Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

The other big advantage of the up-the-jacksy probe is that you are adjusting the mixture OVERALL not trying to sort out imbalances caused by a worn engine.   Not that my Minor engine is worn, or anything.....

• Like 2

I am thinking about getting one of these to avoid fecking about when getting the fuel mixture right.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4125-Gastester-Digital/dp/B002XF1VW6

81MpOU7g9RL._SL1500_.jpg

Are they worth the money or are there cheaper or better alternatives?

not great imo...been messing myself latley 

got a snap on one from ebay for £50 seems to work ok , if you have £££ look a wideband kit theyre very accurate

dont think the gunson one is much better than having a sniff /look at the plugs...stinks of fuel yeah its rich kinda thing

in order to avoid telephone number repair bill

is there a bodge to fix the flexi at the back of a Focus 1.6 zetec ......

its a 3 way manifold which apparently makes it awkward !!!

Are roffles legal?  Just saw in the paper that a couple who tried to roffle their house were shut down by the authorities.  Not that I think they will be interested in us swapping bits of rammel at 5 quid a go just an interesting question.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/03/couple-forced-to-close-raffle-for-their-500000-north-yorkshire-home

Interesting question indeed.

I've had a poke around on the Gambling Commission website, and it seems we're on the right side of the law because:

1. a roffle on these pages would be classed as a 'private society lottery', since it's not advertised or open to the general public, and also has a fixed number of tickets available - and only registered members of the Autoshite forum (strictly speaking) may purchase a ticket
  2. no profits or commercial gains are made (so all proceeds are used to cover reasonable expenses and prizes - or, in our cases, a thumping great loss on the original purchase price is usually made)

So the numpties in shiny suits with watches the size of soup-plates who hang around airports trying to wheedle folks into buying tickets for an Aston Martin will need to be registered and whatnot with the Gambling Commission, since they're soliciting the public and seeking to turn a profit.

In practice, even someone raffling a cheap car on Facebook would be unlikely to attract the ire of Die Kommissars, but I can see how it might get murky with raffling a large house, since other issues such as Stamp Duty/ Capital Gains Tax etc may also apply...

^^^ All roffle participants win a sweaty arse crack and twenty seconds of dangerously raised bloodpressure and/or hyperventilation, followed by an overwhelming feeling of sweet, blessed relief (for 58 of the ticketholders, anyway).

So I think we're already well covered.

what model?  mk1 flexi are £35 on ebay with gaskets , not too bad to swap over 

If it’s blowing then no, if the braiding is coming apart I usually bind them up with some wire. Not a difficult job to do though, probably hours work tops, hardest bit usually is removing the O2 sensor with a 22mm, tight as fuck usually. Cheap fanimold is about £45 delivered. Ignore those kits to just replace the flex where you weld it on to the old manifold. Waste of time.

I think we should change the legal status of the roffle win.

Basically we should be buying a 1/59 th share and the roffle is only there to decide who gets to look after it first.

Does anyone know where I can get new gaskets for my indicators?

416af9a5e65805e42214a125e7192ad5.jpg

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for what material to use to remake them as I have no idea what the original ones are made of as they are so crispy and crumbly.

It is a mk1 .. The bottom of the flexi has parted from the pipe .... I did think of wiring it back together .. Or putting a piece of flexible pipe in ?

whole new mani is cheap ...if youre keeping the car it needs replacing 

MrsDC ended up in a massive snarl-up on the M2 out of Belfast this morning, caused by a 7-vehicle smash up ahead. Stationary for over an hour.

Of course, when the debris was cleared and the traffic started to move again... nada.

She'd knocked off the engine but inadvertently left the Yaris' headlights and driving lamps switched on, and so the battery had drained away to nowt.

Naturally, she was left to shove the car across onto the hard shoulder by herself, as no-one behind fancied offering any assistance.

Meanwhile, I was stuck in a critical meeting and wondering why the fuck she kept trying to phone me when she knew I couldn't speak, because I had a solicitor trying to eat me.

I now know why. Oh, how I do know.

So my question is... are those £50 Streetwize jump-starters from ECP any use to keep in the car, or just a total waste of time and money?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/winter-essentials/winter-safety/booster-packs/?550994070&0&cc5_824

Can't find any reviews, and they look a bit Mickey-Mouse to me - but she's keen (understandably).

Thoughts/experiences?

Some people on here have had those small jump packs with good results. No idea which ones they've owned mind.

I've seen a bloke trying to push a broken large van across three lanes of traffic before with idiots driving both sides of him & no one helping. I just blocked as much of the road as poss where he needed to go & gave a hand. Helping clear the way is the quickest way to get past after all.

I stopped and tried to block the road as there were horses loose ahead. Had fuckwits trying to squeeze passed on both sides whilst the horses were charging down the sodding road towards them :(

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for what material to use to remake them as I have no idea what the original ones are made of as they are so crispy and crumbly.

"Closed cell sponge rubber/neoprene"

Get a super-sharp scalpel and get cutting something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262845537587

I reckon you might find something similar local or on AliExpress.

• Like 1

I stopped and tried to block the road as there were horses loose ahead. Had fuckwits trying to squeeze passed on both sides whilst the horses were charging down the sodding road towards them :(

Morons will be morons.

• Like 2

I have one of these DBpower jump packs. It'll start my diesel Land Rover from a totally flat battery more than once on a charge, and is also useful for charging phones and so on. I'm pleased with it. I have heard less good things about the cheapo ones.

I've had two of those (left one in a hire car by accident) and they're brilliant.

Hopefully today we will not hear a story of one being used to rescue an MGF

I have one of these DBpower jump packs. It'll start my diesel Land Rover from a totally flat battery more than once on a charge, and is also useful for charging phones and so on. I'm pleased with it. I have heard less good things about the cheapo ones.

I have a Suaoki U28 - looks to be discontinued now. It’ll jump start my X5 and van over and over and over again on a single charge. Bit pricey but totally worth it.

This looks like the new model - and they’ve finally made a lipo jump starter designed for the leads to be attached all the time like the old lead acid ones!! https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Phone-Chargers/Suaoki-Starter-Intelligent-Compressor-Cigarette-U29-Air-Pump/B078SQQMFB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547108081&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=suaoki+2000a&psc=1

+1 on the DBPower jump packs - my 18000mah one will do multiple starts on a V8 Discovery or V12 Jag.

I also gave one to my South African friend Marius after he made Mrs Skizzer and me push start his Land Rover in the dark while being pursued by a lion.

• Like 10

Question: a colleague/friend has a 2004 Nissan X-Trail that she has just treated to a new exhaust. The garage (independent) now tells her it needs a heat shield, £140 fitted.

Leaving aside the fact that this would have been much better to know before they’d nailed on the new exhaust, are they right or are they taking the piss?

Question: a colleague/friend has a 2004 Nissan X-Trail that she has just treated to a new exhaust. The garage (independent) now tells her it needs a heat shield, £140 fitted.

Leaving aside the fact that this would have been much better to know before they’d nailed on the new exhaust, are they right or are they taking the piss?

Sounds like they're taking the piss.  You definitely spot that when it's on the ramp and that should have been in the quoted price.

Sadly, the garage trade gets its reputation for being shysters by doing this kind of thing.  Women are especially likely to be taken advantage of but I've had the "sorry sir but your car has dangerously low brakes" gambit before too