Fuel tank

keef

Not much luck with my hunt for a petrol tank for my Landcrab so far, so I thought I'd try bolting something in the boot as a temp measure.Anyone know the size and shape of a 1965 beetle (fill up under bonnet) tank? I presume a Haynes (or similar manual) would have a diagram, if someone has one in their collection?Failing that is anyone reasonably local weighing in something with a smallish tank on that I could give them a few quid for?

Nor do most of the tanks in cars I resurrect.Right nowI have the Simca 1100 van's tank out - due shortly for a good steam clean & evaluate. Very holed & full of tar right now.If its pinholes-araldite or blue tack (-goes solid when in contact with petrol), if its a big hole fill it with water for a few weeks then weld it up-or get someone to do so for you.

If its pinholes-araldite or blue tack (-goes solid when in contact with petrol), if its a big hole fill it with water for a few weeks then weld it up-or get someone to do so for you.

Was going to try the latter, but thought I'd see if I could get a replacement first. There are plenty of Landcrabs out there; there must be one or two that have reasonable tanks. :)

I think Crab tanks are pretty rare, but as you say i'm sure they must come along from time to time when someone breaks one. Have you tried that BL transverse 'Les' feller in London? He had a few dead 'crabs in his yard, he might be able to sort you out.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mushroom_rac ... verse.html

Also did you ever get hold of JonCedric? I thnk he broke his 2200 not that long ago so he might be able to help you. Last time I spoke to him I mentioned you were looking for crab bits, he said he'd not heard from you though. And what happened about that Wolseley in the yard in Wrexham, has it got a tank on it?

Its rare for a tank to be completely beyond redemption, I would whip it out and see where its leaking from. if youre lucky and its just one or two pin holes you could even repair it with that 'Petro patch' shiatt, I have used that in the past and its a lot better than most repairs-in-a-bottle. It wont work if its leaking from one of the welded seams or somehting though.

I enjoy searching out bits for these old snotters, but i think you have to expect to travel a bit, to get em.

Have you tried that BL transverse 'Les' feller in London?

Last I heard he'd cleared his yard and given up. :(

Also did you ever get hold of JonCedric?

Yep have had one or two chats with him; thanks.

what happened about that Wolseley in the yard in Wrexham, has it got a tank on it?

Cavette and I have tried to get the yard to move it, so he can get access to it, but they don't seem to be interested. :(

I would whip it out and see where its leaking from.

It's a serious of holes along the bottom. I put half a gallon in and it came straight out onto the drive. :oops:

i think you have to expect to travel a bit, to get em.

Got a chap in Durham who has two. First tank was rotten, but maybe the other will be OK? In the meantime I'm just looking at my options. ;)

The tank on my Pony pickup leaked like a sieve when I got it. I filled it with water and flushed it out a few times, then cleaned it back with a wire cup brush on a grinder. It was full of littleholes all over the bottom and pretty much looked beyond redemption but I couldn't get another or one that would fit so I had to try and fix it. I must have welded about 60 holes up but it still leaked so I used some epoxy sealer inside it them gave the outside 2 coats of por-15 followed by 2 coats of por-15 tie coat primer then once that was hard I rubbed it down and gave it a few coats of black 2k. It's been spot on since and with all that paint on it, it's well protected from the elements now!

Posted Image

I think theyre probably just a one-man old boy type operation who CBA with the internet! Torsten has dealings with them quite often so he could probably confirm. I have spoken to BLT on the phon a few times and the guy is ridiculously helpful, his advice to me has deprived him of a couple of parts sales transactions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it could be repaired but I doubt you'll do it without welding or brazing new metal in as it looks pretty thin.

I'll hold on to it, in case I can't find a replacement, but I have my eye on a couple of possible cars.

Try this -you'll think I'm daft.Blue tack the holes-smear it right in/around, then swill a little petrol inside-then outside (across the bluetack) 1hr later. It'll go solid, & if you got it right over all the holes-fuel tight.If it works- (and the tank does look pretty thin) fill it with one of those glops, paint the exterior-then underseal it.It'll last a year.Alternately-if desperate-fill it with water- cut the majority of the top off-sit something else (smaller) inside & direct to the outlet. It'll 'do' short term, to get you mobile.