Jump to content

Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - FoD Open Weekend 15/16 June


Six-cylinder

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

 

IMG_20240302_092945 broad.jpg

IMG_20240302_092955 crop broad.jpg

It’s probably been asked before but does anyone know the story about this place? I’ve driven past loads but never attempted a photo as it’s a fast road with no where to stop. The remarkable thing is that in general the place is well kept inasmuch as the hedges are trimmed and the plant pots have fresh bedding plants in them (as opposed to the more typical suburban BL graveyards that feature mostly brambles and buddleia) but the whole place is absolutely chock-full of derelict tat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

It’s probably been asked before but does anyone know the story about this place? I’ve driven past loads but never attempted a photo as it’s a fast road with no where to stop. The remarkable thing is that in general the place is well kept inasmuch as the hedges are trimmed and the plant pots have fresh bedding plants in them (as opposed to the more typical suburban BL graveyards that feature mostly brambles and buddleia) but the whole place is absolutely chock-full of derelict tat.

No information to offer. I have asked car people from Milton Keynes, nobody seems to know very much except the owner still lives in the house was mentioned recently.  

This morning it was wet, dull and early so I checked to see all 170 bhp were working and had time to park opposite and move off again without getting in anybody’s way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

No information to offer. I have asked car people from Milton Keynes, nobody seems to know very much except the owner still lives in the house was mentioned recently.  

This morning it was wet, dull and early so I checked to see all 170 bhp were working and had time to park opposite and move off again without getting in anybody’s way.

He was out planting even more bulbs/flowers along the verg when I passed the other day.  I think they’re just old farmers. You know what they’re like, everythings worth loads so nothings ever scrapped or binned and if you wanna buy it, it’s worth loads….. 

The place opposite is the same with a whole section full of farm trailers rusting away. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A much better turn out today at Milton Keynes Classic Club and while a bit foggy on the way the sunshine came through.

@Prince_of_darkness91 came with his "new" Allegro and was constantly asked where the square steering wheel was!

I took the 480 and for the first time was joined by another 480.

431202872_10160420384327831_3380268253895063712_n broad.jpg

429830030_7197322783709046_7956742833863526564_n broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad there was a decent turnout.  I'd have liked to make this one but was still a significant way up the country when it happened sadly.  Hopefully the next one won't clash with anything already in my diary.  Nice to see another 480 there too, though it's one of those cars which I really do think suits white best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Glad there was a decent turnout.  I'd have liked to make this one but was still a significant way up the country when it happened sadly.  Hopefully the next one won't clash with anything already in my diary.  Nice to see another 480 there too, though it's one of those cars which I really do think suits white best.

From April the regular Milton Keynes Classic Car Club meeting at the Giffard Park will be First Friday evenings each month and they will use random Sundays for visits to various other events.

Milton Keynes Modern Classic is now on summer dates so First Saturday Breakfast meet and Third Thursday evening Classics and chow both at the Rose and Crown Ridgemont.

430611270_10160396430197887_3534596243238474716_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pez shot, yes full as I needed to see if the fuel gauge worked along with the speedo as they are often broken on these Volvos.

I have now collected the Volvo 940 Estate fitted with a new cambelt, tensioner and oil change and it is running great.

3 out 4 isn’t bad!

Yes 3 out of 4 of our Volvos are legal, working and on the drive ready to go.  

IMG_20240305_150249 broad.jpg

IMG_20240305_150317 broad.jpg

IMG_20240305_151209 broad.jpg

IMG_20240305_154119 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

 

I have now collected the Volvo 940 Estate fitted with a new cambelt, tensioner and oil change and it is running great.

3 out 4 isn’t bad!

Yes 3 out of 4 of our Volvos are legal, working and on the drive ready to go.  

IMG_20240305_150249 broad.jpg

 

 

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Volvo 940 is fixed.
On 02/03/2024 at 17:39, worldofceri said:

It’s probably been asked before but does anyone know the story about this place? I’ve driven past loads but never attempted a photo as it’s a fast road with no where to stop. The remarkable thing is that in general the place is well kept inasmuch as the hedges are trimmed and the plant pots have fresh bedding plants in them (as opposed to the more typical suburban BL graveyards that feature mostly brambles and buddleia) but the whole place is absolutely chock-full of derelict tat.

