Cars that are £20/£30 a year to tax. Whats out there?

sutty2006

The more miserable the better?

Ive just logged on to tax the Cavalier as its the start of the month.... £257 a year!! From £230ish thats a massive hike and quite frankly a piss take. I could go on and on about how we are being ripped off but whats the point?

So Im going to look out for something thats cheap to tax to use for the comute to work. Been looking at Fiesta and fusion 1.4/1.6 TDCi which are £30 a year to tax (probably gone up) but what else is available? Must be something affordable on a Shitters budget, and nothing electric/brand new...

Answers on a postcard!

In the shitters realm...your looking at what you've just mentioned plus the cars that feature the same engine, namely the 1.4 hdi Pugs and Citroëns so 307s Xsaras C2s and 3s 4s. Suzuki Altos Daihatsu Charades and obviously early C1s 107s and Aygos if a buzzbox is your thing.

The other thing is people get sucked into buying newer/more expensive cars because they're £30 a year to tax. If you spent the £800+ it'd probably take to buy anything even half decent that's £30 per year tax, then it's an awful long time to get your money back. There's also the fact your Cavalier will probably be a lot cheaper to maintain and probably more reliable.

*Just in case anyone 'starts' that's not a slur on modern cars and I do like them.

In the shitters realm...your looking at what you've just mentioned plus the cars that feature the same engine, namely the 1.4 hdi Pugs and Citroëns so 307s Xsaras C2s and 3s 4s. Suzuki Altos Daihatsu Charades and obviously early C1s 107s and Aygos if a buzzbox is your thing.

wow that is a list of washing machines isnt it? LMAO :mrgreen:

Cant understand swapping a car so it's £30 a year to tax. If it's such a problem get the bus.

When you're an enthusiast like me, and you have a fleet of old cars....taking the bus is not an option, nor is it practial. Tip runs, work commute and other daily dutys are not a bus friendly. Fact.

I have considered the cav may be more reliable but there will be a time when cheep tax cars are worth a damn sight more than they should be because everyone will want cheep tax. I had hoped to tax 5 cars this month, 1 at £300+ and 4 at £250+. You do the math...... Not to mention a letter dropped through today price increase on line rental.

Cant understand swapping a car so it's £30 a year to tax. If it's such a problem get the bus.

A former colleague is in the process of looking for something "cheap to run" to replace her petrol XC90. She only does a couple of thousand miles a year and just over a year ago had a new autobox fitted costing her about £4k; she's just sold the Volvo for £1k. Admittedly it did look like it had been through several hedges (it had) but I can't see that there will be much saving for a few years, I think on pure cost she would be better off using taxis.

I had a Kia Venga 1.4crdi for a year. £30 a year tax. It was ok-ish, nothing to write home about and now I've got a '98 Synergie 1.9 xud. This is fairly economic and a lot quieter and less hassle.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I know what you mean, I've just paid £12 to park in Sheffield for several hours. I could have got a taxi in for that...

I pay £12.50 a week and that gets me to work. Then I use the car for knocking about, taking kids out, shopping etc. Fuel economy becomes much less of an issue then.

Aren't all these low tax motors dizzlers?

If you aren't thrashing the shit out of them, they clog up spectacularly, thus invalidating all the tax savings you made in the first place, so if all you do is commute and potter, avoid like the plague!

Stick to petrol IMHO :-D

Reminds me of the conversation I had with the office manager at my old work.

He'd just spunked £40k on some sort of Lexus hybrid jobbie.

I rolled up to work in my newly purchased Shaguar XJ8 and he started saying the usual 'not going to get great MPG out of that' and 'my lexus gets at least 70mpg' before I stopped him and pointed out that my car was about £39,500 cheaper than his and as such was actually much much cheaper to run unless I did about 100k miles a year. He stood there for a second and simply said 'good point'.

Obviously, if you are buying a car for £500 with £30 tax, you will make up the difference in no time but I do dispair at people paying thousands of pounds on a new car as their old one needs a £300 repair, to avoid having to take it for an MOT or to get cheaper tax.

My understanding is the £30 tax cars are meant to sway you when buying new... Try the get people out of the larger engined ones into a smaller engined car that costs about the same but over 6 years or so will save a fair bit on tax.

Once you're talking £500 snotters, it's all about buying the best example you can get. One rusty sill will wipe out the tax saving.

Aren't all these low tax motors dizzlers?

If you aren't thrashing the shit out of them, they clog up spectacularly, thus invalidating all the tax savings you made in the first place, so if all you do is commute and potter, avoid like the plague!

Stick to petrol IMHO :-D

My wife's fiat is £30 a year and is petrol, but big motors tend to be oil smokers to be in that bracket.