Why do we try and sell our old cars.

Vince70

Yesterday during my lunch break I thought I would put my lovely little Punto up for sale, as it sailed through its test last week advisory free and it’s it’s completely rust free and low mileage so I thought it wouldn’t be a problem selling such a nice little car.

Well I got a couple of time wasters as usual but I’m now getting some really random prices thrown at me now and some great texts such as a couple here below.

So I want to know what’s your best Facebook messages you’ve had when selling your car.

Heres the car in question as well.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/565081002067613/

On the really good texts I’ve been linking a £600 Punto to the would be buyers and the thing need’s welding and an engine plus an MOT and paint job and telling them this is the car for you lol

Then you get the other end of the scale when people want a full Fiat service history from day one and a full tank af fuel plus a 20 year warranty lol.

B41EC5E1-5303-46E7-8EBA-A749680DB55C.jpeg

9D18615D-8017-4C6A-A3BB-B2A088255885.jpeg

I don’t sell them, my policy is to scrap them when I’ve finished with them or I’ve bought something better to avoid this specific situation. There is a place I’ve dealt with for years and I ring them up and the come and take it away. 

Do like hearing the absolute roasters you get and the sob stories about why they’ve only got 34 pence to play with, I think the term is ‘make my problem yours’. My philosophy on it is if you’ve only got £500 to bid with then stay at home, it’s nobodies problem but your own. 

The car looks a beauty to be honest but I’d put the price up by a few hundred to take into account the amount of your professional time that dealing with morons that are looking for £500 cars will bring. 

34 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

Seriously mate? :angry: And you haven't even arranged to inspect the car yet. :rolleyes: Cheeky bugger.

"I'm left handed. Therefore I deserve £100 off the asking price." /sarky

Your only asking for £100 off for being left handed, that’s the best  offer I’ve had today to be honest lol

When I bought this little gem it was Pogweasel Red with a couple of weeks ticket on the old girl with a bad oil leak, but you could see it could be a  really nice car with couple of days work spent on it.

I think I’m going to use her for my station car next month,  but before I do , I have a team rally metallic centre console going in as the only thing it needs now is a new air vent so it can go all max power lol.

The underside is like new,  so I will also fill the sills with a mixture of engine and wax oil.

73D03095-8E39-4062-A07A-38DEB660191E.png

35ED1AEC-73EB-4ABF-891C-7BBFCBACBA10.jpeg

Bottom end of the market attracts people with no money to spend, who like to think they have a budget to work with, but don't, and want to look at your car to bring it down the budget in their own head, which in reality they don't have, because they have nothing. 

It's a lot of effort, for no reward, and if I worked properly in the trade, I'd have no part of it for that reason.. time spent selling a car to someone who can't afford to pay for a set of tyres for whatever heap they are using at the moment to get it through its next MOT, is money better spent on the spanners earning from someone who can afford to look after their car and values the skill and labour of a person who's actually any good at doing it properly.

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Quote SADSTORY  for a 50% discount. I particularly like the ones where they pitch you like they’re doing you some massive favour along the lines of ‘We are pleased to be able to offer you £1,478 for your 2016 Audi’. 

I’ve already had that one from a guy who’s got hooked up with Finance on a  5 year old Vauxhall ecotec and the chain has snapped.

To be honest he sounded like an okay bloke,  but he is now skint and still paying for the motor so he might pop round with £400 in his pocket lol.

25 minutes ago, Vince70 said:

I’ve already had that one from a guy who’s got hooked up with Finance on a  5 year old Vauxhall ecotec and the chain has snapped.

To be honest he sounded like an okay bloke,  but he is now skint and still paying for the motor so he might pop round with £400 in his pocket lol.

I mean that’s a terrible story but shit happens, that’s his worry and nobody elses.

I often think of Fleetwood Mac in these situations when they quoted ‘I don’t believe in miracles but ive a feeling it’s time to try’. There’s no way you are going to accept 50% of the asking price but in their fuzzy logic the idea is that they have this Jordan Belfort like ability to convince you to go along with it.

I've sold lots of cars and parts. Anything moronic is dealt with by a firm "no" which works fine.

I did have a traveller come all the way from Tralee once (about 65 miles away) to offer me €500 for a Vento I had up for €1100. It took an hour to get him up to €1050, which was the price I had to get anyway. But he wasn't pushy or overbearing in any way. So we did the deal and he got a tenner luck money back. I knew he had to buy it as his ride departed straight away after dropping him off and he wasn't going to walk home.

I wouldn't put a car on Marketplace though.

Most of the 'sob stories' will be from bandit traders who'll batter you down on price then have it up next day for £1995 CLASSIKINNIT.
I never use FB Market for anything apart from looking at the weird ads with scantily clad women adverting anything from beds to barbecues.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

@RetroShite I think your old thread might be gone but I know you have a few absolute belters on this topic.

I try and avoid selling cars outside of this forum and I only buy one from the open market if I get a good gut feel from a well written advert. 

I believe the thread you're thinking of was along the lines of "most stupid messages when flogging a shiter" or something like that and was created by someone else so is probably around somewhere.

Screenshot_20230312-110705.png

£795 is crazy cheap for something like that as it is. That doesn't buy you anything worth having more than a push bike to be honest, 

I'd put it up for £1500 to weed out those imbeciles and hope that a couple of serious enquiries come through and maybe expect to receive a genuine offer in the region of a grand

Or KGF classics it £2995 😂

I've never sold a car to the public - in fact I've only ever owned three cars, the first one got written off in a smash and the second one I sold to a friend's mother.  I'm starting to think I'll run my current Focus into the ground and then banger race it, maybe to raise money for charity.

I’m still getting the random messages from what look like would be murderers lol. 

The last message was from a young lady though,  who didn’t look like she was going to stab me, but she wants the car to have full service history, plus a handwritten account on Vellum, written in blood,  of the cars life, from the day it left the factory in Turin lol.

I told her I have only the last 5 years worth of history and it was serviced at 46000 and told her to download the app Vehicle Smart which will give her the MOT and mileage history.

So she’s checked up via Vehicle smart and she’s not a happy bunny because it doesn’t give her the full service history online lol.

On Facebook you can reduce the price  by a press of a button and I’m now wondering if it’s worth putting it down to £600,  just to see what fantastic offers I get sent my way lol.

I already have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 plus a Nintendo Wii lol.

Im thinking along the lines of a locked IPhone 6 16gb with a smashed screen lol.

Full service history on a twenty odd year old car... But has £600 to spend. All the hallmarks of someone completely out of their depth. I can picture it now, the dad will be round to pronounce it a death trap as it’s not fitted with Goodyears. I’d just write back and tell them to stay at home. 🤣

6 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Full service history on a twenty odd year old car... But has £600 to spend. All the hallmarks of someone completely out of their depth. I can picture it now, the dad will be round to pronounce it a death trap as it’s not fitted with Goodyears. I’d just write back and tell them to stay at home. 🤣

Thank for your advice Sierra man as it’s always spot on.

It’s actually got relatively new tyres but only Goodyears on the back lol.

Maybe I should let her have it half price lol.