Truck Shite

quicksilver

Been having flashbacks to seeing these DAF 3300s in Holland in the 80s. Designed to get the maximum load length from a draw-bar combination, it was really pushing the regulations to the limit.

They hacked the back off the the standard day cab and attached the rear wall to the B-pillars. To fit the engine under the shortened cab, the front axle was shifted back beneath the load bed so that the radiator could be mounted sideways behind the steps. As you can see, in order to regain a decent sleeping area the top-sleeper overhangs at the front, although no further than the front bumper.

daf3300topsleeper1.jpg

daf3300topsleeper2.jpg

Hi there - just got an email from Jim at the Bus Museum - apparently the Pegaso Troner is no longer in the yard. Anyone with any ideas as to where it might have gone please let me know. I don't know if he means not in their yard, or not anywhere on the Lathalmond estate, in which case it's been taken elsewhere (and maybe scrapped?!). I'd really like to find out!

Many thanks!

I knew I wasn't imagining things!

Any joy on the bin truck up a pole boys? I'm thinking Yorkshire. On a main road.

Not quite Yorkshire, Warren :wink: It is on an industrial estate in Aldridge, just to the North of Walsall and is in front of the former Jack Allen dustcart factory, now owned by Volant Passenger Vehicle Solutions, who refurbish buses on the site and are planning to start manufacturing buses shortly. You are right in one thing though; it is next to an office furniture warehouse :D

I was there today as part of the site is used for storing some of the vehicles from the former Aston Manor Road Transport Museum, which had to close when Birmingham Council removed its subsidy. There is some weapons-grade bus-shite there including a Metrorider which is undergoing a major rebuild, but the museum is still some way from re-opening.

An abandoned Daf 65, languishing in one of the back yards, at my current gig...

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0687.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

Funny thing is, I've been working up there on and off for near enough 7 years now, and I don't recall this being on the fleet in the past. I didn't even find it for the first couple of weeks I was working there! It's hidden between the cherry tank, and the pallet stack. It's a P-plate, and not much worse than the shite they've got on the road.

I have a soft spot for these, 'cos I learnt to drive in a similar one.

OK - it's official I'm afraid. Spoke to David who now runs the yard where the Pegaso was stored and he says it 'went away' at least a year ago, when the yard was taken over. So it's either been cut up or is sitting rotting in one of the scrappers around Fife or wherever........... Big shame, if anyone finds any more info on its whereabouts or demise, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks for all your help and interest!

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about the Pegaso, the only one I've ever seen was the black Dutch one earlier in this thread.

The American circus are back and have brought a few more of their US rigs. One odd motor spotted amongst them was a Bulgarian-registered RHD Vauxhall Vectra which I guess belongs to a Bulgarian artiste who bought it over here and drove it home.

6785627726_ac51b7d403_z.jpg

Big Chief Pete by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6931743443_bafc370909_z.jpg

This Ken be Worth seeing by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6785626256_317565726b_z.jpg

Bilt to last by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6931741989_74b5a476ac_z.jpg

Great Freightliner by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

This one is apparently a GMC TopKick (silly name)

6931741723_d4dbc8952c_z.jpg

Just for Kicks by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6785625142_c5f646081a_z.jpg

Battering Ram by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

6931740877_d96b2f9340_z.jpg

Uncle Sam's Rams by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

For the Magnum fans with bonus Spanish Alfa content!

6931742661_ffbc987953_z.jpg

El Magnum magnifico by quicksilver coaches, on Flickr

^Like your pair of Maggies there; Mk1 and 2 in one shot, is unusual.

IMAG0754.jpg

IMAG0753.jpg

Found these two lurking at the back of a yard on Saturday morning. I'm particularly taken with the S80 - it appears to be in the livery of the last proper job it had, a CV repair shop in Markinch High St., which isn't there any more. Mind you, the rudimentary nudge bar on the front of the ERF looks handy... :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, these are quite rare now eh? I have an old copy of Truck magazine from 1993 that contains a '500 bhp' shootout and although the basic design was over 10 years old at the time it really looked like a premium motor, even against the then-new FH. I also have one of those large 'EMEK' models of these Scanias that I got at Truckfest in 96.

