For Sale - Beige Maestro 1.3 Base

garycox

As I have 3.5 broken cars and no money, something really has to go.

Sadly, it's gotta be the Maestro.

The MOT's expired, and although I don't think it needs a lot, I haven't got the money/skillz to fix it, at least not soon. It seems pointless having it sat doing nothing.

It's not currently running properly, as a Barrett/vehicle interface meant that the choke mechanism is broken. It can be manipulated manually from the actual carb, but it's either on or off. It also needs a major seervice including looking at the carb, timing etc, as it was running a bit shit for a while before the choke incident. The exhaust is also blowing, I think from the manifold as I've clouted it on a few things. Also needs a tyre, and the heater's bypassed as the pipe behind the dash leaked just after I bought it, and I never got round to fixing it :roll: . Mileage is about 49.500.

The metalwork's pretty good for a 28 year old Maestro, the nearside front wing has a small-ish hole where the mud flap used to attach, and both front arches are a little crusty. The rear arch/sill areas were welded for the last MOT, but are not particularly pretty. All the rest is in quite good order though.

The interior's good, it has the much betterer early dash and it's all very brown. Headlining is saggy. The original MW/LW radio works OK. Loads of space in the back with the seats folded.

Has a tow bar, with electrics.

It's taxed til the end of December, the MOT ran out at the start of August.

I'm looking for about £200 including the tax.

8735544213_8c740ef17c.jpg
B662 DVX / ATV 73Y by cms206, on Flickr

8735556719_ff4dcf1fe0.jpg
2013 or 1993? by cms206, on Flickr

6827402702_5ee0eab42c.jpg
Austin Maestro by Mick Travis, on Flickr

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_cox/8563708203/" title="1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base by GaryCox, on 8563708203_5ff459397a.jpg
1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base by GaryCox, on Flickr

8213422799_31b014670a.jpg

8214511126_e76dccdbc8.jpg

8213425265_a453764682.jpg

Comes with the centre caps and Montego trims, not the Cosmics obviously. Will need to be collected from Brighton, soonish please.

It's bloody brilliant, that's what it is. Getting it back wouldn't be too hard for someone either, as it's taxed you could book a local (to you) MOT, get insured (will be really cheap), get the train down and drive it home. 

I don't personally see the lack of choke being that hard to live with for now. Put the choke on, let it warm up a little so the oil has gone round a bit, then knock it off from the carb and keep it revved up for a little while. A decent tyre will probably be ten quid at most, and you could get next door's cat to do the exhaust.

GLWST, and all that, Gary, I'll show my arse in Burton's window if you still have that in about ten days time.

Wasn't this the car that won some sort of silly online competition some years ago about modded cars or summat? I remember a thread where we were all encouraged to vote.

Good luck with the sale.

Erm... I can't actually remember... I remember that happening, and that it was something beige... was it this? Does anyone else remember this thing we're talking about?

By 'needs a tyre' I mean that one of the tyres used to be the spare as Barrett punctured one of my (quite new) front ones. So it has 4, just not a spare, and I can't guarantee that the one that used to be the spare will get you to the Arctic circle or through the MOT etc, as it's quite old. It might be fine though.

This is a brilliant car. If anyone here buys it I still have a scan of the original V5 showing the original owner, an old biddy in Maldon who had it before me, then Gary's had it since. So only three owners. It is well worth saving and was very solid underneath when I had it, the welding Gary had done was the very bottom of the arch which isn't really structural in my eyes but because it was within 30cm of the seatbelt mount it failed. I properly repaired the strut top mounts inside the boot, apart from that it's never been welded. Could probably benefit from a new pair of front wings as the wheelarch lips are a bit tired, but the rear arches are unusually good, certainly not crammed with filler like most Maestros.

Yes I did enter it for that daft competition full of barry cars for a laugh. I still have the little trophy that I was sent for winning it, so again if anyone on here buys it and really wants the trophy I'll post it to them! 

Cheers AD, probably should mention that it does have rear seat belts fitted (by AngryDicky), and if they hadn't been, it wouldn't have needed those bits welding.

If I wasn't so skint I'd have it fixed myself. I doubt it'd be expensive but I need to pay for the Allegro welding and I haven't got anything else I can sell for about £200 instead.

I'll be sad to see it go, and I hope it goes to a good home. There's plenty of life left in it yet.

It's been sitting since the MOT ran out, and is not running particularly well, so if anyone was planning to drive it anywhere I'd advise bringing equipment to do a bit of a service before setting off. As it's taxed, you might be able to get a lift from a friendly AA man I suppose...

Oh, and it's probably not particularly relevant for here, but the engine won't fit in your shitty Mini project.

I still have all the paperwork that was given to me, although when I asked my parents to send me all the Maestro stuff down they helpfully just sent me the V5. I'll collect the rest when I'm next up there and forward it on. I do have a copy of the V5 from when AD had it, which shows the original owner as the former keeper.

Pics as requested of the scabby/repaired bits:

546DD36E-76D8-4C5F-A695-E75077F62A16-758

57AF8535-EDF6-4B8B-AF77-730B621DC406-758

The offside rear door has a sort of crazed effect in the paint where it seems to have been painted before. It's not that noticeable though, and the rest of the car is fine.

3E4AB026-364C-4EF5-8AF9-C640DFB45158-758

The above pics make it look a bit worse than it does overall:

37092E49-AF0E-4381-8D1E-100ED03A8FFF-758

EB95BE00-DB1F-457F-BFCB-098B812990BD-758

As already stated, I would but I doubt payment of a Mk1 Golf cabby would suffice.

Yes it would! Gary has been looking for a shit 1980s convertible for a while now, that totally fits the bill. And is also worth considerably more than the Maestro.

LET'S DO THIS

TheOrganist - it doesn't matter how far you are driving to your MoT, they rozzers just have to suck it up and accept it if you've pre-booked. As long as you're insured I doubt they'll give a fug anyway.

• 4 weeks later...