What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Some old chod in the prestigious* MG showroom in London's Piccadilly. Jubilee edition TF from the "heritage fleet".

post-5450-0-34095500-1489529744_thumb.jpg

They must have to sell about 10,000 MG3s just to pay the rent on this place. Out front is a tramp, and bin bags presumably full of bits of plastic trim they found on the showroom floor.

post-5450-0-42636200-1489529872_thumb.jpg

They must have to sell about 10,000 MG3s just to pay the rent on this place. Out front is a tramp, and bin bags presumably full of bits of plastic trim they found on the showroom floor.

£320k per annum rateable value

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/view-my-valuation/detail/2017/10733831000

My workshop is Rated at £26 per square metre, they pay £2500 per square metre

I was at my mums earlier going through some old photos of my dad to see which ones id like to keep, i found a couple of pictures of old motors he had there should be more somewhere but they will have to be found, one of which was my favourite cars he ever had his mk4 cortina just thought I'd share with everyone

His avenger

20170315_184013_zpssmeei0xc.jpg

His ambassador with him in it i remember helping him take the head off this when it had omg hgf, a bonus j plate iirc nova saloon in the neighbour's drive

20170315_184240_zpskccgrf2k.jpg

Last but not least his mk4 cortina started life as a 2.3 ghia, dont be fooled by its looks many people were, it had a tuned rebuilt 2.8 carb v6 under the bonnet with a 4 speed and he did something with the diff as well, he worked on the mechanicals making them perfect, the wheel condition may give a little inkling, the doors bonnet and boot were all rotten so suitable scrap yard replacements were put on all differing colours, the boot even had a 1.6 badge, and then there was the roof rack, this lulled people into a false sense of security, he loved racing people in this car and not even the police could catch it back in the day, from what i remember it went like absolute stink

20170315_184205_zpshiqzddml.jpg

There was many more cars that i can remember mostly fords, if i can find them ill share those as well

Managed to blag myself a Halfords trade card today, now browsing the website for toolboxes and the discounts look ace.

Be still my beating wallet.

you may need ger ger Granville to fer fer fetch a cloth if you're not careful

After watching a video of MTC's post-rebuild engine starting, YouTube tells me I should watch something about Banshee Moon.

I assume, since I've only ever heard of Banshee Moon from the reference in a particular thread, and have never felt the need to investigate any further, that Mr Google thinks these things are related in no small part due to AS..

I was at my mums earlier going through some old photos of my dad to see which ones id like to keep, i found a couple of pictures of old motors he had there should be more somewhere but they will have to be found, one of which was my favourite cars he ever had his mk4 cortina just thought I'd share with everyone

His avenger

20170315_184013_zpssmeei0xc.jpg

His ambassador with him in it i remember helping him take the head off this when it had omg hgf, a bonus j plate iirc nova saloon in the neighbour's drive

20170315_184240_zpskccgrf2k.jpg

Last but not least his mk4 cortina started life as a 2.3 ghia, dont be fooled by its looks many people were, it had a tuned rebuilt 2.8 carb v6 under the bonnet with a 4 speed and he did something with the diff as well, he worked on the mechanicals making them perfect, the wheel condition may give a little inkling, the doors bonnet and boot were all rotten so suitable scrap yard replacements were put on all differing colours, the boot even had a 1.6 badge, and then there was the roof rack, this lulled people into a false sense of security, he loved racing people in this car and not even the police could catch it back in the day, from what i remember it went like absolute stink

20170315_184205_zpshiqzddml.jpg

There was many more cars that i can remember mostly fords, if i can find them ill share those as well

"Oh God it's the Bucket woman"

My cousin (18 months younger than me, married with 3 kids and a mortgage) has just inherited a bit of money from his late grandfather (not the grandfather we shared), and has spent it on a slightly shonky 2-door Morris Minor.

