The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Haldex module for the XC70 all boxed up and on its way to Romford to be fixed. 

Exhaust blow sorted and cambelt/aux belt changed today, as well. 

This time next week, fingers crossed, I might have a fully working Volvo that's ready for the MOT...

IMG20240628180717.jpg

• Like 1

2cv lost dash electrics on the way home ( indicating, fuel gauge wipers, horn etc plus the radio feed which is on with the ignition and not on the same fuse). It corrected itself and everything was working by the time I got home so hard to check, but wiring for the ignition switch is the first area I think.

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Looks nice! Same colour as mine I imagine!

M47 or M57?

Looks well on the E92 wheels, just watch out for cracks as they’re very prone!

M47 chaps.

yeah I’m dead slow over any speed bumps.   Really lots of car for not much money 

13 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said:

M47 chaps.

yeah I’m dead slow over any speed bumps.   Really lots of car for it much money 

Very robust engine, I’m sure it’ll do you well! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I just got a surprise phone call.  One of the other candidates turned down the offer of the position so they offered it to me!  I got the job :D

Default! Default! Default!

Congratulations!

• Like 2

Image#

This drop link was fine, but the threads were so thoroughly fucked I couldn't get it out of the car to change the strut without destroying it, which ended up taking me nearly two hours. At least it was nylon so I could shatter it with a hammer.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2024 at 22:32, wuvvum said:

I discovered today that the Merc is supposed to have different sized tyres front to rear - 225/45 17 on the front and 245/40 on the rear.  Which seems a bit over the top for a 19-year-old diesel estate, but hey ho.  The car is currently on 225/45s all round, which might explain why the traction control kicked in when I booted it out of a junction (although that might also have been due to the rear tyres being Wanlis).  It also explains why the sidewalls look a bit odd on a couple of the tyres - the rims are different widths too.

This is bad news as 245/40s are significantly more expensive than 225/45s, and there's less choice too.  So I have a choice between trying to find a decent pair of part worns or going the budget route - there's no way I'm paying over 200 quid for a pair of tyres for a car of that age and (lack of) value.

Think they are quite a few different options, mines or same size 16's all round. (But mine is only the 220cdi)

3 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Think they are quite a few different options, mines or same size 16's all round. (But mine is only the 220cdi)

Mine has 14" discs on the front so 16s might be a bit tight for clearing the calipers.

• Like 1

Went too look at a ford fusion 1.4 and oil reeks of petrol and found this last mot failed on emissions.. 

Only done 80k 

Worried it's washed the rings

2005 selle want 800 notes 

Screenshot_20240629_211408_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, stuboy said:

Mot on future siL car... I've said it'll fail  with tyres like this, and 1 brake light and high level brake light not working, alledge missfire,  told her 

20240627_151749.jpg

20240627_151814.jpg

20240627_151830.jpg

20240627_151837.jpg

As crazy as it sounds, all 3 of those should still be passable, unless any cords are exposed on 1&2 or the cracks on the 3rd one clearly reach cords. 

Not saying I agree with it, but that's how fucked up the MOT criteria is. If it was my car I'd be changing them all without delay 

Got the rear brake discs fitted to the Merc today.  Not too bad of a job other than the old discs took quite a lot of belting with a hammer to persuade them to come off - and then on the nearside the inside of the disc got caught on the handbrake shoes and I had to force it off which has mangled the shoe retaining springs, so I've removed the shoes on that side temporarily - it's an auto so I'll never use the parking brake anyway.  Hub faces weren't too bad but I gave them a rub down with sandpaper anyway before putting the new discs on.  Didn't need to wind the pistons back in which was a bonus.

Annoyingly it hasn't cured the judder, so maybe it's the front discs after all.  Which is annoying as they're not cheap - they're 330mm vented and drilled discs which seems rather over the top for an old diesel estate, but then what do I know.  Cheapest I can find a pair for is 80 quid - although someone is selling an opened-but-unused single Mintex disc for 30 quid delivered, so I might buy that and just try it on one side at a time until the juddering disappears.  Although I'm sure that replacing just one disc will result in the deaths of many, many nuns and kittens.

