Fast Frogshite

wuvvum

I've just got home from picking up this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bid on it on a bit of a whim a few weeks back, got outbid but then got a second chance offer last week. First impressions are that it's bloody quick - I haven't really given it the big 'un yet as it was dark, I don't really know the car yet and I wanted to be sure I got home in one piece, plus having stood for a few weeks the brakes bind on a bit if they're used too enthusiastically, but I did give it a couple of bursts in fourth and it picks up its skirts pretty well. I've got a dyno printout in with the paperwork showing 205.2 bhp at 5280rpm and 235 lb/ft at 3650rpm, so in a car weighing little more than a tonne it should make for zippy performance. It's got an adjustable bleed valve so boost can be cranked up if need be (the above dyno run was done at 14psi), plus a rather silly dump valve which makes the one on the Saab sound feeble.

Being a Renault it's also very comfortable. It's got a full leather interior, with nice squishy seats. It's also got a working trip computer, and the Renner electrical gremlins seem (from what I've found so far) to be confined to a non-working sunroof, a heater fan that only works flat out and a dodgy headlamp dip relay. The heater is also crap, but that's not really an electrical problem.

Overall it's not bad at all for a 21-year-old Renault, especially one which one would expect to have been pretty well thrashed. It supposedly had an engine rebuild 15K ago - there's no receipts to back this up but the engine certainly feels and sounds pretty good. MoT is very short (although it's taxed till end of Feb) and it'll probably need a bit of fettling, but fingers crossed nothing major. If it fails too badly I can always hoik the engine out and put it in the Espace... :D

I do like these, bet the troque steer will be bad though!.

One of the lads at work have one of these, I even have a funny feeling he might have two but I'm not sure, Looking on his facebook photos i can see his red one which is very nice but what about the blue one! :shock:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don’t think I’d be able to resist goading TDI rep man into a bit of traffic light grand prix action with that. Properly understated – like it :D Ian Nixon used to tweak a few at Europarts Motorsport, but the only ones I ever see these days are at Renault World Series events.

These are amazing cars, I love em. very quick, but amazingly civilised due to the longitudinal engine, none of this business of the engine trying to somersault itself out theough the bonnet when you gun it like you get with transverse set-ups. My 'fastest drive ever' was in one of these, an indicated 145 on the A19 in durham years ago. I caught up with two barries racing each other at about 100mph and flashed them out the way! Sheer joy.Most of these have been barried into oblivion by halfwits sadly.

The Turbos always did have that front end. It looks similar to the later facelift front, but it's actually slightly different. Might be cos the standard cars didn't really have a grille, so there wouldn't have been enough air flow to supply the various intercoolers and oil coolers that are scattered under the bonnet.

So does this mean the 604 is off then?

Hopefully it's not off completely, but I've had to postpone it for now - for reasons I won't go into here, it's not practical for me to have a non-runner laying around at the moment. Even assuming I managed to get the engine running pretty much straight away, the brakes are going to need a good strip and service after the length of time the car's been standing, and I'm not going to have much time to bugger around with cars in the immediate future - I've got to try and find time to do the front pads on the AX this weekend as one of them is down to the metal, but that'll be it for a while. Hopefully in the new year I'll be able to get a few things sorted and then I'll be able to take it on if it's still for sale.

21 Turbo is a fantastic car,i loved mine which was a pre-launch car on an E reg,but identical to yours..Tungsten with black leather,they are 175BHP standard but you can up the boost if you feel brave,they run 14psi stand but i was running 17 as i didn,t want to blow it up!!It was frightening and could easy get you intotrouble,nice to see it still looks mostly original,keep it that way...