Jump to content

Six Cylinders Motoring Notes


Six-cylinder

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Yes 31st is FOTU and that's 92 miles away!

Knowing that FOTU finishes late afternoon this doesn't bother me much, I could pop over for a while around probably 6/7pm and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Knowing that FOTU finishes late afternoon this doesn't bother me much, I could pop over for a while around probably 6/7pm and I'm sure I won't be the only one.

It should be a nice evening if the weather is with us, but I do understand this would be a lot of driving for some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mrs6c ZX TD estate played up last night and would not switch off without stalling it and even then a couple of warning lights stayed on until I disconnected the battery. Today I took it to my favourite garage and it switched off and on just fine. I have been concerned about the gearbox and a grumbling noise so asked they checked that and it turns out to be OS front wheel bearing, so not so bad.

I collected my Beetle today after a light oil change service and MOT. It was too hot for roof down so used the aircon instead.

Today Mrs6c bought the Mercdes 200TE home loosing water and as her ZX is still at the garage so the 156 Sportwagon is going to be pressed back into service.

IMG_20210719_205448 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Mrs6c ZX TD estate played up last night and would not switch off without stalling it and even then a couple of warning lights stayed on until I disconnected the battery. Today I took it to my favourite garage and it switched off and on just fine. I have been concerned about the gearbox and a grumbling noise so asked they checked that and it turns out to be OS front wheel bearing, so not so bad.

I collected my Beetle today after a light oil change service and MOT. It was too hot for roof down so used the aircon instead.

Today Mrs6c bought the Mercdes 200TE home loosing water and as her ZX is still at the garage so the 156 Sportwagon is going to be pressed back into service.

IMG_20210719_205448 broad.jpg

My cx did that- the start stop solenoid stuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - 31st July Evening talking rubbish at FoD & 21/22 August Date set for next Field of Dreams weekend
1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Might be along next Saturday, weather dependent, but definitely for August 21/22nd.

The Mazda requires some Kurusting and rustproofing so a chance to use those shallow ramps will be welcome. 

I also need* more Vauxhall brochures in my life 😜.

Plenty of car ramps at FoD for you to use.

I have a Vauxhall van full of Vauxhall brochures, come this way sir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hairnet said:

ask @trigger about the 2000 with the tvr v8 in it at the lotus day we did if he has a video

Allow me to give you some context if I may. 

I used to do a lot of Club Triumph long distance events with my 1300TC. One, which unfortunately they don't run anymore, was the Historic Counties Run. You set off about 6 o'clock Saturday evening and finish at 9 Sunday morning. You get a point for every county visited on a given list by means of a photo of a county boundary sign or something else that can only be in that county. Additionally you are given a list of specific places for which you will earn an extra point for each. There are too many counties and places on the list to do all of them so it's up to you to decide which, plotting your route on the fly. This means each crew may do a completely different route but all meet up at the end. You lose a point for every five minutes late you are at the finish. There's usually about 20 to 30 cars on these runs, all Triumphs and obviously a fair few will be straight sixes, most have been at least mildly breathed on with big exhausts, wheels, lowered, spotlights etc, like this... 

DSC02227.thumb.JPG.7de6bf3700cba37b7d401d72264e507b.JPG

So one year we're hacking round the Peak District looking for various caves. We've just come away from Treak Cliff Cavern at about 02.30 on a Sunday. Photo to prove it, that's another point in the book... 

1156134162_HCR2010025.thumb.jpg.4a2d9d7ae46db1c94807a41cd92914fb.jpg

And we're off to the next place on the list. Passing through the small town of Castleton we notice an open and well lit public convenience in the car park. These are few and far between and my co driver wanted a fag anyway so we pulled in to the car park for a short break. 

And there in the distance was this sound. A haunting howl somewhere up on the Snake Pass. Only quiet to start with but getting slowly louder. A Triumph straight six being used in anger. We sat there for more than five minutes listening. It would sometimes die away and then suddenly come back louder as it came down the hill. We're sitting in a car park in a deserted small town centre and it's really quite eerie. Obviously as it comes down to our level the noise doesn't carry so well so it goes quiet for a couple of minutes until - bang - there it is, a GT6 glides surprisingly quietly through the town (they do stress about speed limits in towns, the club need a permit for the event and the relevant police forces are notified) and then as  it goes out the other side you hear it open up again and the howl is back. We left at that point before they come back and get past us. That sound will stay with me forever. 

Even sitting in a motorway services, hearing a Triumph straight six fly by gives you a warm feeling inside. And yet at idle they are so smooth they're almost silent. No V8 can do that. V8's burble, straight sixes howl but are smoother at the same time. They might not be as loud as a TVR V8 but it's a far superior noise. Quality not quantity. 

