Waftiness part deux

Rocket88

57 minutes ago, stuboy said:

looks ace, what make are those wheels?

Look like Dunlop safety wheels. I had some on a Moke, they have a band inside around the wheel inside the tyres to stop the tyres coming off if they get a puncture. The tyre fitters didn’t like them. I think they look great on the Rover and the colour really suits it too. Very nice.

• Like 1

That's the first time I've ever seen Dunlop safety wheels not on a Mini, they look massive on the P6 for some reason even though I bet they're only like 14" or something.

14” is standard P6 wheel size. They have an odd stud pattern though, 5 x 127. Common Yank stud pattern, but not on this side of the pond, and usually 15” or bigger. I have seen one with Interceptor alloys, which looked quite smart

Oooh - automatic too - that is gorgeous. P6 is also about the only car pre-1980 ish that my wife lusts after and it has to be the 3.5 auto - jealous.
Wheels look more like the Avon Safety Wheel? I've only ever seen those in a 4 spoke design for Minis of that era but a 5 spoke for the P6s may have been a thing too.

1 hour ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Oooh - automatic too - that is gorgeous. P6 is also about the only car pre-1980 ish that my wife lusts after and it has to be the 3.5 auto - jealous.
Wheels look more like the Avon Safety Wheel? I've only ever seen those in a 4 spoke design for Minis of that era but a 5 spoke for the P6s may have been a thing too.

You are correct, I was wrong with Dunlop, my memory is not so great. It was 30+ years ago that I had the moke.

Here are some fitted to a Cortina:

image.thumb.jpeg.d536fd708b1c2b60bf2aac823f7815f5.jpeg

8 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Avoid manual 4 speed V8 P6s like the plague….. standard gearbox can’t really cope…

7 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

Avoid manual 4 speed V8 P6s like the plague…..

No more needs to be said.  In fact, avoid manual anything!

Jealous.

6 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

No more needs to be said.  In fact, avoid manual anything!

Jealous.

I'm all for autobox on P6 and pretty much any other waftiness  (like the current barge here).
Not so convinced about the 'fake' autos around in the modern and not-so-modern shite (in fact anything with a concentric, in bell housing, slave cylinder to be honest - so I guess a fair few manuals too)

Seriously contemplating going for standard steel wheels…… apparently those Avon wheels are a tyre fitters nightmare .

There are a few options in the aftermarket department…. SD1 wheels fit, as do some Chrysler 5 stud, but not much under 15” diameter 

Great looking car, made all the better by the Avon Safety Wheels, apart from Bristols, P6es are the only car I’ve seen these on in real life. Although I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of a MK1 Granada with them on.

P6 Rovers are well served with alternative rims , anything from P5b Ro-Styles, SD1 factory wheels and Met Police Minilites toJensen and Jeep Grand Cherokee wheels , most look good.