I've got the radio working though, sort of.  It wasn't plugged in which obviously won't have been helping, but when I did plug it in it just showed the Mercedes-Benz start up screen then went blank.  I buggered about with it for a while and it suddenly came to life and started making noise - and once I'd worked out which aerial socket was which (there's four of them), the radio started playing.  The CD changer in the glovebox seems to be broken, but the single CD slot in the unit itself works fine.  The unit seems to be a bit temperamental but so far it's always fired up after a few on-off cycles, so I'm going to call it fixed - which has saved me forking out for an Android unit as I'd been planning to do.

• Like 4

Sorted both trailers I have ‘in stock’ ready to sell.

Little Erde needed a new plug and new lenses, easy and quick. Sorted and ready to go for less than a tenner.

Box trailer I replaced the plug which has now meant it’s all wired correctly and the LED light units all function correctly. It’s not a pretty trailer and ideally needs quite a bit of TLC but I stuck it up today and have 3 people asking to collect it tomorrow for the asking price which is double what I paid. So for a £2.99 plug and £3 at the jet wash to clean it, I’ll take it.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Got the rear brake discs fitted to the Merc today.  Not too bad of a job other than the old discs took quite a lot of belting with a hammer to persuade them to come off - and then on the nearside the inside of the disc got caught on the handbrake shoes and I had to force it off which has mangled the shoe retaining springs, so I've removed the shoes on that side temporarily - it's an auto so I'll never use the parking brake anyway.  Hub faces weren't too bad but I gave them a rub down with sandpaper anyway before putting the new discs on.  Didn't need to wind the pistons back in which was a bonus.

Annoyingly it hasn't cured the judder, so maybe it's the front discs after all.  Which is annoying as they're not cheap - they're 330mm vented and drilled discs which seems rather over the top for an old diesel estate, but then what do I know.  Cheapest I can find a pair for is 80 quid - although someone is selling an opened-but-unused single Mintex disc for 30 quid delivered, so I might buy that and just try it on one side at a time until the juddering disappears.  Although I'm sure that replacing just one disc will result in the deaths of many, many nuns and kittens.

I've got the radio working though, sort of.  It wasn't plugged in which obviously won't have been helping, but when I did plug it in it just showed the Mercedes-Benz start up screen then went blank.  I buggered about with it for a while and it suddenly came to life and started making noise - and once I'd worked out which aerial socket was which (there's four of them), the radio started playing.  The CD changer in the glovebox seems to be broken, but the single CD slot in the unit itself works fine.  The unit seems to be a bit temperamental but so far it's always fired up after a few on-off cycles, so I'm going to call it fixed - which has saved me forking out for an Android unit as I'd been planning to do.

A DTI guage would be a better way of investing £30 into diagnosing the issue, that way you'll have it available for future brake judder concerns, rather than a useless single brake disc :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/indicator-gauge-magnetic-stand-TE107TE108/dp/B01HR4E1A6/ref=asc_df_B01HR4E1A6/

• Like 2

I somehow managed to strip the Allen head in my new drop link. I have no idea how, I used the right sized key and didn't cross thread it, but apparently this drop link is made of cheese. At least it was easy to cut off. I have never known drop links to cause me this much hardship.20240629_212718.jpg.aa843c595bb75ec0000d8f9ce342ad98.jpg

I think getting past the nylon insert was too much for the head.

Took the fuel tank out the 190 on Friday evening to replace it with a bigger one.

This is what the in tank filter looked like when I removed it from my existing tank

4E97FE0A-D230-4ACD-BFE2-79E5C06E8EEF.jpeg.4c0eea1e231f824850cb28aff2f66b42.jpeg

And after a couple of minutes with petrol, a toothbrush and an airline, it was good to be installed in the new bigger tank for the next 30 years:

A9CE651E-2A70-4D52-BB07-C8B9D4D1EDFB.jpeg.40e652dd7dc8f9fd141b2bd8f460cd30.jpeg

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Sorted both trailers I have ‘in stock’ ready to sell.

