The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Massive kudos to you at sticking with this. 25 years ago, it would have been fairly standard stuff, but with current attitudes to welding vs value of the veee-hickle, most would shrug their shoulders and leave it to die slowly.

I can see that this little 1100 WILL live again!

Massive kudos to you at sticking with this. 25 years ago, it would have been fairly standard stuff, but with current attitudes to welding vs value of the veee-hickle, most would shrug their shoulders and leave it to die slowly.

I can see that this little 1100 WILL live again!

I won't deny that I will be glad when I get a bit closer to the finishing line with this now. I was thinking a lot about this earlier, when getting ready to start work on it.

Not sure I'll tackle a project this big again for a while. What I have come to accept is that this always will be a bit of a heap. For me to fully get everything A1 and in excellent condition would take far longer - longer than I would be prepared to put in. Its stuff like that front wing. I could cut it all back and fix that metal work, but that will add another couple of weekends at least onto the project. So I have to accept that it'll be krusted, painted and then fixed back into place.

If I want a historically accurate one that is in excellent condition, I'm much better off buying one like that from the start! Something that always get told to you when buying classic cars...

One thing it has done is make me appreciate how darn solid my MGB is.

Do you have reversing lights? I have an automatic switch here for you if you want to fit them.

Not suitable for models with direct rod gear change October 1972 onwards.

I think the spare bumper has reversing lights on it. I'll have to check! This is a remote change system - must have been just before the cut-off period. Potentially interested in it if it does - I'll need to make sure I put the wire in for it when I rebuild the loom.

Where does it fix to? I assume on the gear shifter mechanism?

No, on those remote change boxes have a reversing light switch at the top front nearside of the transmission casing.

post-19900-0-32762100-1547944123_thumb.jpg

http://home.mindspring.com/~dklawson/minipics/reverseswitch.jpg

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/157136-reverse-light-switch-for-remote-change-gearbox/

Switch is completely different to the rod one as well.

post-19900-0-44085900-1547944679_thumb.jpg

Always remember good enough is good enough.  The wings are welded on in several places, ostensibly along the top rail, the front panel, the braces (one of which you had to cut through), the A pillar and the bottom of the sill. You can go through and find all the spotwelds and drill them out, clean up and repair the flanges, buy a new pair of wings, and then argue with them until they fit before welding them back on.  Or you could do what you're planning to do which is much less stressful and much cheaper and will net much the same end result.

Sensible approach on the floor repair too, that's saved you loads of time and effort and should see it sound for a good long while to come.

Can I send you my doors to weld once you've moved in to your new workshop?

Doing a good job there though. It'll be worth it in the end. I tell myself that. It helps to occasionally sit in the car and make brrm-brrm noises and imagine driving it places, I find.

Maybe I'm just strange

Phil

It helps to occasionally sit in the car and make brrm-brrm noises and imagine driving it places, I find.

I might have done this.

(Bonus of no engine and hydrolastic suspension is that you get comedic 1950s movie bounce too)

When you are back in Blighty next seeing you parents, feel free to pass by and say hi. :)

Got on with the inner membrane today.

Chopped a length of 1 metre 1.2mm steel in half, then welded the ends together.

e47a33773928260ee6bb8c447ec2f7a4.jpg

465b90aa655168800d17e8f4abc9cd77.jpg

This is why I use my knackered, cheap old Homebase work bench - not my nice and shiny Black and Decker job. Not sure what I expected to happen really!

9df10ef1c611cb1c2aa26e4f5b2efcd7.jpg

I then married up the strip of steel against the old membrane and scribed up. Incidentally I wish I bought one of these mechanics crawlers years ago. Even just to lay on while welding or wheelie yourself along as you clamp up the metal, its 100 times better than directly on tarmac.

1e25dd2ecca12756f609d8b0541d2bc7.jpg

1be8170887a77251cdee2d22fc89c701.jpg

Looking along I realised that I really needed to cut more steel off. Trying to weld against this pitted metal will be a exercise in frustration.

a0c682390f51c1e607408c78934c3eef.jpg

I then had a spark of inspiration. Cort16 has mentioned before about using self tapper screws to hold the new and old metal together, then using an cutting disc to cut the two bits as a pair to get a nice matching piece. Except and jnstead of self tappers I just used more clamps.

Didn't end up too bad. Did require a bit of remedial work with a flap disc on some bits to get a decent edge but I'm quite happy how it lined up.

