Nibblet

I boughted a Saab

That's ace!

Same colour as the one my Grandad had back in the early 80's, we called it "the submarine car" when we were kids.

Sadly he's lost his marbles and doesn't remember his Saabs anymore :( but I'll be showing him this thread to see if it jogs his memory.

First off oil was changed for some kwality £15 20/50. The engine turns freely and the oil was surprisingly clean.

Carburettors on these V4 Saabs are a FOMOCO turd which is not highly regarded... It will be cleaned and used briefly before I buy an appropriate Weber.

The body unsurprisingly is worse than I thought,

some rusty holes in the front valance. The wings bolt on so beating out the dents there will be easy enough.

post-18107-0-48742900-1471864858_thumb.jpg

Turtle as in it's turned turtle or are the photos just upside down? ;-)

When you say project, how fooked is it? Edit: Ah.

It's fairly shagged, 55k miles on the clock, the seats and steering wheel appear to corroborate that. The wings and front valance are the areas that will need attention. Sills, floor and upper regions look alright. Moar photos to follow.

My uncle had two or three estate versions of this in the late 70's.

One was red, one was yellow and there may not have been another one, actually.

I loved the little seat in the back that allowed us kids to survey the view to the rear.

Great cars, I had two. The wings go around the sidelights, they are held in place by a 'saddle' which collects mud and crud; take them off, clean and rustproof, they don't look too bad. Only worrying part for rot is the join between inner wing, floor and bulkhead, this is virtually impossible to repair.

my second one wa a 96L, bigger bumpers and slightly roomier.  I think it also had a Weber carb and not Ford, well it didn't die from fuel evaporation unlike the earlier one. More frog than turtle though, especially as the 96L was in Kermit Green :o. Get it running, they are remarkably sure-footed and fun to drive and the only cars other than the Alfa that I would ever have again.

Great: always wanted to try one of these because FREEWHEEL.

The freewheel 'operation device' is located on the floor to the left of the clutch pedal, a little plastic T handle. How the fuck you're supposed to push it in, never mind pull it out whilst driving I can't imagine!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By strangeangel
      I thought I'd start a thread for this as I'll probably end up asking all sorts of questions, given that this is my first 'proper' Citroën.

So... the ground clearance lever won't go all the way to the highest setting (all others work), which is bad 'cos the book says I need it to do that in order to check the LHM level. It feels like something's seized, so I don't want to force it. Any ideas for a plan of attack would be much appreciated.

Next up are the wheels. I now have a set of 205 pepperpots that have just gone off for powder coating & I need to get some tyres for them. The handbook says the car should have 165/70R14s on, the wheels came with 185/65R14 on. Any thoughts about what size I should get please? Cheers.

• By PhilA
      Well, here we go again. I bit the bullet and bought me this.

It's still up at the lot right now, there will be a miniature Collection Thread embedded in this thread when I go fetch it. Hopefully if the weather's good, that'll be this weekend.

So, what is it?

As the title suggests, it's a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain.
      It's got a flat-head straight eight hiding in the engine bay, 4.4 litres of it. It's bolted to a 4-speed Hydra-Matic Drive gearbox. No torque converter on this one, just a fluid coupling. 116 horses at a screaming 3700 RPM, 240lb/ft at 2000. It idles at 375 RPM. Redline just shy of 4k.
      Did I mention it's quite big? Sixteen foot eight from end to end and it seats six people in comfort. Every door has a quarter-light, too. Comfort is provided by properly sized tyres and (quite surprisingly for the age of it) double independent wishbone front suspension. Steering is via worm/wheel steering box so is moderately direct and the brakes are hydraulic drums all round. Modern and scientific!

It's an honest example; looks to have had a "restoration" about 15-20 years back and the rust is coming through the seams and filler. The bottoms of the door skins have gone, the bottom of the A-pillars have gone (the front doors, on a single hinge a piece still open and close with one finger!) And it's got a couple holes and blebs in all the places you would expect.
      Not much electrical works. It needs to be completely rewired because someone has "converted" it to 12V. Thankfully it was originally negative ground so that's a good start. Gauges and such can be driven from a 6V bucking converter.
      Engine has had some work done on it- starts and runs nicely with very little greb coming out of the exhaust. It's got a few gaskets that need replacing and the tappets need some major adjustment, the gearbox engages gears correctly, the steering is okay but has a lot of slack in the center and the brakes work well, dont sink or feel spongy but need adjustment.

More to come. I'll post up more pictures when I get it home.

--Phil
    • By rainagain
      With a growing family I found I needed a car with six seats, I really didn’t want to end up with a people carrier so I looked at estates with seats in the boot. I really wanted a diesel V70 after owning an S80 but I couldn’t find one I could afford. I looked at 307 SW/estates and found an estate being advertised seriously cheap that just needed ‘brake pads’.  I had the slightly stupid idea of fitting the rear seat mounts and seat belts from a 307 to this estate to save money as the estates are so much cheaper than the SWs.

Before even seeing the car I sent a cheeky text offer of just slightly more than half the advertised price and the owner accepted, it had been her grandad’s car then she had been using to transport her dogs around but now didn’t need. The viewing was a bit mixed it had obviously been sitting for a while as all the discs were rusted up, the ‘brake pads’ it required turned out to be an ABS fault, both this and the stability control lights were on. It had some giffer parking marks on the bumpers and one of the rear doors. The inside stunk of fag smoke and dogs and there was dog hair all over the back half of the car. The clutch/DMF made a slight squeaky noise that went away when you pressed the clutch, whilst the spare wheel was lying in the boot as the carrier mounts had dropped off.

However it was my OH that discovered the best bit, whilst sitting in the car she pressed a button next to the hand brake and the electric roof cover rolled back, this wasn’t an estate, it was the more expensive glass roofed SW complete with all seat mounts and belts in the boot and better than that it was the SE edition so second top of the range! I gave it a quick drive around their estate as it wasn’t taxed and insured and it seemed to go ok. Back at their home I haggled another £50 off due to the ABS fault and the car was mine.

A days insurance purchased and I started to head to my dad's, the drive home resulted in more dash light bingo.