Retroshite

DodgyBastard

Interesting model of doing things, and im glad its working for you.

Question, do the raffles only take place through FB? Or is there a webpage where they can be entered as well? 

Seems like something I'd like to get in on, but a relatively recent desire not to use social media prohibits this. Would be keen to know

8 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Interesting model of doing things, and im glad its working for you.

Question, do the raffles only take place through FB? Or is there a webpage where they can be entered as well? 

Seems like something I'd like to get in on, but a relatively recent desire not to use social media prohibits this. Would be keen to know

I have a website people can use to get involved in the raffles and although Facebook is used for a lot of the promotional stuff it isn't a requirement to enter. The livestream of the draw is done on Facebook then subsequently uploaded on YouTube and winners are contacted via email or phone, whichever they entered when purchasing tickets.

Check out retroshite.com

Now the problem with building up a following from raffles and having a car buying addiction is everything I buy, people just automatically assume it'll be getting raffled.

Here's some of the stuff I have at the moment.

IMG_20231115_141324207.thumb.jpg.404541f19a6629ee91680badcc6924b6.jpg

IMG_20231115_141315053.thumb.jpg.ce05f4a1fb306698ff7248be54db94a8.jpg

I'm not actually sure what to do with these 2 little yellow bikes, bought them because I thought they were cool but apart from razzing around the yard a few times I don't use them much. The smaller rm80 is insanely fast and loads of fun but I like the look of the rm100 more.

IMG_20231112_111649871.thumb.jpg.d70c540d3cfe5a272212d9dfa599a09d.jpg

IMG_20231106_155809824.thumb.jpg.1027ec69f53b40a74a1e6b7c593e42cd.jpg

Picked up the proton recently but my yard is so packed full of cars it's still on the truck as I have nowhere else to put it, the 626 has been pressed into daily use.

IMG_20231031_155030088.thumb.jpg.124bd509bff649e237b4f47e37def3a0.jpg

I'm keeping the Impreza as a winter runner, it proved useful last time it snowed.

IMG_20231020_123904775.thumb.jpg.a5c59837c71a4affcb0412759e5fdde3.jpg

The Corolla may be off to a new home soon.

IMG_20231002_153009954.thumb.jpg.7b2ee0ff9854f7288a41222a48b27672.jpg

The 505 is a keeper, as is the recovery truck, lada needs a bunch of welding as does the Skoda so they are on the keep list for now, the daf 66 is a keeper, not sure about the chevette.

IMG_20230814_132607912.jpg

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

For your own sanity, I’d give Youtube a miss. Some great videos on there but some fucking dense, dense people. 

Some of my most popular videos on there are the dullest ones with no talking and just showing vehicles being driven from different angles. I'd prefer to be behind the camera anyway so maybe there's a market for that kind of stuff.

You seem to have some decent camera gear, I think that is more important than being happy in front of one.  I believe some folk use You Tube as something to chill them out and actively seek content with no dialogue.  If you've ever watched Flexiny, it's basically his hands and some old heap he's dragged from a field and bringing it back to life. He then thrashes it about his land. I think its brilliant and seems popular.

I gave up on my You Tube as apart from a complete lack of time and money to do anything remotely interesting with my cars, stuff being filmed on my potatocam phone wasn't exactly slick 😅

Some of the most useful stuff has been the badly filmed jobs giving a tip. Some great channels out there like Alan Howatt and Chops Garage.

Some of it is annoying shit where some berk thinks he’s Jeremy Clarkson, giving a road test, a load of bullshit he’s read on owners forums about what goes wrong etc. It’s quite refreshing to just have the content being just the car. 

51 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

You seem to have some decent camera gear, I think that is more important than being happy in front of one.  I believe some folk use You Tube as something to chill them out and actively seek content with no dialogue.  If you've ever watched Flexiny, it's basically his hands and some old heap he's dragged from a field and bringing it back to life. He then thrashes it about his land. I think its brilliant and seems popular.