2a7b9f6b3185802c5963294b8e60827c.jpg

4ca74b245ae0311cf21ca57bcbe6432b.jpg

d4ca36a14c14b1ecf2628fcf91d49198.jpg

59846ad251636129a19cda5271b9717a.jpg

5cc910bc7e70bafa5aa0f8fdcd803789.jpg

Then I tacked it in.

046c6454cd3f0ec9d07e2c95a7b1a02e.jpg

I ground back the tacks holding the two halves in preparation of running a bead down later. Except this meant when the metal flopped about getting it into place, the thin tacks gave way and snapped. Usefully this actually was a bonus as two smaller bits is much easier to work with than one long bit.

Thus I then offered up the second bit.

650fe45645ca37c81d7684a735267f48.jpg

Tacked and welded right the way along.

ac242c874d10357d117384c15b509a19.jpg

f6603d66ec210eb592262e13b45b2416.jpg

Next up will be offering up the replacement sill and fettling to make that fit properly. Hopefully I'll get time during the evenings to start doing that, then ready to weld it on next weekend. Finally get the front wing back on that side too.

Once that is done, major bodywork may have to stop until the house move is done. There are a few holes about that I'll patch up as it's not removing noting majorly structural stuff by doing that. Apart from those patches, the only major metal work job is fixing up its rear subframe mounts. This will require the subframe taking off really. By doing that, it won't be easy to move and I really need to keep it able to go on a transporter or trailer.

It will at least allow me to get on sorting the engine again. That needs to be in a reasonably ready state to be moved. Ideally back in the car for the move as life will be a lot easier not having to move that big hunk of iron and steel.

Your doing a grand job. I have been watching this before I joined up. I had one of these but the estate in 1979 it was my new car phase it was 11 years old then and already quite rotten. It felt very modern though compared to my Somerset I had just taken to the knackers yard. Newest car I ever had.

Thanks. The real test of my work is going to be when the MOT tester gets their look in. Hopefully it will past his/hers muster. Of course I don't need an MOT, but it's a target and milestone for both the car and me.

Just checking the dates and it appears it now just over 7 months in on this project. Admittedly I started welding a bit late - 5 months ago tomorrow. I'm really hoping the rain due on Saturday doesn't materialise. It will be really useful if I can get that sill on this weekend.

I have also been looking at the back roads around where I'm hopefully moving to (trying not to get hopes up incase it all falls through) and there looks to be some excellent ones for pottering around on. I can't wait till this is done and it's summer time. The wife and I on a sunny Sunday morning buzzing along in the 1100 to a nearby farm shop or pub for a lunch.

Bliss!

I might have to watch out on the locals though.

949d9e50a2ca71d84c1cbc1649ab6e96.jpg

Busy day today.

Cleaned up the old welds from the old sill first.

ddae3610ed9aa29b395417b7efc7c564.jpg

It appears that some of it was a bit too crusty.

825759e68ef6a8f94687844705b5dbfe.jpg

Prepped up the replacement sill.

6432bb4d81d9b0e0ea06eb210fd8b860.jpg

Including drilling holes all the way along so I could puddleweld the bottom section on.

bafe63c8047c5b0d14cbbec2e643680d.jpg

At this point I appear to have forgotten to take any pictures on the steps in-between. Anyway I welded the top of the outer sill on, ground back. Cut some of the bottom new inner membrane. Clamped the bottom of the outer sill on. Puddlewelded. Then seam welded for good measure. Cut more of the inner membrane off. Finally ran the grinder on the bottom of the inner membrane and puddle welds to clean it off.

41013d6bec401c1985803f9f5158269f.jpg

7f0ae224d77b6e2c0fc95c9d0c5a8086.jpg

79d834e69b1889e13aeffaef1be8577e.jpg

Still need to get this end piece welded back on. The gas bottle is reading 0 bar but I'm hoping there will be enough to tack it on at least.

63ecddf4cbfac724ff7d646fa1695943.jpg

I'm at the point now that I think I'll have to hit pause on anymore bodywork. We're going through the process of moving house at the moment and everyone in the chain seems highly motivated. I don't want to jinx it as these things can unravel very quickly, but we could be moved quite soon. Number one priority will be to ensure that the car is on all four wheels to make moving it easier.

Apart from the end bit on the sill to finish, the rear arch on this side needs fixing, new rear arches obtained then weld on and then rear subframe mounts. Finally the sill closing panels once I'm ready to shut the sills away. After those bits are done, the big bits of bodywork will be all complete.