Might have first dibs on a mates 320 E46 touring for £100. Runner with MoT

Going to have a look on Sunday, Bruvver thestag is in need of some wheels urgently so this may well be a loan in his direction

Sunday got blown out by the weather, going to fit a second hand starter on it today, pics to follow. Bruv Thestag is being awkward about it but Sis Thestag is mad fucking keen for the car. Trading up from an ancient Yaris 1.0 VVTi

Gorgeous day for my 30min commute, I drove 7 miles before I saw another car, I drove 10 miles before I came up behind another car and counted 24 cars in total, 13degrees already

Ryanair sorted out a balls-up entirely of my own making last night.  I checked in for my flight, but forgot to get the boarding pass up on my phone.  I thought I could do it when I got there using the airport wi-fi. Except the airport wi-fi wasn't letting me connect to anything.

I was running out of time so threw myself at the mercy of Ryanair who printed me a boarding card free of charge, bless 'em.

Also got fabulous views from plane as it was such a great day yesterday.

I dug the wee Panda 4x4 out of hibernation this afternoon. It took a bit of grinding on the starter to get her to run, I assume due to fuel running back from the filter to the tank, but once running it chugged away happily, warmed up till the fans kicked on etc.

I had a peek underneath and its nice to work on a relatively clean car for a change....

post-17837-0-94971000-1489682238_thumb.jpg

post-17837-0-84011500-1489682245_thumb.jpg

All seems well, apart from some rubber parts which have fallen to bits despite only having done a hundred miles or so in the last year since I bought them....see incoming whinge in the grump thread.

It still makes a harsh dry bearing noise from the engine but it isnt getting worse....maybe that just the way they are? It also still makes the rapid clunking in reverse which I really should look at, but not today....

Out on the roads its such a happy wee thing to drive. Light, easy to position, great visibility......I really should use it more.

Mike brought an antique home.

attachicon.gifIMAG1883.jpg

A noisome, annoying antique.

That takes me back! I bought a second-hand 1512 (not as swish as that one with its swanky colour screen!) when I went to Uni to study computer science back in the early 90s. Given how cheap hardware is these days it's hard to believe I paid £300 for it.

Everything ran from 2 x 5.25" floppy disks, which was less than great, so a 40Mb(!) hard disk expansion card went under that cover at the back. This set me back nearly as much as the computer itself had done! I also swapped one of the floppy drives for a 3.5" 720Kb drive, as all the computers at Uni were equipped with these. To put this in perspective, a then state-of-the-art 286 w/VGA graphics was selling for £1100-1200...

Great save!

• Like 2

Working on the front of a mates place today. He bought a brand new Evoque 3 years ago. Not my kinda thing but hayho. I found the seats are leather, nice, but a bit hard, not nice. 

Anyways. Nice block paving out front and when he went out in the voke I noticed a patch of oil on it. When he returned he noticed it as well and immediately blamed my old van for soiling his lurverly paving. 

Until I pointed out that I hadn't moved mine and it looked like it was from the back end of his vokey. Could tell coz he always parked front in, in the same spot. 

Had to laugh coz it was drippin from the rear diff. 3 years old and £40 odd thou new. 

Got me another little job pulling the oily ones up and replacing with new ones. Gonna charge him Evoque prices for that one.

Don't think JLR will pay for it.

Oil noo carz iz cee rap.

Working on the front of a mates place today. He bought a brand new Evoque 3 years ago. Not my kinda thing but hayho. I found the seats are leather, nice, but a bit hard, not nice. 

Anyways. Nice block paving out front and when he went out in the voke I noticed a patch of oil on it. When he returned he noticed it as well and immediately blamed my old van for soiling his lurverly paving. 

Until I pointed out that I hadn't moved mine and it looked like it was from the back end of his vokey. Could tell coz he always parked front in, in the same spot. 

Had to laugh coz it was drippin from the rear diff. 3 years old and £40 odd thou new. 

Got me another little job pulling the oily ones up and replacing with new ones. Gonna charge him Evoque prices for that one.

Don't think JLR will pay for it.

Oil noo carz iz cee rap.

post-190-0-50705600-1489700172_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-73664800-1489700329_thumb.jpg