Jump to content
Cavcraft

Shite in your town, in ye olden times.

Recommended Posts

Some more off my local bookface page

1963/1964 weird seeing my street as a  field (was built 1974)

149z3b7.png

 

1970s

o76edy.png

 

118owhw.png

 

14doyvs.png

 

2pqtc2a.jpg

 

This isn't local but thought someone might like it

dr9yx4.png

 

That pic with the XR2 in is Corporation Street in St.Helens I think...

post-26873-0-22582500-1556183810_thumb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That pic with the XR2 in is Corporation Street in St.Helens I think...

It could be, i don't recognise it and a few people commented on the bookface post asking where it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't remember the last time I had an attendant fill my car. Much more common in rural Spain though.

 

There's one in Dorset I know of, at least there was last autumn. Has the cable you drive over that operates a bell in the shed that the attendant sits in too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

57908895_437043893507793_629402475122026

 

Probably taken from (by) the Eastgate clock on the city walls, thought to be circa early 1960s. The view now won't be much different, except it's one way now heading away from the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Circa 1940, the old market entrance (to left of town hall, where the cars are parked) has long since gone. Whichever planner/s had it removed and replaced by the bloody horrible thing there now deserve to have a fe sleepless nights.

 

 58379533_2234747429937432_89085329166701

 

 

Further to the left in this picture (not visible in it) was the first Halfords in town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few beauties from my home town of Gravesend. I think @GrumpiusMaximus will recognise a few places. Most of what I could find from shameless internet stealz includes a bus.

60917714_10214192792829927_5254465880439390208_n.thumb.jpg.ed3ce39f3fc2877045755ea7a64a163d.jpg

West street petrol station, 1950s

63929246_10214313301642572_7861980902828539904_n.jpg.801cdb55cdbd73493df481ec9bd26d88.jpg

Bat & Ball cricket ground. Judging by the size of the crowd possible a county match.

58377949_10216939439211520_8152719836233859072_n.jpg.a592319b6fb6d9665c10b98b9cc40ca7.jpg

Milton Rd, late 60's I am led to believe. Maidstone & District Atlantean PDR1. Nice FB victor, can't work out what's going past the bus though.

59617879_10214099262731733_9203624417177894912_n.jpg.14561c5ed5285dfad2e3e10776c5109e.jpg

The other end of Milton Rd. RML 2323 now in London Country livery. 1974

58384600_10216896030886339_196456060431630336_n.jpg.d14198d98914078ad85f9539a03aa24f.jpg

London Country rebranded Kentish Bus in 1986. This dates 1989/90. Extreme close-up of the Mk2 Granada which looks like low or mingebag spec judging by the wheels. Good cars, but sadly normally driven by the rough families in Gravesend in the 80s and 90s.

I'm saving the best til last though

38581597861_e52403de35.jpg.54faaca2d4b2a0431f1e3b2009e52af5.jpg

WE HAD TALBOT BUSES IN THE 90s!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Extreme close-up of the Mk2 Granada which looks like low or mingebag spec judging by the wheels. 

Yeah, bottom of the range Granada L with those wheels. 

Ford Cars Mar-Apr 84 104-105 Granada L

EDIT: I just noticed that there is a taxi sign on the roof, so it's probably the taxi spec Granada with diesel engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

A few beauties from my home town of Gravesend. I think @GrumpiusMaximus will recognise a few places. Most of what I could find from shameless internet stealz includes a bus.

60917714_10214192792829927_5254465880439390208_n.thumb.jpg.ed3ce39f3fc2877045755ea7a64a163d.jpg

West street petrol station, 1950s

63929246_10214313301642572_7861980902828539904_n.jpg.801cdb55cdbd73493df481ec9bd26d88.jpg

Bat & Ball cricket ground. Judging by the size of the crowd possible a county match.

58377949_10216939439211520_8152719836233859072_n.jpg.a592319b6fb6d9665c10b98b9cc40ca7.jpg

Milton Rd, late 60's I am led to believe. Maidstone & District Atlantean PDR1. Nice FB victor, can't work out what's going past the bus though.

59617879_10214099262731733_9203624417177894912_n.jpg.14561c5ed5285dfad2e3e10776c5109e.jpg

The other end of Milton Rd. RML 2323 now in London Country livery. 1974

58384600_10216896030886339_196456060431630336_n.jpg.d14198d98914078ad85f9539a03aa24f.jpg

London Country rebranded Kentish Bus in 1986. This dates 1989/90. Extreme close-up of the Mk2 Granada which looks like low or mingebag spec judging by the wheels. Good cars, but sadly normally driven by the rough families in Gravesend in the 80s and 90s.

