Phil's Automotive Activities

phil_lihp

That's pretty bad luck, to go all OMGHFG on several Rovers, including a non-K. You have my sympathies. I shall hurl them out of the window as I drive past Barnstaple in a few hours.

If you're looking at CRVs, don't rule out an S-MX. I appear to have really loved mine, and they're broadly similar under the skin. Bar rear suspension. 

If you were really sympathetic, you'd leave that Lexus here for a bit, I promise* I'll bring it back.

S-MX is an interesting idea, hadn't really ever considered it but the flexible interior aspect appeals.  Weirdly, someone at work actually has one, although hers is a grubby flat white version which does rather stick out in the midst of A3s, Minis and Golfs.  Japanese reliability certainly appeals.

If you were really sympathetic, you'd leave that Lexus here for a bit, I promise* I'll bring it back.

Nice try, but sympathy has limits. ;-)

S-MX is an interesting idea, hadn't really ever considered it but the flexible interior aspect appeals.  Weirdly, someone at work actually has one, although hers is a grubby flat white version which does rather stick out in the midst of A3s, Minis and Golfs.  Japanese reliability certainly appeals.

For turn-key reliability, mine has been spot on. Gearboxes pretty much the only weak point (bar the usual Honda rear arch rot), but mine has responded pretty well to a couple of fluid changes (last one was a complete blow out of the cooler lines and solenoid filters). 

How about going for another 400 but without the added roverness.

Here’s a nice little low mileage auto civic for £400

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182882449182post-9282-0-26342500-1511091371_thumb.png

Sounds a very genuine car from the description plus if you want to glam it up a bit you have the parts and a decent set of boots for it if you need them plus it’s vtec yo.

Plus it’s in Sussex so you could have an epic road trip with Mr DW.

Sorry to hear of your woes Phil. No more Rovers is probably a wise move...

How about a Mk3 Cavalier? Good ones are still relatively cheap, parts are peanuts, and OK not the most thrilling of drives but they are fairly easy to live with. Maybe I've been lucky but mine doesn't need constant fettling. If it did I'd have got rid long ago!

Cheers Rob, nice idea but to be honest they don't do enough for me as a daily driver, I've fond memories of one my Dad had new, mind, 1.7TD Envoy spec!  Same colour as yours, too.  No, I'm putting whimsical motoring to one side and buying with my head this time, I would like to try and keep the next one for a while so I can focus on other things for a while.

Negotiations are underway in that respect, further details to be released in good time but I don't want to jinx it.  Suffice to say it's something a bit different to what I've had before but ticks a lot of boxes off my requirements list.

The Rover's been launched onto Facebook tonight in the hope of getting it a reprieve.  It has 4 nearly new tyres and good alloys off a 45 so it would be nice to think it would at least donate those plus its blue leather interior to something else, it could be fixed but there's too many other jobs on it which prevent it being worthwhile in my opinion.  A massive shame, a relatively rare car but ye cannae save them all.  It's been neglected in the past and I think it's just reached that stage where it's all caught up with it. 

With that said, it does still drive very nicely and has MOT until June next year so if an enterprising shiter wants to step in, please PM me!  You never know, chuck a bottle of something in the header tank and cross your fingers, it might make it out of the county.  

Meanwhile, the HiAce continues to be Ace.  I have some more work to do to the interior but need a clear weekend with decent weather so that's going to have to wait for a little bit yet.

Gone!  The bloke who turned up seems to be a local trader, he had a quick walk around it, started it up, handed me the cash and filled in the V5, shook my hand and drove away.  If only it was always that simple!

I don't know if it'll live again or go for spares but either way, not my problem any more.  Quite sad but also a relief, one less thing to think about.

VTEC YO.

A good shout actually, not a bad old thing really, that.  Should shift well with a 2.3, I'd be a bit concerned about the auto in that as they are pretty fragile, I guess it'll be the same as in my old Prelude which was quite unwell on a bit more than half the mileage when I sold it (but I believe still survives with JohnDeere on here).  I do particularly like the "DO NOT USE" note stuck over the window switches.  Does look like it'll go cheap.

I have mostly committed to something much, much further away and also more expensive, pending logistics of getting a car from Yorkshire to Devon while the seller isn't available at the weekend and I can't do weekdays.  Still working that one out!

I was just going out the door when I posted that last comment so didn't see the auction finish, £200 seems like a bargain for that Honda and in hindsight probably would have been pretty ideal.  I have now sadly declined the immaculate Saab 9-5 I was in discussion to obtain as it's a billion miles from me and the logistics and timeframes just don't work at the moment.  Sad but true.  So I am still on the lookout, everything local at the moment seems overpriced and/or deeply unappealing but I'm sure something will turn up.  I have just scoured the local Facebook pages, great for selling but the majority of listings on there are a grim read, it's a sea of battered Clios and barried Focuses.

Yorkshire - a 750 mile round trip with a £200 train ticket!  Hence it's not just the distance, it's the travel costs and also timing as I can't get any time off work and the seller can't do weekends.  I can't stand messing people about, he's been very helpful but I can't make it work at the moment and I could do with a car pretty soon so have had to decline.  It's a shame but you can't win them all.

Good shout Mr B, can't hurt to ask!