Jump to content

Bus Shite


Felly Magic

Recommended Posts

Posted

Time for a Sctch_Interlude.

Buses in my town when I was growing up were plentiful and the incumbent operator was Clydeside. I've tried to give a couple of mixes here; buses, backgrounds and tat.

2026-05-21_10-59-34.jpg

2026-05-21_10-58-49.jpg

2026-05-21_11-02-31.jpg

2026-05-21_11-02-19.jpg

2026-05-21_11-04-09.jpg

2026-05-21_11-05-48.jpg

2026-05-21_11-11-57.jpg

2026-05-21_11-11-21.jpg

2026-05-21_11-10-11.jpg

2026-05-21_11-09-42.jpg

2026-05-21_11-08-50.jpg

2026-05-21_11-07-57.jpg

2026-05-21_11-07-03.jpg

2026-05-21_11-06-38.jpg

2026-05-21_11-06-11.jpg

2026-05-21_11-06-05.jpg

2026-05-21_11-06-25.jpg

2026-05-21_11-03-59.jpg

Posted

The other major operator which was on my patch was Strathclyde's Buses; another couple of selections, again generally more aimed at backgrounds and tat than the buses.

2026-05-21_11-49-26.jpg

2026-05-21_11-48-29.jpg

2026-05-21_11-48-11.jpg

2026-05-21_11-47-22.jpg

2026-05-21_11-46-33.jpg

2026-05-21_11-45-51.jpg

2026-05-21_11-43-54.jpg

2026-05-21_11-43-25.jpg

2026-05-21_11-42-11.jpg

2026-05-21_11-41-27.jpg

2026-05-21_11-40-42.jpg

2026-05-21_11-40-11.jpg

2026-05-21_11-39-26.jpg

2026-05-21_11-38-43.jpg

2026-05-21_11-37-51.jpg

2026-05-21_11-37-15.jpg

2026-05-21_11-36-13.jpg

2026-05-21_11-35-33.jpg

2026-05-21_11-34-01.jpg

2026-05-21_11-33-38.jpg

2026-05-21_11-32-37.jpg

2026-05-21_11-32-12.jpg

2026-05-21_11-29-47.jpg

2026-05-21_11-29-39.jpg

Posted

Sadly haven't got the time to run all the background tat through the online tax checker, but just came here to remark how short lived that Tagora appears to have been. 

Screenshot_20260521-152147_SamsungInternet.jpg.0e03b6a5bd7191cef71da22959b0c4bc.jpg

Edit. Also never knew anybody had cut Ambulance doors into the back of a Metrorider.

  • Like 1
Posted

Cms206, Paisley and not a Grahams bus to be seen, or am I showing my age. 

  • Haha 2
Posted
3 hours ago, mk2_craig said:

Sadly haven't got the time to run all the background tat through the online tax checker, but just came here to remark how short lived that Tagora appears to have been. 

Screenshot_20260521-152147_SamsungInternet.jpg.0e03b6a5bd7191cef71da22959b0c4bc.jpg

Edit. Also never knew anybody had cut Ambulance doors into the back of a Metrorider.

Paisley had a quite sizeable Peugeot-Talbot dealer, which had been a Rootes dealer going way back; Goudies ended up selling Isuzu and Subaru from memory. They were on the corner of Maxwellton St and George St. Would assume it likely came from there.

 

Those Metroriders were factory built, to my knowledge the only ones MCW did; they all carried that dual purpose scheme. Think the batch was E307-316 YDS.

Posted
1 hour ago, colino said:

Cms206, Paisley and not a Grahams bus to be seen, or am I showing my age. 

Seeing as you asked nicely, old man... 

2026-05-21_06-59-35.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-15.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-10.jpg

2026-05-21_06-58-52.jpg

2026-05-21_06-58-40.jpg

2026-05-21_06-58-31.jpg

2026-05-21_06-58-18.jpg

2026-05-21_06-58-00.jpg

2026-05-21_06-57-56.jpg

2026-05-21_06-57-39.jpg

2026-05-21_06-57-12.jpg

2026-05-21_06-57-05.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-55.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-51.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-41.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-34.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-29.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-07.jpg

2026-05-21_06-56-03.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-46.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-41.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-30.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-26.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-10.jpg

2026-05-21_06-55-05.jpg

  • Like 9
Posted

Entirely unrelated to busses but this 1974 Volvo 145 on a 1976 R reg is an oddity.

Screenshot_20260521_192759_Chrome.jpg.b3ab641bb90045092fc003e61c047478.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
29 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Entirely unrelated to busses but this 1974 Volvo 145 on a 1976 R reg is an oddity.

Screenshot_20260521_192759_Chrome.jpg.b3ab641bb90045092fc003e61c047478.jpg

DVLA has it as year of manufacture - 1974. Strange. Could be an import and given a number plate of when it was imported?

Shows as ‘Volvo Unknown’ on MOT history site with date of registration as 31 December 1974.

Posted

Wasn’t an enormous window of opportunity to photograph this Stellar in action:

IMG_4601.png.dd68b45e475f5df61fc6bdbeb9df694d.png

IMG_4598.jpeg.a3cfc480b8f21069db92018e976819fe.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg.21f232caa8196987c0b934a2f41620ef.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg.b8ea1f97646e93dc943e0b27a874aaf2.jpeg

  • Like 2
Posted
43 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

DVLA has it as year of manufacture - 1974. Strange. Could be an import and given a number plate of when it was imported?

