Bus Shite

Felly Magic

do the dennis tridents have different vents/louvres to the ovlov versions of similar- just something i wondered what with the amount nxwm have floating around here for eleventy years or so

Yes, different to accommodate the different setups. Volvos have the radiator and intercooler on the offside, Tridents have it on the nearside.

I can't remember seeing a bus on a low loader before does it happen often?

Depends on who the recovery firm are. A lot of modern motors can be easier to low-loader seeing as a lot of stuff is monocoque these days and suspended towing can cause structural issues especially when windows are missing.

Length is also a consideration.

First photo - 15m Volvo B12 on the back of a Karen Yuill loader with about 4m hanging off the trailer. Estimated rig length, 22m.

Second photo - 14.1m Van Hool TDX27 being towed by MTS's DAF boom lifter. Estimated rig length 28m. Lifted by the tyres 'cos there's no structure to fork on to with the boom.

I do have a video of a 14.7m Van Hool TDX29 on the back of a low loader in London being reversed down Elizabeth Bridge / Elizabeth Street and then turning in to Buckingham Palace Road. When I find it, I'll upload it.

post-5330-0-20520600-1486762957_thumb.jpg

post-5330-0-11815200-1486763159_thumb.jpg

Here it is.

About 20 - 30 mins after this video was taken the truck / bus hit a low bridge and spent about 3 months in Belgium for repairs.

I once had the pleasure* of dragging one of those mega Golds empty from London - Glasgow after it had broken and been repaired at West Ham. Naturally I did mischeif with the destination screen.

Broken Down Megabus Gold.mp4

post-5330-0-01531400-1486764408_thumb.jpg

Talking if recovery this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38918468 happened near me this week. Goodness knows how it happened, but thankfully none of the passengers were badly injured, even more so as I know some of the kids and their parents. Bus company are JD travel and apparently do lots of school contracts here.

Was recovered by 911 & 911 have the police contract so I guess it's going for examination or the bus company would have used their own breakdown contractor. Apparently 911 are very very expensive. They recovered one of my cars on behalf of AA.

Here it is.

About 20 - 30 mins after this video was taken the truck / bus hit a low bridge and spent about 3 months in Belgium for repairs.

I once had the pleasure* of dragging one of those mega Golds empty from London - Glasgow after it had broken and been repaired at West Ham. Naturally I did mischeif with the destination screen.

I am getting sound but not picture.

I have seen a fair number of buses being towed, some lifted but it is low loader moves that I have not seen.

Thanks, I have got that now how much does the bus weigh?

From memory, those are 21500KG unladen

How the fuck did the driver scone that off a bridge? It's not actually that tall. Although if one hasn't ascertained how tall one's load is before setting off through a city, one is asking for trouble.

The bus is 13'2" tall and I'd say another 3 feet for the front of the trailer.

Talking if recovery this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38918468 happened near me this week. Goodness knows how it happened, but thankfully none of the passengers were badly injured, even more so as I know some of the kids and their parents. Bus company are JD travel and apparently do lots of school contracts here.

Was recovered by 911 & 911 have the police contract so I guess it's going for examination or the bus company would have used their own breakdown contractor. Apparently 911 are very very expensive. They recovered one of my cars on behalf of AA.

How on earth did they manage that?

Takes effort to get a bus to run away & even then the brakes can normally hold it.

From memory, those are 21500KG unladen

The bus is 13'2" tall and I'd say another 3 feet for the front of the trailer.

16'2"...looks about right. I always think these things should be measured properly with the correct device, but the maths is simple enough and probably accurate.

So those aren't 4m? That's 13'1" iirc.

The article said the driver kept fiddling with the key as if he was trying to turn it off.

Makes me wonder if the engine had started to overrun on its own oil. Pure speculation of course, but if the turbo had failed and started allowing the engine to run on its own oil it'd be a bloody difficult thing to stop. The driver turning the ignition off might have been the first reaction to it happening.

• 3 weeks later...

I did wonder. I've never been entirely certain on late Panorama/early Supreme bodies, given how many variations there are.

I'll get some better pictures next time I'm there, the Ford is the one with restoration potential. I'd say the RELH and the Bedford are too far gone.

There's a few Tigers with Paramount I bodies, an early B10M/Jonckheere P599, some Scania K112s and Volvo B10Ms with Paramount III bodies, a few B10M/Premiers and a few other bits on site too. There was apparently a Quest VM/Paramount there at one point too, but it may have gone - I certainly didn't see any evidence of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

April 22nd 2017

This year marks 50 years of operationg of Northern Ireland's principal bus operator, Ulsterbus. This was marked at the annual running day hosted by the Irish Transport Heritage at the Ulster Folk and Transport museum, Cultra.

As has become tradition, delegates from The SVM as well as the greater Scotoshite were in attendance however seeing as it was Ulsterbus 50, Mr cms206 organised for one of his work's motors to attend seeing as it was new to Ulsterbus Goldliner duties.

A modest selection of photos from myself is at my Flickr album : https://flic.kr/s/aHskYsEAKF : and I will post a couple of samples below...

-Dave

33377111414_c3702d0f52.jpg

Ulsterbus 50 by David Fowler, on Flickr

34219078145_fb665a7e44.jpg

33408352803_2b4fe687cb.jpg

33408348583_06e304b04d.jpg

33408337743_5cce939471.jpg

33408336633_f5c932b42e.jpg

There can't be many Metroliners still working for a living but I stumbled across this one at Bicester Heritage doing duty as a racing car transporter

33839459440_1ba9de35a3_c.jpg

SWB Motorsport C50 VJU by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

33412716283_d83be206e2_c.jpg

SWB Motorsport C50 VJU by Adam Floyd, on Flickr