Panda Alessi: The Pandarin

Aston Martin

7 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Seriously? A complete new 1242 engine for £240? That is phenomenal value. These 1.2 Pandas must be the cheapest modern you could possibly run and with so much character too. 

The RRP of £7500 seems plausible. Ebay Italy new they're about £2000. 

I don't actually need it, but I've had my eye on it for a while so for £240 I had to.

12 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Yes, It’s a 94 Fire Clx. I just love this little car. It makes me so happy when i’m behind the wheel. A 169 Panda needs to be my next purchase.

I had a 1995 Selecta, which had the best rust free chassis I'd ever seen and yet was the ropiest Panda I've ever had.

I only bought the Parade, because I couldn't afford a 169 at the time. I don't know why I love them, but I do.

1C623149-B17E-4DEA-B651-B64CFB1355B1.jpeg

Because the Panpan loves me, his handbrake doesn't work when I get to work. But it works when I get home.  Yeah, I have no idea either. I Put it down to being a Fiat.

Anyway. I of course remembered I left it in gear and didn't almost go through a fence... And this did not happen the day after either.

I rang about the engine as I was going to collect it tomorrow. But they aren't open weekends. It'll have to be in a fortnight when I'm off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 10/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, Aston Martin said:

Ugh fuck me, ugh, ugh, but why now??? 

Fuck.

The Tangerine Dream is fine, however........ Things just got interesting.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:56 PM, Aston Martin said:

I have been texting a thousand people all bastard day. Trying to figure out the logistics. 

I should find out tomorrow if all is well... If it's a no, then I'll tell you all everything.

If it's a yes, then you'll have to wait to have your mind blown. ?

Ugh... Here goes. The green Jersey Alessi was 'almost available'

The plan was to use my week off, fly to Jersey and drive it home.

The car then became "not for sale" which was fine and so took my last week off.

However....

Good News is you hadn’t bought the car off me and were driving it back to Hull!!
The Bad News is the back axle broke as I drove up our Driveway. My mechanic said it is not financially viable to repair.Surprised actually that it hadn’t been picked up as failing at its last service back in March, I think.

I would give you the car if you wanted it still but it can’t be towed . Would need craning onto a flat bed lorry but then what?You can’t even push it into your mates garage .

I think I will have to have it picked up in skip and taken to scrap yard.
If there were any bits like hub caps you wanted that came off easily you can have them for your mate to store.
I have had to get a new car so I can’t keep it on my drive for that long.

We do have a hero in the field in Jersey, who has been amazing.

But, I have no holidays left and no real pennies as it's tied up in the 4x4.

The rear axle is a couple of hours at most. But the car needs flatbedding to "our man in Jersey" a rear axle shipped there, along with shocks and springs and I think the dream is dead.

B0224603-4AAF-4E8C-B4CF-1E510D367CDD.jpeg

454BB381-E2B8-41C1-AE19-14A7105BA310.jpeg

1 hour ago, Aston Martin said:

Ugh... Here goes. The green Jersey Alessi was 'almost available'

The plan was to use my week off, fly to Jersey and drive it home.

The car then became "not for sale" which was fine and so took my last week off.

However....

We do have a hero in the field in Jersey, who has been amazing.

But, I have no holidays left and no real pennies as it's tied up in the 4x4.

The rear axle is a couple of hours at most. But the car needs flatbedding to "our man in Jersey" a rear axle shipped there, along with shocks and springs and I think the dream is dead.

B0224603-4AAF-4E8C-B4CF-1E510D367CDD.jpeg

454BB381-E2B8-41C1-AE19-14A7105BA310.jpeg

Can the "Hero" store the car? If he can and is willing to do so then the only problem is getting it to him, solve that and the rest can be done at leisure, the axles as you know are readily available and the next step would be getting one out there when you have the cash. Take your week off, fly out  and help the "hero" to change out the axle, you've done it before so relatively easy this time, then drive it back, pre booked MOT if required.

You have 3 problems but taken in isolation each can be solved given the time to do that, there might even be a suitable rear axle available on the island? It does look to be the end but I'm sure it is solvable with a bit of thought and goodwill, I do hope you can save it as they are pretty rare.

16 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

Stone me, I don't think I've never seen a green one before apart from press photos!

Any way I can help to make this happen?

Everybody is wanting this to happen and it's amazing.

Because I didn't get it a few weeks back, I started buying stuff for my 4x4. Which will finally be home next weekend.

This weekend I have to service and MOT the Cacti. On the 1st of December, I have the Alessi and the 4x4 to tax... and the insurance of about £700 all-in.

The timing of all this isn't the best. 

To bring this back to the Tangerine Dream, here's a motor show picture, featuring white door handles, white mirrors and possibly a white dash? 

P.s. It's also being straddled by some woman.

C9724666-5BBB-42D2-AAC7-601C6978A095.jpeg

4 minutes ago, doug said:

Could it not be welded just good enough to get it mobile so as to get it back to the mainland? Storage and fixing might be easier then. Hoping this gets saved somehow.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I doubt it, this is what happened to ForFiatsSakeses. Mine wasn't that bad, but getting there. The green one has fired it's spring out, so I'm guessing there's nothing left of the cup.

Our man in Jersey, is willing to attempt to lob a used axle onto it, but finding one? That's a bit tricky.

My main priority is getting it into storage. Which is possibly in the works.

FCA5CD41-A7E4-40FE-B1E1-3DF8CB5BA7A5.jpeg

Is it possible to jack up the rear and prop a piece of wood betwixt trailing arm and body to allow it to be pushed around/winched onto a trailer or has the subframe disintegrated totally? I am uncharacteristically excited about a vanishingly rare special edition of a smol italian shopping car.

15 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I doubt it, this is what happened to ForFiatsSakeses. Mine wasn't that bad, but getting there. The green one has fired it's spring out, so I'm guessing there's nothing left of the cup.

Our man in Jersey, is willing to attempt to lob a used axle onto it, but finding one? That's a bit tricky.

My main priority is getting it into storage. Which is possibly in the works.

FCA5CD41-A7E4-40FE-B1E1-3DF8CB5BA7A5.jpeg

What about this one?

https://www.imaxle.co.uk/new-fiat-panda-axle?fbclid=IwAR1Drf599M3_3ar3vg1WVhmAXUCwCLt0E6NxOL4j88EClvaPXTlfDWoDwEM

£125.00

9 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

Axles are readily available here, getting it to Jersey is the issue. I've looked at pallet shipping and it's about £180. 

I haven't asked but I thought with it being new they may ship it directly to Jersey, rather than you having to arrange delivery of something you bought here?

4 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

Thinking aloud here, guess its drive down to Poole then ferry to Jersey?

Originally it was a bus to the train station, plane to Jersey (£35!!!!!!!!) and a ferry back.

I can rent a car trailer for £126 a week, but i dont have access to a car with a towbar and the ferry trip with a trailer is £650. As a car one way it's about £130.