the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more pics of the radiator I have if it's any use to you, feel free to make me a derisory offer :)

Although I think it might be a big to small for you, that's it sitting in front of a doorway to give you an idea of size. A question for other shitters does anyone recognise what it's from as the part number on it doesn't seem to result in anything from googling it???

post-17353-0-39922700-1539607857_thumb.jpg

post-17353-0-75644400-1539607865_thumb.jpg

Actually on closer inspection it's for a 1100cc Saxo so I reckon you'd need about half a dozen of them to cool a dodge 50 being dragged up a hill with all bolloxs hardwood worktops, cast iron stove with stone hearth not to mention his massive collection of dream catchers and horseshoes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-SAXO-VTR-PEUGEOT-106-1-0-1-1-1-3-1-4-1-6-MANUAL-RADIATOR-1996-2004-NEW/132020531709?fits=Model%3ASaxo&hash=item1ebd0971fd:g:gJ8AAOSw0ThZpVE4:rk:1:pf:0

Ha! Yes I do have a lot of heavy Chakras and spirit animals and whatnot that I need to have with me at all times.

I've seen this one on the bay, its winking at me:

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40MM-ALUMINIUM-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-FOR-LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-1-8-2-5-2-0-TDI-00-06/351973212346

Chinese alu radiator for a Freelander Mk1. It looks just about the perfect size in terms of height and width but the core is about half the thickness of the existing Dodge rad. These Freelanders come in 118hp pez, 120hp TD and 170hp V6 pez and must get used for a bit of towing so hopefully this will be up to the job although I am mildly worried that it will halve the flow rate round the water jacket which isnt going to help the cooling performance. I think I am still gonna give it a try though.