I stand by my original statement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years back a mate of mine had an early 1600cc Vitesse.  That was interesting as it was a straight 6 but was so tiny and underpowered that it needed to be regularly caned to keep up on fast roads or get past tractors etc.  And yes, it did sound rather wonderful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Allow me to give you some context if I may. 

I used to do a lot of Club Triumph long distance events with my 1300TC. One, which unfortunately they don't run anymore, was the Historic Counties Run. You set off about 6 o'clock Saturday evening and finish at 9 Sunday morning. You get a point for every county visited on a given list by means of a photo of a county boundary sign or something else that can only be in that county. Additionally you are given a list of specific places for which you will earn an extra point for each. There are too many counties and places on the list to do all of them so it's up to you to decide which, plotting your route on the fly. This means each crew may do a completely different route but all meet up at the end. You lose a point for every five minutes late you are at the finish. There's usually about 20 to 30 cars on these runs, all Triumphs and obviously a fair few will be straight sixes, most have been at least mildly breathed on with big exhausts, wheels, lowered, spotlights etc, like this... 

DSC02227.thumb.JPG.7de6bf3700cba37b7d401d72264e507b.JPG

So one year we're hacking round the Peak District looking for various caves. We've just come away from Treak Cliff Cavern at about 02.30 on a Sunday. Photo to prove it, that's another point in the book... 

1156134162_HCR2010025.thumb.jpg.4a2d9d7ae46db1c94807a41cd92914fb.jpg

And we're off to the next place on the list. Passing through the small town of Castleton we notice an open and well lit public convenience in the car park. These are few and far between and my co driver wanted a fag anyway so we pulled in to the car park for a short break. 

And there in the distance was this sound. A haunting howl somewhere up on the Snake Pass. Only quiet to start with but getting slowly louder. A Triumph straight six being used in anger. We sat there for more than five minutes listening. It would sometimes die away and then suddenly come back louder as it came down the hill. We're sitting in a car park in a deserted small town centre and it's really quite eerie. Obviously as it comes down to our level the noise doesn't carry so well so it goes quiet for a couple of minutes until - bang - there it is, a GT6 glides surprisingly quietly through the town (they do stress about speed limits in towns, the club need a permit for the event and the relevant police forces are notified) and then as  it goes out the other side you hear it open up again and the howl is back. We left at that point before they come back and get past us. That sound will stay with me forever. 

Even sitting in a motorway services, hearing a Triumph straight six fly by gives you a warm feeling inside. And yet at idle they are so smooth they're almost silent. No V8 can do that. V8's burble, straight sixes howl but are smoother at the same time. They might not be as loud as a TVR V8 but it's a far superior noise. Quality not quantity. 

I stand by my original statement. 

Back in Oct 2018 I went to Turweston Airfield to cheer on my friend Rob Pearce in his GT6 who has done it many times.

The Police car chase was fun.

I was driving my Vitesse to get there.

I love how the straight six Triumph sounds and my Vitesse has a non standard twin rear box set up.

For me 1st place for a road car goes to a 1st gen Camaro I was on the same rally with 30 years ago, that deep sound that makes you chest plates vibrate yet so crisp it revved out like a 16v 4 pot, I so wanted that engine.

P1080021 broad.jpg

Police chase.jpg

P1070980 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

A few years back a mate of mine had an early 1600cc Vitesse.  That was interesting as it was a straight 6 but was so tiny and underpowered that it needed to be regularly caned to keep up on fast roads or get past tractors etc.  And yes, it did sound rather wonderful.

70 bhp but it never felt that much.

This was my 1600cc Vitesse.

Vitesse 1600 n-s front broad.jpg

Vitesse 1600 n-s rear broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

If I was to buy another Triumph (that would be as well as, not in place of, my 1300TC) I think it would be a Vitesse saloon. I'd love a GT6, it is essentially the smallest possible body wrapped around the straight six engine, but prices have gone silly now. And where Vittesses are concerned you get a lot more for your money with a saloon over a convertible. And anyway I think the saloon looks better. Mr Michelotti put a lot of work into making the roof look like the rest of the car, whereas the convertible roof just looks like most other convertible roofs of the era. Mind you, a Vitesse estate would really tempt me. 

My last Round Britain Run was 2016 and they are the only run I have pictures of on this phone. This is Lands End on the Sunday morning. There are, I think, 18 or 19 six cylinders in this picture, I tried counting four times and got different answers every time. Also a fair few V8's and fours as well. 

20161009_081052.thumb.jpg.7eddbd661cdf93483311d141e39fe1fb.jpg

Plus obligatory pez station shot number 1. Skiach services, Alness. 

20161008_120522.thumb.jpg.cd42f445b0de3226884878838a18c323.jpg

And obligatory pez station shot number 2. Tebay, M6. 

20161008_221559.thumb.jpg.b9b88bbf563654773914ab27c30930ce.jpg

 

 

Also 21st of August looks like my long weekend so put me down for a probably. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...