Great number plates - got any?

outlaw118

Saw this yesterday, I wonder if it was standard issue or if you can buy stuff in Germany like you can here?

40903_415902257825_711072825_4818360_6826782_n.jpg

You don't have to buy plates over here actually. The first 1, 2 or 3 letters refer to the city or 'Kreis', in this case BIT for Bitburg, the following stuff is your choice if desired, costs about €20, otherwise you get a random combination. BIT-CH may belong to a Christian Harman maybe, as many people choose their initials for their plates. Although DO-OM and DO-IT became quite popular recently...

Personal plates don't seem to be quite such a big thing here though, people sometimes go for their initials or perhaps a short or repeating number. We have just a 'D' prefix here for Düsseldorf, so are free to make up a following combination of one or two letters, then 1,2,3 or 4 numbers. Obviously longer area prefixes as seen above cuts down the characters you can play with. My colleagues surname is Draxler, and he has D RX 2002; he got married in 2002, but with a few exceptions, you rarely see anything really clever like you do in the UK.

I will have to register the van over here at some point. It's an '84 Dodge Ram. I would like something like D OD 93 or D OD 9384, but not really sure how the system works. Does anyone know if there is a DVLA style web system in Germany where you can look up to see what numbers have been taken?

Sorry, didn't mean to steer the thread too far off subject.

I had to post this here...

100_1341-vi.jpg

I know being a Cyprus number it doesn't really count, but since I'll be driving around with it for some time to come I am rather pleased to get something so short. Strictly speaking it should be 008, as Cyprus does use the leading-zero, but you often see cars without them. I know at least one car with the zero in the plate at one end, but not at the other... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Coming off the M1 on the way home from work tonight, I pulled up behind two cars stood at the traffic lights at the top of the slip road. One had V 12 BOM as it's plate, but it was disapointingly only a black VW Passat. But beside it was a black Mercedes CL 600, which of course is a V12 bomb!! It's reg number was 1 DD! As I approached, I thought it was supposed to look like I DO, but maybe there's some other significance? A pair of cool plates though, even if they should have been swapped round.

Only seem to have seen rubbish plates lately - the really messed up ones which make you wonder how desperate for attention the owners really are. There's 'A1 NCR' on a black Jag round here - my initials and choice of car in one, the jammy old git!

I was however, recently driving for Pollock's, whose trucks are mostly fitted with plates ending 'PSL', the company initials; pondering plates, when it occurred to me that you could have SAU 549E. Stick it on a rusty Merc, and you truly have a German banger...

Or ASH 173R. We could chip in for that one, and share it out, 6 months at a time.

Saw a Corsa being driven by a proper munter the other day. The plate may have been a giveaway. (With Cornflakes most likely)

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for R10 GAY are:

Date of Liability 01 03 2011

Date of First Registration 27 03 2007

Year of Manufacture 2007

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1229CC

CO2 Emissions 146g/Km

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour RED

Vehicle Type Approval M1

I also considered various footballer connections, and the carnival aspect of it all. Future money earner? Nope. After that I went for a shit.

• 1 month later...

Followed a van (a Renault thingie I think) belonging to an industrial door company. Registration was DO02 NOB, I guess with the intention of the 2 being made to look like an R. Thought it was quite clever, only noticed it though because I chuckled at the NOB bit.

There's a weird one round my way - BUT 100K (but look, presumably) on a mingebag spec silver Merc W124 that never seems to get washed and has a full complement of scuffed wheeltrims.

Surely if they want to be looked at in admiration, they're going about it all wrong? A slightly scuzzy 20 year old Berlin taxi is only likely to impress us 'shiters.

Guest Leonard Hatred
Saw the perfect plate for Hitler today.. WHO 2 GAS

Perfect number plate for the World's Most Brutal BL to Bust forum too.