The dash at night

dollywobbler

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Corolla E90. Typically conservative yet modern. Odd choice of speedo though as it spins to only 3500 at 70mph.

Only problem is that Japanese people don't take us tall Europeans into account when designing dashboards, I don't think I've ever seen the top 1/4 of that image whilst driving...

12074350923_5b6f3ebbc6_b.jpg

I'll spare you all from another Focus dash, or the one from the Disco aka seemingly any other Rover from the mid-90s. I'm afraid here's another Mk2 BX dashboard shot though, but mine has more gauges than usual and the rare fitment of AC!

DSC_4802.jpg

Next one is the van…early shape VW LT35.

DSC_4791.jpg

And lastly the Stellar, which looks remarkably similar to that in an SD1!

DSC_4807.jpg

Sorry the photos aren't great, as the only digital camera I have is my phone and it took quite some faffing with the settings to get anything half decent - auto was no use at all.

I'm seeing the trend of less gauges on the newer stuff. Both the BX and Stellar there have four smaller ones. Does the BX have the same range as the Stellar? But regardless, more information is good right?

My ex's old Saxo only had a fuel gauge alongside the speedometer and rev counter which annoyed me - had a red light for temp but surely that's too late if it comes on. My Focus only has a pair - fuel and water temp which seems fairly standard now.

Interesting point. I guess most people don't know or care about what's under the bonnet - it's just an appliance to them. The temperature gauge on the Focus isn't driven directly by a sender, but if the ECU deems the temperature to be within an acceptable 'normal' range, it'll point the needle bang in the middle. No more use than a light as far as monitoring trends is concerned!

BX only had speedo, rev counter, fuel and oil level gauges when I got it. I added the water temperature, oil temperature and combined oil level/pressure gauge from a higher spec. one as more is always better! Stellar has similar but no oil level function, and a voltmeter instead of oil temperature.

Interesting point. I guess most people don't know or care about what's under the bonnet - it's just an appliance to them. The temperature gauge on the Focus isn't driven directly by a sender, but if the ECU deems the temperature to be within an acceptable 'normal' range, it'll point the needle bang in the middle. No more use than a light as far as monitoring trends is concerned!

BX only had speedo, rev counter, fuel and oil level gauges when I got it. I added the water temperature, oil temperature and combined oil level/pressure gauge from a higher spec. one as more is always better! Stellar has similar but no oil level function, and a voltmeter instead of oil temperature.

VWs do the same thing with the temp gauge, they are utterly pointless. A certain vintage of MX-5 has a fake oil pressure gauge which works on the same principle. If rumours are to be believed it was because customers were concerned by the real ones flicking about and rather than explain the vagaries of oil viscosity at various engine temperatures and RPM they just installed a glorified idiot light. 

The oil pressure gauge on my old XJR pretty much always sat at half way, because that's what it's meant to. Nothing much to do with oil pressure.

Oil pressure gauge in the Focus actually gives an indication as to the oil pressure. The needle moves!

What? My water temp guage is fake?!

I even know which bit of road it'll rise above the stop on. It's about 2 miles away, get onto the A50 and as I go up a hill it starts to rise above 60 (the lowest it reads). That means it was someone's job at Ford to program in how to make it rise convincingly if this fakery is to be believed.

I'm really not sure about this. I have noticed on cold days it sits at about 85, and on warmer days it's bang on 90 in the middle. 

My Audi 90Q had a proper oil pressure gauge which flickered around and read properly when cold.

What? My water temp guage is fake?

I was talking about the mk1, and the fact that yours has numbers marked on it would suggest otherwise. Which is reassuring if they have stopped dumbing things down for us! This website reckons that the ST170 had a proper gauge too, so maybe not a hard and fast rule.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140233