Shows as ‘Volvo Unknown’ on MOT history site with date of registration as 31 December 1974.

Almost certainly an import. Back then, the number plate was assigned to the year of import rather than build. A lot of cars were first registered overseas at British army bases and the like.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Posted (edited)

The local car dealers certainly didn’t stint on their bus advertising budgets - The Wylies Ford ones are particularly eye catching. 

The ropey looking yellow Cortina in a couple of the pics (ESG 261S) made it to September 89, according to the DVLA - pretty good going!

Scots question - what ‘D’ revives you?  (On the side of the Strathclyde Atlantean in the snow). I think I can make out Brooke Bond in smaller case letters, was it some Scottish blend of tea? 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 2
Posted
45 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Wasn’t an enormous window of opportunity to photograph this Stellar in action:

IMG_4601.png.dd68b45e475f5df61fc6bdbeb9df694d.png

IMG_4598.jpeg.a3cfc480b8f21069db92018e976819fe.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg.21f232caa8196987c0b934a2f41620ef.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg.b8ea1f97646e93dc943e0b27a874aaf2.jpeg

Photo was taken January 26th 1986; it's turning into County Square which at the time was a very large rank with it's own under-arches repair workshop.

Posted

David Blane, an early Hyundai dealer, was based about 100 feet from that pic.  Almost single handedly responsible for about half of Renfrewshires private hires becoming Korean Kortinas overnight. 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Scots question - what ‘D’ revives you?  (On the side of the Strathclyde Atlantean in the snow). I think I can make out Brooke Bond in smaller case letters, was it some Scottish blend of tea? 

It is indeed Brooke Bond, who were actually from Manchester; their factory at Trafford Park is now owned by Liptons, though from what I can tell depending on the market the brand is either owned by Lipton or Unilever.

Posted

One survivor that I do know of from this lot is this:Screenshot_20260521_222933_Gallery.jpg.b98bc71f33b94a08914f6dadba9a9644.jpg

Which is now resident in the Riverside Museum in Glasgow; if memory serves it was the first Metrocab licensed in Glasgow?

  • Like 2
Posted
3 hours ago, cms206 said:

... and for the sake of completeness... 

2026-05-21_06-54-28.jpg

2026-05-21_06-54-44.jpg

2026-05-21_06-54-49.jpg

2026-05-21_06-54-56.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-27.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-39.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-48.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-51.jpg

2026-05-21_06-59-56.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-06.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-18.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-25.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-29.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-32.jpg

2026-05-21_07-00-41.jpg

Complete? Or are there moar? Top shiting.

Posted
4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Complete? Or are there moar? Top shiting.

I've taken a handful from a these operators, but I can chuck in more.

Truth be told I'm not even half way through scanning, these are all ones that were done a while back.

Posted

Leyland National bendy bus! 

IMG_9630.jpeg.b27346ee0042d5d89d62c686ff42fd41.jpeg

Thanks for posting these @cms206 they’re fantastic👍

  • Agree 2
Posted
10 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

Leyland National bendy bus! 

IMG_9630.jpeg.b27346ee0042d5d89d62c686ff42fd41.jpeg

Thanks for posting these @cms206 they’re fantastic👍

Yup. There and back has to be Irish? 😀

  • Like 1
Posted

Interesting, I didn’t know there were any of those made of the UK market, always assumed they were an export only thing.

  • Agree 1
Posted
2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Interesting, I didn’t know there were any of those made of the UK market, always assumed they were an export only thing.

Was it Australia that bought them? Or trialled them.

Posted
2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Interesting, I didn’t know there were any of those made of the UK market, always assumed they were an export only thing.

Stagecoach had one with Hampshire Bus in Winchester for a little while. No idea what happened to it but it could easily have ended up in Glasgow being Stagecoach so it could be the same one. 

Posted

The original UK trials for them were with South Yorkshire PTE I think? Seem to recall Sheffield was the first home.

Posted
1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Was it Australia that bought them? Or trialled them.

That was the MAN artics that South Yorkshire trialled alongside these Leylands. They were sold on to Midland Red North and from there for export to Australia around 1987.

  • Like 2
Posted

Look at this superb Duple-bodied AEC Reliance I've just seen on its way to the AEC Rally at Newark.

XPK51T.jpg.b6bae567d75ee0cc49325fee1312ed8d.jpg

There was also a Routemaster (RM254) in front of it but that's less interesting and I've seen it before.

Note the fleetnumber RB51. What does the B stand for, I hear you ask? It's an example of London Country's illogical class codes: instead of the sensible RD for Reliance Duple or Reliance Dominant, they were RB for Reliance bodied in Blackpool. The Plaxton Supreme-bodied ones were RS, not Reliance Supreme but Reliance bodied in Scarborough. Later coaches didn't continue this silly pattern and instead used D for Duple and P for Plaxton so the Leyland Tigers were TD and TP, not TB and TS.

  • Like 6
Posted

I still reckon that the Dominant II is one of the best looking coaches of it's era.  Bloody lot of stainless to polish though!

Yes, I've drawn the short straw.  That strip under the windows goes on for bloody ever!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...