Youtube moments

Volksy

23 hours ago, D.E said:

Chasing two robbers through Rotterdam, 1992. 

Highlights: early Hyundai Pony (0:35), Thunderbird (1:38), Visa GTI (1:47), early Ritmo (2:54), the -probably nicked- brand new Astra driven by the robbers (2:57), and the unmarked police Civics (3:05).

Leo often looks back at his programme.  It was one of the first I watched when I started living in NL, (along with Man Bijt Hond). I also liked the section where one police offer would explain more about certain regulations on the road. Never could understand why  Justitie told the police to stop cooperating. They too much wanted is control of what is being shown. They have that   in Wegmisbruikers, which is not very good. The commentor always berates drivers where as Leo has a far gentler  way of pointing out errors. I also liked the section where one police offer with Leo  would go into deeper explanation of  certain regulations which had been shown in the programme.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Leo often looks back at his programme.  It was one of the first I watched when I started living in NL, (along with Man Bijt Hond). I also liked the section where one police offer would explain more about certain regulations on the road. Never could understand why  Justitie told the police to stop cooperating. They too much wanted is control of what is being shown. They have that   in Wegmisbruikers, which is not very good. The commentor always berates drivers where as Leo has a far gentler  way of pointing out errors. I also liked the section where one police offer with Leo  would go into deeper explanation of  certain regulations which had been shown in the programme.

Blik op de Weg was an honest program, I think that is what made people appreciate the show for well over two decades. It would show nuances, it would show the police officers as human beings who sometimes make mistakes as well, it allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. Justitie ordering the police to stop cooperating was something belonger to a broader change of direction in which Justitie demanded more control over how the police was portraited on tv. If, for example, a corrupt officer was shown in a detective tv series, they would refuse the use of police cars and uniforms. As one would expect, this didn't work as intended (Blik op de Weg is now a succesful channel on Youtube and Wegmisbruikers no longer exists) and I believe Justitie has relaxed this policy somewhat.

Oh, and I would not advice newcomers to start with watching Man Bijt Hond because it may give the impression that we're a bunch of weirdos😄 The spiritual predecessor of Man Bijt Hond was Showroom in the 1980s, which showed eccentrics such as a man refusing to believe mankind went to the moon, an elderly woman living in a house without running water or electricity, and this man loving Bugattis so much that they made him quite emotional:

15 hours ago, D.E said:

Blik op de Weg was an honest program, I think that is what made people appreciate the show for well over two decades. It would show nuances, it would show the police officers as human beings who sometimes make mistakes as well, it allowed the viewer to form their own opinions. Justitie ordering the police to stop cooperating was something belonger to a broader change of direction in which Justitie demanded more control over how the police was portraited on tv. If, for example, a corrupt officer was shown in a detective tv series, they would refuse the use of police cars and uniforms. As one would expect, this didn't work as intended (Blik op de Weg is now a succesful channel on Youtube and Wegmisbruikers no longer exists) and I believe Justitie has relaxed this policy somewhat.

Oh, and I would not advice newcomers to start with watching Man Bijt Hond because it may give the impression that we're a bunch of weirdos😄 The spiritual predecessor of Man Bijt Hond was Showroom in the 1980s, which showed eccentrics such as a man refusing to believe mankind went to the moon, an elderly woman living in a house without running water or electricity, and this man loving Bugattis so much that they made him quite emotional:

For me Man Bijt Hond is what the Dutch society was about. The acceptance of those who may not fit in normal life. I do not know anywhere else where a TV programme would be able to knock at someone front door and then invited in  to come in and talk about what that person did during the day, or their hobbies.

There is a lot of  non-conformity around just that in some societies that is hidden a bit better.

These are from the BBC TV programme Nationwide. Mostly news with some report on the odd things of life. But no knocking on front doors.