There is a silver 6 wheel rigid Centurion/Streamline that drives around my home town all the time. I think its just a 6-pot one though. Quite a machine!

I reckon it was originally a tractor and has latterly been extended and now tows a drawbar. Its always full of some old rammle, more often than not scrap as theres a large breakers up the back of me. Incientally theres a plain-flavoured one sitting in that very yard where it will probably remain as the scrapman is a miserable cunt.

The 6-pots are getting thin on the ground now, altho' there's a really tidy 360, on t'Bay just now. The £10k asking price is a bit salty, but an equally good V8 might make that.

The logic behind them's hard to fault: they're incredibly tough, simple to fix (mechanical injection pump, not electronic), and a 6-legger will run at 44t quite happily (the standard chassis was designed for 55t use in Sweden).

I'll have to keep an eye out for the silver drawbar; the plain one might be ex-McLenaghan's of Slamannan. They had a 360 doing the pallet collections, and I haven't seen it for a while.

The 6-pots are getting thin on the ground now, altho' there's a really tidy 360, on t'Bay just now. The £10k asking price is a bit salty, but an equally good V8 might make that.

The logic behind them's hard to fault: they're incredibly tough, simple to fix (mechanical injection pump, not electronic), and a 6-legger will run at 44t quite happily (the standard chassis was designed for 55t use in Sweden).

I'll have to keep an eye out for the silver drawbar; the plain one might be ex-McLenaghan's of Slamannan. They had a 360 doing the pallet collections, and I haven't seen it for a while.

I agree. I had a 113 360 for about 8 years. not the best of pullers but totally reliable, and sounded good with a straight through eminox. I was sad to see it go, but she was drinking almost as much oil as diesel

scan0004.jpg

I see your FL10 and raise you an R113m 360. I imagine my old one here has either been cubed or exported long ago, it was shagged when I had it

scan0005.jpg

Scania was "replaced" with this. what a complete P.O.S the early actros really was. no torque, huge appetite for very expensive synthetic oil and stupid slow clicky flappy paddle gearbox. I hated it with a passion.

scan0006.jpg

Shitty merc replaced with this..lovely motor and hard to fault apart from the colossal N/s blind spot. I ran this when firms were "flagging out" in the late '90s to avoid the ludicrously dear RFL, hence the dutch plate

scan0011.jpg

This was my first ever wagon. 1993 Daf 85. ok to drive but only a 330 and out of its depth at 38t

Pollock's have put a 141 in their show fleet; I'd a feeling something was missing from the 'period' livery, and looking at the pic of yours, I know what it is. A TELEX NUMBER! No TruckShite Haualge enterprise is complete without a telex machine, so we could all stand round it, and wait for the jobs to pour in. Fie on you, internet, you're far too modern... :lol:

Great photo, tho', all joking aside. I've spent a wee while looking at it, realising how different it is. You still in the mug's game that is truck driving?

@Oman...I was re-reading this thread earlier, and I read your comment about the Asda drivers giving the old ECS's the bodyswerve. There was a clique in Grangemouth who held onto them...and looked after tham like they owned them. There's a neat symmetry to your Actros comment tho; the one thing that unified them was hatred of the Actroses they got as Christmas rentals. I had one of their drivers very sheepishly asking me for the keys to 'his' Scanny, 'cos he couldn't get the Merc in reverse. Even after I showed him how.

Legend had it that Merc's engineers used the 'Telligent Shift / EPS system, 'cos the G16 box was so abysmally heavy to use, that Titan himself would struggle. But I had a pleasant few weeks with an Actros tipper a few years back, which had the hydraulic-assisted lever, and it was fine, if a bit slow. Never understood that one!