Hummer is to go - are we sad?

martc

I loved the H1 Hummer which looked like it was a car designed for a purpose with styling as an afterthought.

No idea if this really was the case. It might have been badly styled and useless at its job, but I thought they looked cool. I would like to think they were proper hardcore. I mean there were designed for the army (even if it was the yanks).

Posted Image

The later ones looked proper gay. Why would you?

Hummers are complete utter total shit.The H1 was designed by a committee, the original brief was for a lightweight, heavily armed, V6 engined fast attack beach buggy style vehicle.The end result is an over-weight, over-wide piece of crap. It's so wide because it was "designed to run in the ruts made by large US army trucks". Shame they didn't give it the ground clearance to achieve that though.A Land Rover Defender costs less, carrys more cargo and/or people, uses less fuel, has a smaller footprint, is better off road and faster on road.The H1 and H2 are reskinned GM 4x4s, which weren't that good in the first place. Adding an ugly body with poor visibilty(that makes everyone think you are a total wanker) and charging more for the priviledge doesn't make them any better.

*Anorak mode* The original Hummer was designed as a military versions and the portal axles (like a Unimog's) gave it massive ground clearance and the ability to go anywhere. The H2 was a useless POS based on the Chevrolet Tahoe, and was slightly better off-road than a Morris Marina. */anorak mode*Good riddance to it, especially if that means there will never be another white stretched one ever built again :)

Not at all sad to see them go. Cant stand them. Or in particular, I hate the sort of knobs who drive them. You know the sort - so-called 'gangsta' types & Premiership footballers with diamond earings.

+1.Or some gaudy bright orange stretched limo full of gaudy bright orange skinned bints shouting out of the window after nine pints of Asti Spew-manti.

*Anorak mode* The original Hummer was designed as a military versions and the portal axles (like a Unimog's) gave it massive ground clearance and the ability to go anywhere. The H2 was a useless POS based on the Chevrolet Tahoe, and was slightly better off-road than a Morris Marina. */anorak mode*

What he said. When I used to work in South Kensington I saw a military Hummer parked on the street once. It was about a third bigger than a Range Rover in every direction and even with two wheels on the pavement it stuck out into traffic by a loooong way.

IIRC they were a rip off of sorts of this....

Posted Image

I am probably wrong though...... :?

Yes and no.

Initially, Lamborghini were courting the US military with the Cheetah, but the Yanks got cold feet and got GM do it, while the Lambo became the wonderfully bonkers LM002, which became a firm favourite with the Arabs.

The cooking versions used the Countach engine, but if you wanted more grunt you could spec it with an 8 litre marine version of the same engine. Back then Lamborghini did F1 offshore powerboat racing.

I think the LM002 still holds the record for having the biggest petrol tank ever fitted to what in the UK was classed as a car, at 76 gallons. :shock:

I'm not sure if they owned it or not, but when I went to see the band I'm listening to now, Aborym, there was a black Hummer H1 parked right next to the venue (Electorwerkz in London). It's the sort of thing I could imagine them having.I wont miss them, but I did like the look of the originals. Even if they were a big 'fail' they did look purposeful.

Not bothered in the slightest.Off you go Hummer, go and clatter into the dustbin of history. You were mad, you were shit, you were the chav council estate embodiment of everything that's wrong with American cars. You also crowded up Bauer Millet's forecourts and brought most of Deansgate to a standstill when your wanky stretched limo edition conked out near the train station. Your H2 got stuck up a slight incline in the snow. I got further in my Citroen and how I laughed.Yeah, fuck off.