Yes, I rented a car trailer off the Old Boy ( I can’t remember his name) that lives in the bungalow on the opposite side of the road a couple of years ago. The side with the Maestros was his Mothers house and I think his cousin now lives there, they were both out planting things when I went past too , maybe I was following @Bmwdumptruck!
The Marinas are still there, just engulfed in other scrap and brambles, you can just about see the back of an Ital saloon from the road in the winter.  I chatted to him about the BL stuff and he mentioned his Mum only travelling in the back of Marinas, they bought a Princess once and it made her sick- it was dumped down the yard  when it was only a couple of years old apparently. He drives a Transit pickup now but there was a Proton Jumbuck that looked as if it might move in there , well in 2020 it did.

I was desperate to explore and take pictures but he seemed very private and I only was allowed on the premises and to rent his trailer because I knew one of his nephews, nice bloke though.

 

Just had look on Google Earth and the yard is massive and full of cars and buildings, I only went in the bit nearest the road which is full of scrap and caravans, it looks like there’s no other access to the rest of it, presumably stuff has been down there for years.

61C9F989-7FEC-4133-8D13-3D495C4DE92C.thumb.png.86657c2fb19d2401856de21d5c1135c1.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Turns out there was not much love for the Sigma at Rustival in spite of it rarity.

Rustival with Sigma b.jpg

Rustival with Sigma d.jpg

I don't know about that, judging by this footage making it into both Furious Driving and Idriveaclassic's videos. The marshals don't look particularly impressed though. It was one of only three Aussie cars there by my reckoning - this, Betty and a Monaro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

I don't know about that, judging by this footage making it into both Furious Driving and Idriveaclassic's videos. The marshals don't look particularly impressed though. It was one of only three Aussie cars there by my reckoning - this, Betty and a Monaro.

If you look at the hundreds Facebook photos nobody pointed their camera at the Sigma. Also only one person spoke to me about the car while I was sat in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes
1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

If you look at the hundreds Facebook photos nobody pointed their camera at the Sigma. Also only one person spoke to me about the car while I was sat in it.

Here's a picture to make you feel better :)

N387DVX.thumb.jpg.6c2f5c91131e56b3fb13c47be424eb2a.jpg

I don't think it was deliberately ignored, just overlooked as there was so much stuff there it became overwhelming and a hidden gem like this that looks so ordinary yet is so rare just didn't stand out enough. I've already seen a load of great cars in the videos that I missed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

If you look at the hundreds Facebook photos nobody pointed their camera at the Sigma. Also only one person spoke to me about the car while I was sat in it.

I did notice your Sigma and was pleased to see it but mistook it for a Galant, doh! I think its sits in the same kind of area of as my Subaru Forester, rare but few people care..... Maybe you should have put the bonnet up, that always seems to draw a crowd regardless of what the car is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Marina door handles said:

I did notice your Sigma and was pleased to see it but mistook it for a Galant, doh! I think its sits in the same kind of area of as my Subaru Forester, rare but few people care..... Maybe you should have put the bonnet up, that always seems to draw a crowd regardless of what the car is.

It’s only a 12 valve and pretty mundane under there.

IMG_20230912_103254 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Sigma would have been the highlight of the show for me (despite not knowing what else has been there). I definitely would have asked to have a sit inside, or even better take it for a spin. The Sigma is just one of those completely forgotten flagships, the most ambitious expensive car Mitsubishi developed at the height of the Japanese auto industry. And I think some of that might be noticeable in the estate as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All through the eighties, nineties and noughties my dad used to average 30k miles a year for work. He used to change cars every 2 years roughly and used to try oddball choices for a bit of variety, interspersed with the typical sierras and cavaliers.

He still maintains that the best car he ever had was a Sigma, a dark metallic blue estate with gunmetal grey alloys. It had the same 12v 3.0 V6 and. I remember it fondly too, and am very jealous of yours!

If I'd been at Rustival I would have been all over it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I relived an experience I used to often have, I visited a scrap yard.

Tipped off by the Volvo 700/900 Facebook group that there was a Volvo 940 in Smith’s of Bloxhams yard I visited with @Slowsilver to get a headlight wiper and some odd bits of trim for the Volvo 940. Unfortunately we missed the boot trim by a day but manged to gets some other bits.

Of all the scrap yards I used to visit in the 1980’s and 1990’s this one was always the friendliest and fair with their prices. The good news is the same applied today and I enjoyed the experience of visiting the yard.

IMG_20240313_134110 broad.jpg

431478771_10228846592664058_319448745130108207_n broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_135044 broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_135050 broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_135505 broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_135508 broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_135901 broad.jpg

IMG_20240313_142650 broad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Back in a Scrapyard!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...