Right, time to fix stuff

Electric Leyland

Right everyone.

We are going to move boards from phpbb to vbulletin.

Autoshite member daveb47 (many thanks in advance, Mike) has kindly offered to help with technical assistance and as moderator blakey is tied up somewhere in Andalucía with the Spanish Inquisition. The new server is secure and fast, so will be much better.

This means as follows:

1. Doing a copy of database. Once that is done daveb47 will do most of the work on a test board while old board is still up.

2. We will then sort out theme and features so it looks familiar and like it should do.

3. Nameservers will then be transferred over, and subsequently the new board over.

4. It usually takes less than 24 hours for nameservers to propagate totally so please be warned there will be short downtime when this is happening.

5. It will be running Vbulletin 4

Is everyone ok with that before we start?

Cheers,

EL

That sounds gr9 EL.

Can you keep the doors closed when we move? we have enough riff raff in here all ready :lol:

Are you guys all right funding the hosting of a site you rarely use? I'm sure most people around here wouldn't mind chipping in a bit to help with running costs.

Naturally, changing forum software will call much gnashing of teeth from traditionalists as different keys will have to be used for smileys and clearly that's worse than losing a limb. Well, judging how well any changes to Facebook go down!

I look forward to heralding the new dawn of Autoshite.

Great news :)

Autoshite is dead, long live the new Autoshite!

Top work chaps, now let's just hope when the doors are reopened that we don't get invaded by mongs!

I like your new avatar.

Call it Autoshite 2, just like the Allegro, Maxi and Princess 2. Give it some new dials, bumpers, grill and wheel trims and act like it is a entirely new creation.

Oh and for fuck sake do not put a swear censor on the new one.

Autoshite is dead, long live the new Autoshite!

Top work chaps, now let's just hope when the doors are reopened that we don't get invaded by mongs!

Wise words, softly spoken.

is this like when cars swapped from points to electronic distributors, does it mean that autoshite will be easier to start on cold mornings and generally more reliable, I know nothing about software :lol:

Yaaaay! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance to you & Dave for taking the time to do this.

I'm sure most people around here wouldn't mind chipping in a bit to help with running costs.

THIS. Happy to chuck in a couple of quid towards hosting fees.

..... now let's just hope when the doors are reopened that we don't get invaded by mongs!

Also THIS. :wink:

Before I get busy writing up a draft for the grumpy post about how the new Autoshite is shit and how much better the old one was, when I save it will it still be there when Autoshite goes from Marina to Ital?

Good work lads, many thanks. I too don't mind making a donation and I think most people feel the same.

Yes we can usually scare weirdos off ourselves, it's fun to be honest.

Great stuff! If you need to do a dry run to make sure everything works before moving everything over, let us know.

Also wouldn't mind making a contribution to the running costs.

Notwithstanding what people have said about being able to cope with mongs, I think that it may be wise to have a couple of moderators, particularly since doors are [presumably] going to open and there's 94327423974 people in the FB group who can't wait* to join the main forum.

It's some of those facebook users that worry me! I'm happy to donate some poundage to the kitty and also to moderate still if you wish.

Ditto on both counts - I'd happily cough up some spondoolix to help with the running costs - but seeing as some of the Faceache cannot grasp the basic concept of "Autoshite" - I'm thinking along the lines of the posters of the new-ish Aston Martin and the 62-reg Cayenne here - that anyone wishing to join from the Faceache group should have their Faceache e-mail address as part of their signing-up process, so they can be given the rubber ear.

It'd never happen for many reasons, but I'd like to see a forum joining process like a job application whereby your references would be a link to other forums you're a member of and your user name.

Anyhow, I would happily donate a bit each month towards AS running costs.

Before I get busy writing up a draft for the grumpy post about how the new Autoshite is shit and how much better the old one was, when I save it will it still be there when Autoshite goes from Marina to Ital?

cortina to sierra surely?

Although generally pleased with this,

With regards to the money: rather than pay a couple of quid now...

I'd rather wait until the new forum is ten years old with a couple of failed MOTs under its belt

and then & only then, will I cough up 15p.