THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Spent Saturday searching breakers for 2nd hand panels for the Cat D A4 Avant Quattro my mate bought a couple of months back and accidently bought a Jag XJ6 & V6 Vectra.... unsold at auction so straight to the breakers, still have the auction stickers on them.

Pics to follow when we collect.

Thank god swmbo doesn't read this... :oops::lol:

Bought a Fiat Punto Cabrio on Friday - one owner from new, full main dealer service history - in the garage on Friday for a timing belt and major service.

Oof. My dear old ma had one of these. They manage to rust in different places from normal Puntos, fuel tank, brake lines etc. Plus don't break any of the interior plastics, a lot of them are specific to the Cabrios and are a bitch to get. Some dodgy Italian firm bought all the stock and charge a fortune for it.

Hope you have got a good-un though.

it's a one owner from new car, with full main dealer (they saw them coming) service history from new. There's no rust on it, but then again, there was no rust on the last Punto either. I know about the plastics - but again it's all good, and it had the half leather option too. Swapped the stereo it came with out for a nice Blaupunkt but now have to sort a way of having the stereo work on the steering wheel.

In for a service on Friday, with coolant and timing belt change too.

Guest Leonard Hatred

The cheapest oil change I completed on the 405 was something like £12.50. Lidl oil 5 litres of 15W/40 at £9.99 (NLA unfortunately) and a £2.50ish oil filter.

The Hi-Ace is now running and looking slightly more respectable. Even took it for a spin round the block.

Hiacetcut.jpg

Most of the cab paint was cut back by hand.

hiacetcut2.jpg

hiacedrive.jpg

I runs really sweetly, to say it's been up on bricks outside for the last two years. Have redone all the brakes, and the wheels are being sandblasted and stove enamelled. One will have to go back, as he guy doing it left all the balancing weights on... :roll:

In other news, the trusty Volvo racked up to 150k the other day, and last week saw it driving to London, Shrewsbury, Manchester, Todmorden, Sheffield and Wakefield. DIdn't miss a beat..

Volvo.jpg

It was at the eleventh hour.

The idea is to take the camper shell off, the roof is collapsing and the timbers down one side of the frame are all rotten. All the units and cupboards inside are knackered too.

The co-owner is busy converting her front garden into a parking space for it, so soon there should be some movement on this.

We're going to carefully take the shell off, with the view of possibly restoring the body. But to get the truck on the road, it's going to be far easier to get the chassis cab MOT'd than the whole thing.

Sadly the Newlanders, rare as they are, ain't worth buttons.

Hopefully the Renault Master camper, currently in the fleet also, will fulfil camping duties. When I get time to start on that one I have no idea!

I think I may have just bought a car....from 12,000 miles away! Await to hear back the verdict tomorrow.

Anyone fancy a nice Mk 1 MX5 in Mariner blue? Potentially the last car I need to sell in the UK.

Ooh!

More info please :)

Amazon news:

It's still broken. Several eBay bargains on rev counters and wheels however. SORN.

****** news:

It's not ready yet!

C4 news:

It still [mostly] works. Sort of.

Dear Diary,

Yesterday was a pure Jim Hunt of a day. Blew up a loaned LDV, went to hire a van, did a pretty comprehensive house move - 2 up in a block of modern flats, to four up in a tenement - with the suspiciously clean 86k mile 07-plate Transit then promptly wrote off a Peugeot 207 with it. Exchanged details, dropped van back at hire place, drove home and realised I'd locked the house keys in the hire van. A long and uncomfortable sleep was then had, in the driveway, in the car. Got keys back this morning, some accident forms, got home and realised I'd run out of fffking Ready Brek...

Yours sincerely,

Twat.

Crikey CMS. Hope our move is a little easier than that! Phase 1 of 'Move to Wales' commences shortly. BX is full of stuff, Mini will soon be loaded full of plants (!) and then we're on our way! Phase 2 to follow next week when I hire a big truck and the 2CV tags along, then one last trip of BX/CX, unless the big thing sells...

Abby has collected her Allegro... HURRAH!

She drove drove it for 20mins before it broke down... BOO!

She limped back to the seller... HURRAH!

The fuel tank has a hole in it... BOO!

The seller has put a replacement tank on for her... HURRAH!

He took it from his wifes car... BOO (for poor wifey)!

She hopes to be setting off for home shortly. I hope she doesn't hate me :roll:

BL FAIL for us too. Set off in convoy, BX and Mini on the 200 mile trek to the new house. Got all of about 30 miles before the Mini temp gauge started hovering around 100. Rather nervously, with a big cloth, I was able to remove the rad cap, proving that there was coolant there, and that it wasn't hot enough to be spewing out under pressure.

We swapped cars and I gingerly coaxed the Mini to Telford with the gauge still high, but absolutely no signs of overheating. It's getting a bit odd, because the Mini's not charging very well either. "Fan belt's knackered," I hear you cry. But it isn't, and the tension is good. Voltage fluctuations do affect the gauge though, so I think it may be lying. Mini wasn't too keen on starting this morning - so clearly is only just charging.

Mini is now at the new abode awaiting that rare moment where we have some time to look at it. BX is back here in the East after lapping up another 500 miles in two days. CX hasn't sold, so that and the 2CV need to take the trip to Wales soon. Also, the Westminster didn't sell at auction, despite what I thought was a tempting £2200 reserve. Now that is a problem, as I really don't want to drive that juicy beast to the land of the Dragon.

I had the Hillman's calipers apart today as the LH one had become prone to sticking on. Cleaned up the pistons and fitted the odd new seal. Hopefully all good now. I think the brake pads are the wrong ones though as early cars like mine had different ones to later cars. I have a new set of the earlier type but want to see whether the other work has made improvements first.

While under there I had a cursory look at the sill areas as the MOT is due in a few weeks. Nothing too drastic but I will have to break the welder out before then as previous MOT spec plate-over-rust repairs have gone bad on the forward inner sills. I'll be chopping that all out and doing it properly then...