Jump to content

Bus Shite


Felly Magic

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 13/09/2026 at 20:38, D.E said:

Soest, today:

DSC_0131.JPG.5b8b6c9d3c38b5fa1f191363fbeba8e3.JPG

Lovely Den Outsten Leyland Worldmaster, innit! I am carrying a Leyland Zoo Pusscat around with me at the moment.

Popular with bus enthusiasts where I work. 😎

  • Like 1
Posted

Sat in the sun just now on my meal break at the garage on the M65…hmm, that sounds interesting pulling in along side me!!

IMG_3196.jpeg.5cf14a19d7989d34548e5ab551dbf196.jpeg

Posted
45 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Sat in the sun just now on my meal break at the garage on the M65…hmm, that sounds interesting pulling in along side me!!

 

Fine machine.  I remember seeing these on family holidays in the '70s.  Thanks for sharing.  

How they can afford to get diesel at a motorway services, I have no idea!

Posted
1 hour ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Sat in the sun just now on my meal break at the garage on the M65…hmm, that sounds interesting pulling in along side me!!

IMG_3196.jpeg.5cf14a19d7989d34548e5ab551dbf196.jpeg

A bus whose destination blinds moved positions more than once.

As built

Screenshot_20260923_180702.png.3065f279c2372ba722c1d20f2328b63e.png

 

It was then decided by Fylde that the destination couldn't be seen very well by intending passengers. So they moved it up a bit.

51245318303_c13a64800a_b.jpg.726418274f1717831d17d87794790d0c.jpg

 

ATD was a very long-lasting bus, having lasted the entire existence of Fylde Borough Transport (the only bus to do so). When Fylde was taken over by Blackpool, ATD was kept in service. Drivers soon started complaining about the difficulty in changing the high-set destination. So Blackpool moved it back down again.

52509353305_efb3b91731_b.jpg.56357fbfbb27310ff4a0f30de8dc4216.jpg

It lasted in service until 1996 when it was sold stright into preservation. A few years ago, it was thoroughly rebuilt and restored, and you guessed it, the destination display moved once again.

53731146452_eb78bfa6bb_b.jpg.eac7c5dc41316ab21137f1fe9ae4dd68.jpg

Posted

Celebration of 25 years of SADTHT (Southampton and District Transport Heritage Trust, I didn't come up with the name ok) and here's a fine line up in the sun

image.png.fa3154cea8c05b57ab8dfc55ce24b395.png

  • Like 4
Posted

Traveling home from the pub last night a passenger asked the driver what he new about the four traffic inspectors and thirteen drivers who where sacked from Walsall garage last week. I'm down the bus station later today I'll ask if there's any of the drivers who where working there when I was know.

Posted
On 08/09/2026 at 19:10, FakeConcern said:

I recently bought a Spot On toy Routemaster bus that has been hand re painted and I've been thinking I could restore it in the East Kent livery I remember from my childhood in Herne Bay in 1960s until 1971.

This is it

IMG_5916.JPG.99260244707f4c684c6d4ff489ff8a3f.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG.eb835d19185c400b0a8e27faea7f60da.JPG

Does anyone know if East Kent actually used these as an image search hasn't told me the answer?

Just to give an idea of scale (1/42), here it is next to some cars

IMG_5944.JPG.5ca568831f0afa84cb3a0cf8174026d0.JPG

Anyway if anyone knows about East Kent in the 1960s, I'd be interested.

I vaguely remember going on East Kent buses when staying at Camber Sands in the 60s. I thought they were a dark red / maroon sort of colour. Don’t remember any Routemasters either. That colour scheme is closer to the adjacent Maidstone and District although the green would have been much darker. 

  • Like 1
Posted

images(22).jpeg.1370e69420c5e62cc306264c8e91c381.jpeg

Going back to the National Express white livery, I'm don't think the above was an improvement on this :-images(21).jpeg.363d49a613e72471f70b4db8518118cf.jpeg

  • Like 1
Posted
21 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I vaguely remember going on East Kent buses when staying at Camber Sands in the 60s. I thought they were a dark red / maroon sort of colour. Don’t remember any Routemasters either. That colour scheme is closer to the adjacent Maidstone and District although the green would have been much darker. 

You're quite right about the livery and as regards whether they (East Kent) used Routemasters at the time a bus was just a bus to me. From a bit of a look on google it does seem as if they didn't. I still may paint the Spot on in that scheme!

Posted
On 08/09/2026 at 19:10, FakeConcern said:

I recently bought a Spot On toy Routemaster bus that has been hand re painted and I've been thinking I could restore it in the East Kent livery I remember from my childhood in Herne Bay in 1960s until 1971.

This is it

IMG_5916.JPG.99260244707f4c684c6d4ff489ff8a3f.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG.eb835d19185c400b0a8e27faea7f60da.JPG

Does anyone know if East Kent actually used these as an image search hasn't told me the answer?

Just to give an idea of scale (1/42), here it is next to some cars

IMG_5944.JPG.5ca568831f0afa84cb3a0cf8174026d0.JPG

Anyway if anyone knows about East Kent in the 1960s, I'd be interested.

The closest livery I can think of that a Routemaster carried was this Mansfield and District one. 

50925197753_cb51b8c5df.jpg.b49968d5030ee1c478b03a433f970c2f.jpg

Mansfield and District was a subsidiary of East Midlands which was itself a part of the Stagecoach empire. 

 

  • Like 2
Posted
23 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The closest livery I can think of that a Routemaster carried was this Mansfield and District one. 

Maybe not a RM, but the Southdown livery is a contender:

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_0527-scaled.jpg

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Maybe not a RM, but the Southdown livery is a contender:

https://www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_0527-scaled.jpg

Yes I thought of that, but as you say, no RMs. But it would make the hand painted Pier destination blinds appropriate as there must be at least half a dozen of them in Southdown territory. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Yoss said:

Yes I thought of that, but as you say, no RMs. But it would make the hand painted Pier destination blinds appropriate as there must be at least half a dozen of them in Southdown territory. 

Maybe the model's previous owner didn't care about such details as the exact model. Their paint job wasn't the best either.

Posted

Spotted this beautiful beast on a Goodwood Revival video and was wondering what it is, can anyone help please?

image.png.40fb3d0bbcd92d855d6405c052038c4b.png

Posted

From the badge and a bit of googling it looks like its a Swiss built Saurer from the fifties.

 

image.png.58180324bbf5bcfc0668575d2c31c534.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted
13 hours ago, Pieman said:

Spotted this beautiful beast on a Goodwood Revival video and was wondering what it is, can anyone help please?

 

11 minutes ago, Volksy said:

From the badge and a bit of googling it looks like its a Swiss built Saurer from the fifties.

Note it's right hand drive. Many Swiss buses and lorries (and also many Italian buses and lorries) were RHD to help with safer negotiation of alpine roads. RHD allows the driver to see around sharp bends clearer and to gauge how close they are to the precipitous drop on their right.

Posted
On 01/10/2026 at 20:31, 500tops said:

Bristol VR on a farm near Liskeard 

IMG_20260927_094639840_HDR.jpg

IMG_20260927_094653128_MFNR_HDR.jpg

IMG_20260927_094703471_HDR.jpg

IMG_20260927_094736341_MFNR_HDR.jpg

IMG_20260927_094823238_HDR.jpg

xhk228x5.jpg.ae423de676db7e26505efa401733d5da.jpg

That's it new.

  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...