Datsun buying into Mitsubishi

Felly Magic

Just been reading on the interwebz that Datsun is buying a large chunk of rival Japanese manufacturer Mitsubishi. Could this mean more badge engineering perhaps?

$2.2 billion it's costing for a 34% stake, which is a hefty chunk, and Datsun already have links with Renner....

Iirc Renault bailed Nissan out,then in around 2012, Nissan payed all debts and bought into Renault,buying a reasonable chuck of the business. Now taking part of Mitsubishi.

That would give Datsun stakes in Renner, Dacia, Lada and Mitsubishi

Well the desperate rebadging of the L200 as a Fiat could have been warning signs. Their car range barely registers on the radar these days

Its a real shame as they used to make some fine cars.   Shogun, 3000GT, FTO and Lancer Evos were all good cars I think.

Bring back the Lonsdale name I say.

• Like 2

I can't believe Nissan have to sell a rebadged Duster.

I know Dusters are OK but for a marque that used to make bulletproof motors the links with Renault can't have done Nissans reputation any good

Micras are made in the Indian Dacia plant I believe these days too

Can't say I'm mega surprised given the alliances and mergers we've had recently. MitsiDatNaultDa will be able to save loads through platform sharing and common engines.

Or it'll all go a bit BL.

I can't believe Nissan have to sell a rebadged Duster.

I know Dusters are OK but for a marque that used to make bulletproof motors the links with Renault can't have done Nissans reputation any good

Nissan started going to shit before Renault had any influence, see stretchy timing chains, weak gearboxes in Almeras and imploding 2.5/3.0 Di engines.

• Like 2

The current Mitsubishi Mirage is a proper dismal looking little thing both inside and out, and looks quite overpriced for what it is.  Possibly the closest thing on the market today to a CityRover.

• Like 4

Qashqai and Juke firmly prop Nissan up. The rest of the 'normal' car range is pretty shit.

As for Mitsubishi, their range has nothing remotely exciting in it. No hot-hatches, coupes, convertibles etc. I think the ASX has done OK, I quite like the look of them. They needed to make a good, solid Colt - bread and butter for them. I don't even know if there is one these days or not.

Many of the cars that Mitsubishi had been fiddling the figures for had been produced for Nissan.

Maybe there has been some sort of "please don't sue us" deal?

The current Mitsubishi Mirage is a proper dismal looking little thing both inside and out, and looks quite overpriced for what it is. Possibly the closest thing on the market today to a CityRover.

It's a shame because the last Colt was a good wee thing, nippy, nice to drive and very roomy for a small car.

The Mirage looks like the third world car it is.

One day there will be an all encompassing car company called Omni Consumer Products or something similar.

• Like 3

It's a shame because the last Colt was a good wee thing, nippy, nice to drive and very roomy for a small car.

The Mirage looks like the third world car it is.

I've had my lancer two years now and I still love it, the room inside the cabin has to be seen to be believed its like a Tardis and better screwed together than people seem to think, agree on the new mirage though as its awfull.

When I think back over the years they have had some odd ball cars,

I can't think of another car with a high low box that isn't 4wd, the cordia was different, tredia mid sized sallon, Sapporos nothing like it and the newer ones had that space age look, gallant 4 wheel steering that probably scared of a few people not used to new fangled gadgets, the whole range had a turbo model to.

I bet they have struggled for more years in the UK than they care to count as you just didn't see as many mitsys as other makes on the roads.

• Like 2

There was a recent emmisions scandal where Mitsubishi built cars that were also sold as Nissan's used rather a lot more fuel than the manufacturers claimed. This led to Mitsubishi shares loosing a lot of value.

Infiniti use the same 1.5dci engine as used in the Micra,clio,juke,Qashqa and dacia models.

I was in a Infiniti dealer during the week,the salesman was trying to tell me it is a merc engine.But i am sure the merc engine is a 1.6 diesal as used in the c class,X-trail and some  Qashqa models.

The salesman was saying that at pdi the merc stickers are taken off the engine and gearbox.

The one popular Mitsi model is the f-ugly plug-in hybrid Outlander. I don't think Renner/Nissan has any in-house hybrid tech, so that may be the reason the deal makes sense.

Can you imagine how good a Renault with even more complicated electrics will be?

I can't see what the beef with the Mirage is other than it's really expensive for what it is. It looks OK IMO, the interior looks OK too. The last Colt's interior was pretty flimsy so the Mirage will probably be similar after a few years. The engine gets grief for sounding horrible but the OMG PERFECT VAG Up! darling of the press 3 cylinder sounds thrashy and awful too when uh, thrashed. Just like most humdrum 3 or 4 cylinder engines in mundane cars do.

$2.2 billion it's costing for a 34% stake, which is a hefty chunk, and Datsun already have links with Renner....

That price sounds over inflated to me*

*see recent scandal