It's cold and miserable outside, and I need a reliable daily..

DaveDorson

I was gonna say, I'm sure I've taken a car for test with broken/no rear screen before and no issues.

What about vans eh?

I think it'd be best if you had both door mirrors operational if the rear screen can't be seen through but I bet it's not taken into account provided you have 2 mirrors of some sort.

Remember that noise when it's turning right..

Annoyed by the fact the gear stick moves about and it clunks under hard take off I decided I'd do a bit of DaVestigation (TM). 

Prognosis, the dogbone engine/box mount is well past it.   They're less than £20 so I'll expect that in the post very soon.

Might get it into the workshop at the weekend and do some work on it.

Hoping to get a proper look over this at the weekend, after using it as a daily since Sunday, cos that's the right way isn't it?, you shake it down, then you check it over? :D

So far I've got the V5C back in my name, added it to my trade policy, set the RFL Direct Debit up, and not really done a lot else other than drive it and have a go at cleaning the scratches off the rear window and chuck a bit of pez in.

I've also ordered, calliper, as you'll remember one was sticking, but I think it's alright now so I'll pop it in the boot for now just so it's there if it gets a bit moody again.

Some Mintex Pads (discs were well within tolerance and aren't damaged)  and a dogleg gearbox mount/stabiliser arrived in the post yesterday, so that's the first thing to do I guess, then give it a damn good clean up with my valeting gear, and then get some decent pictures up in its full glory.

The belts look really good, the auxiliary belt looks brand new;  the alternator looks recent too. There's no history of them being done in the service file, there is a receipt for the cam belt being done at 40k or so, (currently 69/70k) but it's dated a while ago, so that probably wants doing.  I've not even looked to see if there's a cover I can get at to check the condition of the timing belt though, I suspect it's a mount off job the mount that side looks recent too, leading me to think there's a missing receipt in the file or it was done by the previous owner to my mate before sale.

Every drive of this thing is reminding me of how good cars of this era were.  The fact it's got sub 100k probably helps things a bit, as it's still nice and tight, aside from that odd noise you get when turning right or jamming the brakes on (I think that's the dogleg tbh). 

I think because so many manufacturers were building proper rally cars, BTTC cars etc, they just made them do the business, it really does drive bloody fantastic; sure there's a bit of scuttle shake, it's got the roof cut off, but it's still quite a stiff little thing, stays flat in the corners and it's nice and direct, without being bounce your teeth out rough on broken roads.

And I hate that, because I've got a Mondeo that owes me a lot more money, is quite broken at the moment, and needs significant financial outlay to get sorted properly, but this little thing is making me smile, a lot.

15 minutes ago, paulplom said:

When you enjoy driving it, it's half the battle.

the plan has always been to get it fully sorted and flog it on with some new MOT goodness and for hopefully a tidy bit on top for my trouble.

But I won't mind if I have to use it a while before it sells.

So folks,   how she looks after a bit of two bucket action.

Also did the brakes and swapped the dogbone mount over for one that isn't absolutely knackered.  I'm going to refurbish the old one too, it seems a huge shame to throw it out for the sake of rebushing it.

If anyone sees an ashtray for one of these on their travels let me know.  Thanks.

IMG_20200307_174414966.jpg

IMG_20200307_174811213.jpg

IMG_20200307_174359880.jpg

IMG_20200307_174756185.jpg

IMG_20200307_174437772.jpg

IMG_20200307_174425137.jpg

IMG_20200307_174553571.jpg

IMG_20200307_174538577.jpg

IMG_20200307_161208426.jpg

IMG_20200307_174349695.jpg