1980s Volvo...the Itera Plastic bicycle

inconsistant

No, I don't need another car... we don't really need both of the cars we already have because most of my regular journeys are by bike and the Mrs uses the bus. We can just about justify having two cars in that the Versatile Forty is the boring/sensible/dependable tool and the 924 provides the everything else I need from a car. We've got it all covered.

So I bought a Volvo, another Volvo. To keep the V40 company.

But this one is much more interesting, because its a cheap(ish) Volvo from the 80s, which I've bought sight unseen off of a stranger, that I don't need. I've been casually looking for one for ages, and I recently found one in fantastic condition, with some original accessories and paperwork, the location is fairly convenient (as in: not Scotsvmland) and the seller was up for a deal. I tried to stop myself but I just couldn't. After a bit of internet haggling I committed to buying it for a bit over two thirds of the advertised price. It's bought, so too late to back out now.

I won't give away details until I've sorted out the necessary logisticals but I'm aiming to collect it this week one evening after work. I'll do a live but dull collection thread if you're happy to play along with the gentle teasing and deliberate avoidance of details. I hope it won't disappoint you all too much.

Autoshite is a bad influence and makes me do naughty things.

Slight snag has been hit, I was hoping to collect tomorrow evening but I've just heard from the seller and he's told me theres a puncture on the rear and he didn't realise until he had a look over it today.

He said he'd get it sorted asap which seems very fair and reasonable, and we've postponed collection until Friday.

Thing is I've been reminded the Mrs is out on friday so ill need to head straight home... looks like collection might not be until early next week as I can't do the weekend. Sulk.

Slight snag has been hit, I was hoping to collect tomorrow evening but I've just heard from the seller and he's told me theres a puncture on the rear and he didn't realise until he had a look over it today.

He said he'd get it sorted asap which seems very fair and reasonable, and we've postponed collection until Friday.

Thing is I've been reminded the Mrs is out on friday so ill need to head straight home... looks like collection might not be until early next week as I can't do the weekend. Sulk.

If it's a 300 series then I might be able to help on Friday and play go between.

If it's a 760 I'm busy.

(!)

There was a 440 for sale near me (Suffolk). It was An N reg and by 2008 it had about 3k on the clock. According to the MOT history it put about 20 miles on each year going for its mot then it jumped 5k for a few years to get to 17k and was up for the princely sum of £550 on auto trader. Good luck with the collection. I look forward to pics.

You forgot my favourite Volvo.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Well, it could be. He didn't say it WASNT a rare import that no one has actually ever seen an example for sale of in Britain, did he?

I had not forgotten the 780 but had ruled it out on the cheapness comment.

I have thought about importing one a couple of times, but they work out quite expensive and I guess drive like a 760 of that period, which I sold new.

I do hope it's a 480.

I really like 480s. They were high on the list when I ended up with the 924, but back then I was scared off by supposed reliability/durability issues. 

You forgot my favourite Volvo.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Well, it could be. He didn't say it WASNT a rare import that no one has actually ever seen an example for sale of in Britain, did he?

I really like 780s. They didn't feature on my list when I got the 924, but I still like them. Only ever seen them abroad.

I can neither confirm nor deny speculation but can confirm that it's an interesting, overlooked underdog, as you would very well expect.

I have always loved 480s from the first dealer demo car in 1987 I had to take home to familiarise myself with the product. I went on to have three as company cars and owned a 480ES 1.7 myself 5 years ago. Fragile cars made very poorly but I would have another just for the looks.

But today the strangest and oddest 80s Volvo to my mind is the 260, no faster than a 240 with a lazy, thirsty, cam eating V6. I missed selling these new as I only started with Volvo in 1985 but did sell a couple of low mileage used one and was not impressed. So today I would like one, estate auto please!

post-4787-0-93787800-1461743667_thumb.jpg

My 460 Turbo's still in the garage in Stockport. It's probably the earliest one left as it was registered

before November 1990.

I still really like it; it needs to see the road but it's at the back of a looooong queue.

And no, it isn't, before anyone asks.