So long 😞 Forum LCBL Star '05 Audi A8 D3 3.0TDi

Split_Pin

Took the front off tonight. The bumper is in very bad shape. All of the upper fixings are broken in some way.

20240502_185919.jpg.2ffa97795e2400889b02bf38d4dcafc1.jpg

Anyway, the radiator is completely fucked so I measured it up, ordered a new ine from Autodoc and I will hope!

I have no idea however how you are supposed to access the metal band (just visible)  that clamps the bottom hose to the radiator to be able to cut it off.

20240502_190111.jpg.78e95f7b7ac038c5bbbb77a02561b843.jpg

This car is sounding more time waiting for parts then me actually driving it just now 😞

Is there a service position that slides the whole radiator support forward a little?

• Like 3

Is there a service position that slides the whole radiator support forward a little?
This. "All" audis have it as a result of their mantra of putting the engine in front the axle. Actually can add a lot of room.
  • Like 2

This car is sounding more time waiting for parts then me actually driving it just now

Sounds terrible. How much?

17 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Yes I completely forgot about that! That should given me the room I need.

I'll see it right first
I'm sure you will. I said in jest of course. I'm hemorrhaging all my interesting cars in a bid to cure my car addiction.

2nd hand radiator came tonight so I made a start on this. Took tje condenser off and the existing radiator is absolutely covered all down the nearside in emulsified coolant so it's been leaking for a long time.

Got the crash bar off  and I could almost tilt the radiator far enough forward to get my hand down to undo the quick release pin that holds the bottom hose to the radiator but not quite.

I tried to get the front off, even had the right Audi spline bits for the 8 screws at the front of the chassis legs but it still wouldn't budge. I then realised there were 2 each side underneath but an Allen fitment. The front 2 came off OK, FT though  but my stupid fat 1/2 inch Allen bits were just a bit too big to access the back 2 as they're hidden inside an aperture of some sort. They went in just enough to fool me though, guess who rounded one off.... fuck!

Packed up for the night, will need to see how you extract rounded Allen screws. They are big 8mm fuckers though and REALLY, REALLY tight. 

Fuck this car 😂

Hammer the sockets in before trying to undo. Also push hard on the back of the ratchet while turning. This usually gives a bit extra friction on the fastener while making sure it has all the socket on the fastener face. So helps reduce the risk of rounding a fastener.

It's actually the shoulder of the socket which is fouling the edges of the aperture, stopping the bit slotting all the way into the Allen head. I've ordered some long impact Allen bits and will give it another try before resorting to extractors and so on. 

I should probably have given this to a garage but I've already spent over £300 on parts for this car and need to keep costs sensible. 

I sold the TT because I wasn't using it but, relatively speaking I think I've actually driven this car less 😅

Man that sucks to hear. That leak must have been incredibly slow considering the coolant level never really seemed to drop. Despite it being a pita Im sure it'll be worth it once all back together, the car has done many thousands of trouble free miles in the last few years.

(car then proceeds to blow up)

Yeah it's a weird one because as soon as I identified the leak a few days ago, it stopped 😂 

Maybe pointing at it will stop it misbehaving!

9 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Yeah it's a weird one because as soon as I identified the leak a few days ago, it stopped 😂 

Maybe pointing at it will stop it misbehaving!

It *just wanted the bumper to come off* so you could take a closer look 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you squeeze an impact driver in there? A good few whacks with a hammer will loosen it off.

39 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Can you squeeze an impact driver in there? A good few whacks with a hammer will loosen it off.

It's the actual allen socket that's too big so I have these bad boys coming today:

US PRO INDUSTRIAL 8pc 1/2" Impact Hex Bit Socket Set Impact Allen Keys H5 To H19 1378 https://amzn.eu/d/i5BIdpA

The car is on ramps so plenty room to get my BFO impact gun under which I fully intend to do this avo 😬

• Like 2

So we are now here:

20240509_195601.jpg.252fce44558472fa3264709e243941d5.jpg

My hex bits arrived and the Allen bolt came out and got fucked off over the back fence onto the embankment. Unfortunately it is fuck all to do with holding the front of the car on...and despite me undoing every bolt from here to feckin' Kingdom come, the front would not budge. Arses!

So I had to pull the fan assembly forward just enough to access both upper and lower coolant pipes.

Old rad finally out, defo fuqquered.

20240509_204845.jpg.a55cd1fc973d14f16a1ce18324bf0555.jpg

New radiator fits spot on. Unfortunately I could not get the lower coolant plastic pipe fitting to go back on as the radiator needed to be at an angle forwards so I could get my arm in.

So I had to take the lower coolant pipe out.

Do not use water pump pliers:

20240509_203923.jpg.a2228f285909b19525f8ae62b81fed9a.jpg

I am a cack handed walloper. Its not split right through but I'm not happy with it. If it goes I'll have to go through the same ordeal again.  Thankfully the same breaker I got the rad off had the pipe for £11.99 free post, arrives Sat or Monday.

My hands are in ribbons as well. Too old for this like 😂

This does not bode well for my upcoming cambelt change...! 🤣

• Haha 2

Looking resplendent in the evening spring sunshine after a much needed wash 😎

20240517_195052.jpg.5981150270c65a248d30cc782a067879.jpg

This was by far the hardest radiator change I have had to do but now I know how it will be easier next time.

It was an absolute bastard to bleed and I'm convinced I nearly killed it in the process. But it's all back together, driving at a steady 86-88c according to the live data and fingers crossed, continent. It was lovely to drive it again, it really does go well.

I'll leave it a few weeks and then return the Autodoc radiator if my £30 2nd had one is OK. Actually, the original Behr radiator, 2nd hand but in good condition is probably a better bet than a cheaper brand new item anyway.  So although it was a lot of sweat and a fair bit of blood, for £62 including the fresh coolant and a used lower pipe to replace the one I ripped, that is a good-value fix.

I just need to tidy up the bumper at the OS corner. I might get my heat gun out to manipulate the fixing point and get it sitting flush. 

I did the radiator on our Seat Leon, which seems to have a similar VAG setup. The radiator was £40 or something new but it was an utter bastard of a job. The rad pack thing is all well and good but not if you have aircon you want to preserve in some way.

I had it so dismantled that when someone came into the garage they thought I'd crashed it and was replacing the front end. Never again.

When I was replacing the wings recently I found a screw driver I'd left  in there from about 4 years ago when I changed it.

• Like 3

Came out this morning to find some drips under the bumper, at the other side this time and underneath the bumper itself is wet. 

Not going through all that again. It needs a couple of suspension links/arms as well so I'm going to try and flog it on Marketplace while it still has a couple of months MOT. I think its time on AS as an LCBL Star is done as I would not risk selling it on here and give one of you guys more headaches.

• Split_Pin changed the title to *STILL LEAKING FML *Forum LCBL Star '05 Audi A8 D3 3.0TDi

I think it might be the top hose. I did notice some emulsified coolant there when I was taking it off. These are a hard plastic push fitting with a rubber O ring inside and a metal clasp to hold it on.

Took it out for a short run and it stank of coolant when I stepped outside the car anyway.

46 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I think it might be the top hose. I did notice some emulsified coolant there when I was taking it off. These are a hard plastic push fitting with a rubber O ring inside and a metal clasp to hold it on.

Took it out for a short run and it stank of coolant when I stepped outside the car anyway.

As Schaeft said. It's never nice when the car keeps kicking you in the cods but the amount of work you've put in it'd be a shame not to win.

Best of luck, sure you'll get it.