Bedford CF 1971

maximalist

Much want from this side of the screen.

I have been emailing a chap about a similar van but with slidey doors, I tried to call him but he didn't understand a word I was saying.

Some of the later CF ambulances had Holden lumps if I recall.   My 2.3 was hideously over-bodied and under-geared but was a fine camper.   I still miss it.

Mine was only the 1.6 slant 4, but was a very capable vehicle.  The tail-down stance in the photo is not from overloading, at least not by me; it's just worn suspension.  As it was, it was a great thing for hooning around town.  Low weight (it's just a big empty box) and wide track meant it actually cornered quite well, and had some handy acceleration, at least at town speeds.  It was also several hundred percent more comfortable than the contemporary Transit, despite inferior seats.

• Like 2

CF's were part of anyone's 1970's, shame they've mostly gone now.

The last one I saw regularly was in the late 90's - it was always being towed on a rigid bar by a much newer Transit, turns out it belonged to a builder who used it as a trailer when it died/failed it's MoT. Not sure how legal this is/was but saw it most mornings on the A20.

BTW - like the R4 but what's the bike? I can't ID it. Is it something east european? MZ?

Love CF's. Their styling was much better than trannies. A bit more transatlantic looking. I suppose that is why so many people done some good and not so good custom jobs on them.

The dash on that is just ace. That to me would be a selling point!

I think in the 70' s or 80's some ambulance services here used them with the added feature of rear wheels coming off when hooned round corners, or did I just imagine that.

Good luck