I'm saving the best til last though

38581597861_e52403de35.jpg.54faaca2d4b2a0431f1e3b2009e52af5.jpg

WE HAD TALBOT BUSES IN THE 90s!

 

Kentish Hopper.  I remember those - they were phased out when I was about 10 I think.  I remember talking to a teacher at my Primary School about them and wondering why they were called that (I was about 6).

I've always known the high street (which I know isn't the high street...) to be pedestrianised so it's really odd to see it jam packed with cars like that!  Lovely stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

"WE HAD TALBOT BUSES IN THE 90s!"

Bet the drivers and fitters weren't that happy !

 

When bus dereg happened in the late 80s, a company in Inverness, Inverness Traction ran Sherpa and Talbot buses.

The rear suspension on the Talbots were always causing problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, hennabm said:

When bus dereg happened in the late 80s, a company in Inverness, Inverness Traction ran Sherpa and Talbot buses.

The rear suspension on the Talbots were always causing problems.

I remember the deregulation period. These glorious steeds bought off LT made their way at a local independent.

65015995_415234599075927_8677135660903038976_n.thumb.jpg.b460f115599dd1b67e1a32e52d8db0c1.jpg

Meanwhile, more of Gravesend & Northfleet

59357203_391451288120925_1212533318508085248_n.thumb.jpg.b6ca3ee1f5de14367712e6de056055c1.jpg

1979/80, top of New Road junction of Darnley Rd & Bath Street.

60358792_10157294214459189_5388752967866253312_n.thumb.jpg.67dfe113667f6f37a9aff3469d7e69bd.jpg

Plenty of rammel in the background. Northfleet Hill. Late 1970s I would guess as there's a Mk2 Granada in the background. I'm not entirely sure when the AEC Swift was last used by London Country.

EDIT - it might be a Mk 5 Cortina.

ANOTHER EDIT - doing some generic search engineering, the bus is an AEC Merlin with Met-Cam bodywork and withdrawn in 1979; it's quite possible this was one of its last journeys and the reason it hadn't had it's dents knocked back. This bus was scrapped in 1982.

60548904_10214185875777005_73005974356492288_n.jpg.51cd0ee4d014c3abfa8cff7f31a2c9eb.jpg

What's in front of the Farina? Led to believe Mid 1960s, King Street

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of Gravesend from the 70s and 80s

IMG_7475.jpg.3fd73debe277ba7a28aaa72f2ac78074.jpg 

1970, crossroads of Milton Rd, Parrock St, King st & Queen Street. Gotta love an HA van, plus what looks like a MkIV Zodiac in the background.

IMG_7473.thumb.jpg.4e1494edcfd6ca48277f8975b24524e3.jpg

Early Mk2 Grandad in New Rd. Is that a Mk2 capri in front? Also can't work out the roofline of the red car partially obscuring the Mk3 Shitscort van. Mk2 Shitscort?

IMG_7474.jpg.a6a978b7bb259bbbd9892f0c9a03a8d4.jpg

800 Rover but coming out of Stone Street is that a Mitsubishi Spacewagon, Nissan Prairie or a Toyota Tercel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st photo looks like a scene from The Beiderbecke Affair.

2nd one, I reckon that's a Datsun 100A with a viny roof. That gold colour did seem to be popular on Mk2 Granadas, I remember our neighbour having one in the very early '90s when they were everywhere as a cheap, tatty big car.

3rd photo, Honda Civic Shuttle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, dozeydustman said:

 

60358792_10157294214459189_5388752967866253312_n.thumb.jpg.67dfe113667f6f37a9aff3469d7e69bd.jpg

ANOTHER EDIT - doing some generic search engineering, the bus is an AEC Merlin with Met-Cam bodywork and withdrawn in 1979; it's quite possible this was one of its last journeys and the reason it hadn't had it's dents knocked back. This bus was scrapped in 1982.

Technically it was bodied by  Metropolitan Cammell Carriage and Wagon Company ( MCCW). It certainly had the dents knocked out as it was one of a number bought by Belfast Citybus in 1979 to replace vehicles destroyed in the troubles. Scrapped in 1982 across there.

As for Swift v Merlin, an argument that went on for years in those days. London's were Merlin's because they had the 691 engines rather than the 505 the rest of the UK operators bought. Well, apart from Sheffield that is who called them Swifts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...