I gave up on my You Tube as apart from a complete lack of time and money to do anything remotely interesting with my cars, stuff being filmed on my potatocam phone wasn't exactly slick 😅

Flexiny is one of the best automotive YouTube channels and his viewer numbers prove that it doesn't need much more than pulling a heap out of a hedge, making it run and cleaning it up in solitude to be successful. If you do it regularly that is.

I always enjoyed watching your stuff on YT, especially the Chevette weldathons etc. 

There's a guy called Mad4Motors whose latest videos are just long form restorations. Not much commentary.

I'd certainly watch stuff if you made it, but suppose it is a lottery playing the algorithm / people's taste. 

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I have a few second hand digital cameras which provide all of the quality I really need for what I'm doing. For videos I'm using a mixture of canon m5, canon G7xii, Dji osmo pocket and Dji Mini SE drone. For images it's a Nikon d300 I use. The most frustrating thing about having all that gear is when making reels for facebook, the most popular ones are filmed in portrait mode on my phone which isn't particularly good quality.

@RetroShite is the best buyer I've ever dealt with. Zero fucking about and great to deal with.

He buys a prodigious amount of shite but the stuff he gets off here there's almost always plenty of time for someone else to swoop in before he makes a move. There's also still plenty of shite to go around from the real world. 

2 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

Just play fair on here, don't hoover up the decent chod like a junky does smack with a stolen bank card. I know you were in a bad place but you were ducking out of order to a few lads on here. Take it easy bigyin

Get yourself to fuck.

I'm no saint but it goes both ways. How about you ask your Mrs to stop greeting every time I buy a car on here. 

On the YouTube there is definitely a market for non-talking videos, absolutely does my head in when I'm looking at a DIY video on how to do a specific job and I have to skip through 5 min of a man talking tediously to camera to get to the content.

Money is money and if other shitters ain't bitting then tough. You can't keep everything on the forum. Do other members get stick for selling on car & classic or eBay? 

@RetroShite Well done man. I think it's fucking brave of you to change things up and sack in your old job. I wish I could do the same at times.  You've found your niche with the raffles. 

Instead of YouTube how about a shite equivalent of DriveDad'sCar? 

"DriveYerDa'sBanger"

A choice collection of  exquisite chod for driving at 20 quid a go for 10/15 minutes?

Sign me up! 

10 minutes ago, GMcD said:

Money is money and if other shitters ain't bitting then tough.

Exactly.   I'd have loved to have jumped on Juulars 205.  But like everyone else, I had plenty opportunity and didn't stump the cash.  

4 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

And here was me being nice

Didn't come across like it.

13 minutes ago, GMcD said:

Money is money and if other shitters ain't bitting then tough. You can't keep everything on the forum. Do other members get stick for selling on car and classic or eBay? 

@RetroShite Well done man. I think it's fucking brave of you to change things up and sack in your old job. I wish I could do the same at times.  You've found your niche with the raffles. 

Instead of YouTube how about a shite equivalent of DriveDad'sCar? 

"DriveYerDa'sBanger"

A choice collection of  exquisite chod for driving at 20 quid a go for 10/15 minutes?

Sign me up! 

That sounds a bit like "the great British car journey" or something like that where you can drive your dads old banger. The liability implications seem like a headache. I'll probably just stick to what I'm doing.

1 minute ago, loserone said:

Exactly.   I'd have loved to have jumped on Juulars 205.  But like everyone else, I had plenty opportunity and didn't stump the cash.  

Would you like to purchase that 205 again? It's changed hands since I raffled it but the current owner wishes to sell it for less than I paid for it initially.

I for one am outraged and saddened to learn that there is at least one person in the world managing to do something interesting and fun for a living. 

Makes me sick. 

I've always enjoyed the updates on the old thread and it's nice seeing the stock that rolls through the give aways. Always great to see interesting car content on here.