is it just me ....?

Went to a collectors fair today.   Full of this shit. 

Chalk-painted 1950s sideboards.   Some wanky table lamp thing with a Villiers crankcase cover.   A kitchen dinette thing made out of some council granny bars.    

Fucking steam punks and hipsters cannibalising stereo-grams and sewing machines for, what, I don't even fucking know what they have made FFS.   I just know its all about two hundred nicker.  

Glad I filled my house up with proper stuff before they got it all.  Cunts.

See, that, I get...No problem.  I had a garden seat once made out of a Zodiac front bench.   Well, it wasn't MADE from it - it WAS once, just mounted on a couple of wooden blocks and wedged against the back wall of the house.  No fannying about.   Its the upcycle shit that does me in.   AND the price.  But most of all the twunts who buy it.

Bloke turns some old car parts into decoration and functional items for the house.

Is really pleased with the results so posts them on AUTOSHITE to much admiration (there's a thread on the other side).

Bloke then decides to see if he can make some money out of it.

Spends days on each unique piece so prices appropriately (doesn't want to mug himself off, become a wage slave in a race to the bottom who's only relief is moaning on the GOM thread).

Comes back to autoshite to thank all for the support and kind words that encouraged him to make this new venture but....

Gets called a cunt, compared to Harry Enfield and told he's ruining it for everyone else.

Bloke turns some old car parts into decoration and functional items for the house.

Is really pleased with the results so posts them on AUTOSHITE to much admiration (there's a thread on the other side).

Bloke then decides to see if he can make some money out of it.

Spends days on each unique piece so prices appropriately (doesn't want to mug himself off, become a wage slave in a race to the bottom who's only relief is moaning on the GOM thread).

Comes back to autoshite to thank all for the support and kind words that encouraged him to make this new venture but....

Gets called a cunt, compared to Harry Enfield and told he's ruining it for everyone else.

Thing is, though, there is a fine line between what you are describing and being a chancing piss-taker.

Guest Hooli

Some folk have more money than sense...

For a lot of people that is still true even when they are flat broke.

A few years ago somebody on a Honda FB page I frequent created this absolute masterpiece, and he was quite proud of his achievement

I mean, just take a moment to breathe in its magnificence. He was offering to make more for anyone that was interested, I declined the opportunity at that time

148f0e9d93b9c05bd39940d0a73c7152.jpg

It looks like someone has pissed themselves with excitement in it. Repeatedly.

I'm not totally innocent in this I actually sold about 10-12 car seats converted into desk chairs. I stopped doing it as I didn't have enough time to build them (I had a good few orders) and weld up rusty old crock at the same time.

I've got a Bentley Continental GT interior that's been sitting for about 2 years I'll get around to doing in about 2034

217135_211860688843200_3797094_n.jpg?oh=

243373_222798627749406_4992981_o.jpg

165170_187136471315622_5786662_n.jpg?oh=

website1_large.jpg

They're quite classy cort16, is the second last one from an XM?

Yes it's an XM. I think it's my favourite one as the seat looks great and  the base my mate rescued from a skip at the school his wife worked at and was really good quality.

I had a massive war getting all the electric seat gubbins out of it as it weighed more than the seat.

I normally charged between £100 - £150 depending on the seat. It cost about 50 quid for the bases and the parts I used to build the mounts. Seats normally cost between £30-£60 and they took me 3-4 hours to build so not

fortunes to be made plus couriering them is a pain in the arse!

The Ferrari one's cost more obviously.

tbh they're okay but not brilliant. The bases I had allowed the base to tilt so you could adjust them to suit a bit better but they don't have a lot of lower back support.
The one I've got at home is built of a starion turbo seat and I've used that for years with no ill effect.

The biggest problem I had was with height. The height of the seat base is much bigger than an office chair so when you mount it on a seat base then add a mounting bracket it pushes the height up quite a lot.

In all honesty I can't see what all the big wooohoo is all about. If folk want to pay big prices for old unwanted tat that's their choice. I think anyone would do the same. I know if I could sell something for a grand that owed me a tenner i bloody would. While silly buggers are daft enough to pay 2k for a sanded off wardrobe then pastel painted them folk will keep doing it.

I keep seeing this shit and part of me thinks 'hey I can paint things really badly', but then I stop and think 'but surely nobody is actually stupid enough to pay that'. There's 3 quite nice wooden chairs outside the charity shop at £5 each. Just maybe I'll gamble on fucking one up and see what happens.

On a similar theme, a local faceache group had some mong who'd chopped the front off a corsa C and banged it on a bed. Classy stuff. It wasn't this one but looked equally shit:

M5EbvGsR.jpg

Is a car seat any good as an office seat? surely by the time you are sat at 'desk height' the angle of the bit you sit on is all wrong.

I think it would be great. Anyone gets to close, deploy side airbag. Job done.