Basically nicked the design mate

Stinkwheel

We all know about badge engineered models, think bubble fiesta and mazda 131 etc, we also all know of earlier designs carrying on in production like the Dong Feng chinese citroen ZX's but can we think of many cars that bear a seriously striking resemblance but werent  anything to do with the original design (allegedly)

I'll start us off, I give you the skoda favorit that, to my eyes must be a kind of rip off of the Citroen Visa basic outline

Exhibit A

image.thumb.png.f06f1aa5b1c8d8fbd9238737224c501d.png

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

I'll start us off, I give you the skoda favorit that, to my eyes must be a kind of rip off of the Citroen Visa basic outline

Yes but that basic outline goes back to the Farina Austin A40 and then the 1100, which inspired the Peugeot 104.  See also Talbot Horizon.

6 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Yes but that basic outline goes back to the Farina Austin A40 and then the 1100, which inspired the Peugeot 104.

to illustrate your point,

image.thumb.png.461142d16aa472019581d637528a3921.png

Agree the 104 and Farina A40 are similar in many ways, dont see much kept over to the Visa/Favorit here though personally

(despite the fact the 104 floorpan and mechanicals are exactly the same as the visa 

11 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Don't forget this:

image.png.e78cad2572167885841ad1a1fb12597d.png

No.

You’ve just got to look at the door shape 

IMG_7459.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tayne said:

No.

You’ve just got to look at the door shape 

IMG_7459.jpeg

Is that an ElCamino or  Ranchero?

Remember - a number of these cars and many others were styled by the same few industrial design consultancies - external to the various manufacturers; and where car companies designed models in-house, personell often moved between companies too.

For example the MkII Cortina was designed by Roy Haynes who then moved to British Leyland and used the same box-shape design language on the Maxi and Mini Clubman facelifts; and later Roy Axe who  moved from Chrysler Europe to BL etc etc.

Even when cars are not directly designed by external consultants - they may have been asked to provide ideas or prototypes that fed into the final design.

At the top of this page the Favorit was styled by Bertone - who also worked for Citroen off-and-on, so it's likely there are similarities in the Citroen range. The Citroen GS and BX are certainly Bertone influenced designs - the Visa picking up design queues from the GS.

Small world.

renault-19-jubilaeum-2.thumb.jpg.0cbab168f48628792080abeadfa21d9a.jpg

Renault 19

citxsara2_750_500_70.jpg.636ad892746fd1915aa0526f8adcc71d.jpg

Citroen Xsara.

This was the very start of my falling out of love with Citroen. The Xsara is a good car, but the styling is a copy of a car that came out earlier than the car the Xsara replaced, the ZX, which was better styled than the Xsara.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

What's the black car?

Isuzu Bellel. One of two from the lot not designed by Pininfarina.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

porsche-normal.jpg

il_fullxfull.4603326760_m52p.jpg

Close but no cigar surely? ( I’ll stop calling you Shirley) 

The upper image is Range Rover Monteverdi, an officially sanctioned 4 door conversion.

The lower image is the LR built 4 door which came out a year and a half later.

Note the rear wheel arch differences.

IMG_7462.jpeg

• Like 3