Little Erde needed a new plug and new lenses, easy and quick. Sorted and ready to go for less than a tenner.

Box trailer I replaced the plug which has now meant it’s all wired correctly and the LED light units all function correctly. It’s not a pretty trailer and ideally needs quite a bit of TLC but I stuck it up today and have 3 people asking to collect it tomorrow for the asking price which is double what I paid. So for a £2.99 plug and £3 at the jet wash to clean it, I’ll take it.

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5155.jpeg

IMG_5153.jpeg

IMG_5173.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

Force hail or rent? Got a room to rent cheep? 🤣

On 28/06/2024 at 16:16, Pat Earrings said:

So after selling the Qashqai to a lovely couple who even bought the Apple car play unit I jumped on a train to go pick up my next venture.

high mileage hero. 194k miles, with stacks and stacks of history. Stamps/invoices. Engine really does start on the button, and everything feels tight as. Possibly paid a bit as it was a very light Cat N from the rear but the chap loved it and had it fixed properly. Only rear bumper damage tbh and I saw the pictures. Scrubs up really well. A few chips and minor scrapes at the front and the rear sensors are inoperative, so need to figure out which ones a dud. Aside from that, interior is nigh on perfect and apart from the steering wheel wear it just doesn’t look like a car that’s done the mileage.

Pre LCi means no DPF which is superb. It’s had a clutch/flywheel around 4 years ago too. Everything else works. The 19” alloys all have new tyres. Lovely place to be

ill be doing a swirl flap delete myself and possibly EGR delete too. Yes I know people will say im an awful person for the egr delete but its not an issue for me personally.

already ordered up the service bits and some bonnet struts as these ones are a bit weak

forgot to tag @JJ0063 for approval to join high mileage BMW club 😂oh and @horriblemercedes

IMG_0961.jpeg

Looks great! 

I hope you get a good run with it. 

Mine is just about to hit 270k and passed MOT last week. They're really tough cars. That M47 engine will pretty much run forever if you change oil and filter when it's due. Mine asks for it every 20k or so, and I just do it when it asks. The engine really runs like new. 

I believe my clutch and flywheel are original too, but they're the most likely things to go at the moment. Sounds like you don't have to worry about that on yours! 

Hopefully you've got a good car there 

• Like 2

Took the 106 out for a belt after some much needed suspension work!

IMG_9721.jpeg.80ded2ea8e0476bbece1f9564d4d84bc.jpeg

Lower arms and anti roll bar bushes have been replaced - and not a moment too soon, the rubber bushes all looked to be original and in a terrible state. Providing no shortage of clonks and creaks

IMG_9674.jpeg.6b9251a37a0d421da91571d2dc8f3dac.jpeg
(Not as bad as this on the car, but they just crumbled removing them)

IMG_9727.jpeg.b4418b6d789fdfecd8e5752e42a27f10.jpeg

Happy to say that she’s driving like a 90s Pug should, and the front suspension is absolutely silent! I’m calling that a win.

whilst at a retro car show i thought id go for a retro advert 

awaiting the photo to ring off the hook 😂

put the ad in the passenger side so all the people looking at the fabulous shark nose M5 may* see it

20240630_091126(0).jpg

20240630_091303.jpg

• Like 4

From an article in the FT about Iran...

Iran’s cheapest domestic car model, the Pride, has long been criticised for its poor quality and safety defects — Iranians refer to it as a “coffin on the go”. Yet the vehicle’s position within the country’s economy has become an indicator of the financial pain facing Iranians, and the challenges for their leaders, as they vote in a June 28 emergency election after President Ebrahim Raisi was killed in a helicopter crash. Iranians often compare the price of the Pride, a budget vehicle that carmaker Saipa began making in 1993, with the minimum wage to highlight their worsening finances. Production of what was once Iran’s most popular car ceased in 2020, but stocks remain on sale. A decade ago a minimum-wage worker with a family of four — the minimum varies by family size — needed 1.6 times their annual income to buy a Pride; now they would need three times what they earn in a year.

• Like 1