Wheel problem!

dollywobbler

My cheap Chinese trailer is causing me some bloody headaches. One of the wheels has actually rotted through. Nice.

The PCD is 4x100mm, 4J on a 12". The problem is, it has zero offset - and the only replacements on Ebay are in America, and serious dollar to ship. 

Centre hole is getting on for 65mm I reckon. I have already discovered that Nippa wheels will not fit. 

This is a serious headache. The trailer has been on axle stands since before Christmas, and I now need it to transport the 2CV's body for fettling. Any thoughts?

Is the body of the trailer or anything else particularly close to the wheel? If not then just get s close as you can with the offset, should be fine as long as theyre all the same.

Yes technically if you move the wheels outboard you will put slightly more stress on the bearings but shouldn't be an issue for a few mm.

4 x 100 65mm ish sounds like BMW to me, they're normally about 15mm offset, any 13inch BM steels that might fit?

Is the body of the trailer or anything else particularly close to the wheel? If not then just get s close as you can with the offset, should be fine as long as theyre all the same.

Yes technically if you move the wheels outboard you will put slightly more stress on the bearings but shouldn't be an issue for a few mm.

4 x 100 65mm ish sounds like BMW to me, they're normally about 15mm offset, any 13inch BM steels that might fit?

Problem with the Nippa wheel is that the offset moved the wheel inboard, so it just won't fit. Reversing the rim just looked very iffy.

Aye, I was gonna suggest space savers, they often look to have near-zero offset.

A CB of 65mm sounds BIG for a car though, so unless you're willing to cut out the middles with a gas-axe (or pay for machining), I think you'll struggle. 

That's less of an issue if buy cheap wheels and use spacers.

I'm not sure on the offset but would a pair of 'space saver' spare wheels off an mx5 work ? 4x100 and cheap enough from your local breakers ?

Might work, got a spare-spare for mine for £10.

Would old Mk1 Fiesta rims be any good? They were 12" but don't know about what offset they were. 

Are you sure its 100mm PCD and not 101.6 as that would be 4 inch.

Here have both 4 inch and 100mm PCD in the UK, the 100mm only has 60mm centre bore whereas the 4 inch is 65mm, both are zero offset.

I doubt any car wheels will fit as they are 99% positive offset, if the Nippa wheels move the wheel inboard then you would need zero or negative offset.

Definitely sure. I spent ages measuring it precisely. Even made a 100mm long template so I could be entirely sure. They're actually eight spokes. Snazzy. I don't really give a monkeys what style they are as long as the do the job though. Looks like there's no cheap option at this size.

While I'm at it, I do seem to get a fair bit of hitch rattle from this trailer. Didn't get any from the trailer tent, so it's not the tow ball that's the problem. Do hitches wear out? They're at least a bit cheaper...

Probably more likely to be underspecified bendy steel than wear out as such.

Could you convert the trailer to 4 inch to access cheaper wheels? Could work out less overall than posting wheels from the US.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPER-PAIR-REAR-HUB-BEARING-CARRIERS-SHORT-STUD-4-INCH-PCD-TRAILER-/272141054496?hash=item3f5cdef220:g:gyEAAOSwQiRUovZT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-INCH-Unbraked-Trailer-Hub-Bearings-TB-HUB-/221596003039?hash=item339826aadf:g:hqoAAOSwdpxUWh8Z

Or use wobble bolts to get the 4 inch PCD wheels on it??

Rivet it up and use a horse as the towing machine.

I once had a little 8" pressed steel wheel fall apart at 60mph, it had stress fractured. It was all amazingly uneventful, just a bit of a bang from behind and a few sparks, no swerving or anything nasty. I had two spares, one which had a tyre which only held pressure for 30 mins, the other had a rotten rim. I chose the rotten rim and limited the speed, I was surprised it held up. 

Hitches rarely wear but it's not unknown. There are two sizes, but I doubt China knows that. I have an old imperial one somewhere, for a trailer which was sent down the stony road many years ago.

It'd be unusual for an 'AMerican' thing to have metric dimensions surely? 

Perhaps a stupid suggestion but if the PCD is definitely 100, would the best thing long-term be to get a set of 13" wheels from something very common and use spacers if necessary to get them clear the trailer?

Might it be cheaper/easier to hire/borrow a trailer for the occasion?

I am contemplating that, though it doesn't really help with having a knackered trailer on the driveway. Once Elly's chassis is stuck in the garage, I'll be seriously struggling for parking space. Could really do with the Prelude selling! XM gets a stay of execution as it's going to be useful for hauling.

Agree with seth, could you not use spacers and then the Nippa wheels would be of use? You can also get 'wobble bolts' if the pcd doesnt quite match or in more extreme circumstances you can get adaptors to mate one pcd to another or even 5 to 4 stud etc.

Agree with seth, could you not use spacers and then the Nippa wheels would be of use? You can also get 'wobble bolts' if the pcd doesnt quite match or in more extreme circumstances you can get adaptors to mate one pcd to another or even 5 to 4 stud etc.

By the time I've bought spacers and some more wheels (as I don't really want to render the Nippa unusable), I might as well just buy the right wheels. Not cheap, but I guess the thing needs some upkeep. Might even repack the wheel bearings.

Sorry, didn't see this until it was dark. And cold. I'll have a look tomorrow.

The wobbly hitch and stupid wheels make me think this trailer should be in America, not Wales. I've just had another trawl for wheels and drawn another blank. Any of the suggestions above from UK sellers have a centre bore that's too small. That also rules out spaces, as the wheels still won't fit! I've got a pile of galvanised scrap sitting on the driveway at the moment.