There is a few areas of little bits to do. Stuff like the drivers seat reinforcement on the floor - one side missing, other side noticeably crusty. Also little bits like this that need attention. Not needed for an MOT, but need sorting.

cce20c4b2ee3241130684b4634e18b1a.jpg

I guess I'm probably around 80% done on the bodywork now. After that, sort & fit engine, wiring, dash, brake pipes, fuel pipes, interior and paint. Still absolutely loads to do!

Right now I'm pooped. Did manage to get the sill fully on in a day. Otherside took a good weekend or two to complete I think.

its been very cool to watch how this has come along, welding is something id like to learn how to do/have a go at, at some point :)

I cant wait to see it hit the road :)

Welding is the easy bit. It's the metal cutting, shaping, fitting and grinding that is the tricky bits.

One thing that I wasn't prepared for and something that pictures can't fathom or show, is how physically exhausting this all is. I'm a reasonably fit and healthy 32 yr old, but after a day I am aching, sore and tired.

This isn't even that big or difficult a project! Everything is quite small, light and simple. Putting it into perspective, it's only half a foot wider and 2 feet longer than an Invacar. Yet it requires moving into awkward positions to get to stuff, hammering metal, using power tools that vibrate, moving sheet metal around and constant getting up+moving to get stuff or check stuff.

Admittedly I'm doing this outside on a Tarmac drive. Hopefully working inside a garage will make it a bit more pleasant. At least I can have a heater aimed at me and a comfy mat that won't get waterlogged.

I don't know how TripleRich and others can manage what they do daily for a job. For me tomorrow, I'll be just sat at my desk thinking, typing and resting ready for next time.

Welding is the easy bit. It's the metal cutting, shaping, fitting and grinding that is the tricky bits.

One thing that I wasn't prepared for and something that pictures can't fathom or show, is how physically exhausting this all is. I'm a reasonably fit and healthy 32 yr old, but after a day I am aching, sore and tired.

This isn't even that big or difficult a project! Everything is quite small, light and simple. Putting it into perspective, it's only half a foot wider and 2 feet longer than an Invacar. Yet it requires moving into awkward positions to get to stuff, hammering metal, using power tools that vibrate, moving sheet metal around and constant getting up+moving to get stuff or check stuff.

Admittedly I'm doing this outside on a Tarmac drive. Hopefully working inside a garage will make it a bit more pleasant. At least I can have a heater aimed at me and a comfy mat that won't get waterlogged.

I don't know how TripleRich and others can manage what they do daily for a job. For me tomorrow, I'll be just sat at my desk thinking, typing and resting ready for next time.

it looks big and difficult to me! id be well chuffed with myself if i could manage to stick together 2 bits of sheet metal together without setting the water table on fire  :mrgreen:

Especially with my bad back, im in no way planning on making welding a regular thing for me, but it is something id like to try one day just to see what its like (I have quite a bit of experience soldering so im quite curious to how it compares)

I just find it very cool/impressive how you managed to do such a job starting out with 0 experience welding :) (I also just enjoy a good restoration thread like yours :) )

Like Lightbulb says, it's impressive that you've gone from 0-Restoration in so short a period of time.  Once you're done with this one you'll either never want to weld another car ever again or find yourself accidentally buying stuff.  Trouble with learning how to weld is that a lot more bargainous cars suddenly become available and it can be very difficult to resist when it's something you really want.  One thing doing welding and bodywork has taught me is just how tough a job it is, I have no idea how people do it full time.  Welding is a lot like soldering, just with more chance of setting everything around you and yourself on fire.

It's amazing to see how quickly you've turned this car around, and motivational to see you just getting stuck in on it.  I suppose the only scary bit left to do now is the rear subframe mounts, everything else is fairly inconsequential edge bits.

Are you sure you haven't done this before??

If I had I think I would have bought something that required a bit less work!

Once you're done with this one you'll either never want to weld another car ever again or find yourself accidentally buying stuff.  Trouble with learning how to weld is that a lot more bargainous cars suddenly become available and it can be very difficult to resist when it's something you really want.  O

Or both...

^^ this. Just except something a bit simpler on the bodywork side. One thing about cars that need welding is that most people run a mile from them. Especially on newer stuff. However on the newer stuff it looks often far less work. I.e. just requiring a new outer sill buttwelded on as the inner membrane is fine.

It's amazing to see how quickly you've turned this car around, and motivational to see you just getting stuck in on it.  I suppose the only scary bit left to do now is the rear subframe mounts, everything else is fairly inconsequential edge bits.

I just try not to think too far ahead and just crack on doing small chunks otherwise I'll get paralysed on what to do next. Possibly moving house does focus the mind a bit too.

I think the rear subframe mount will pale in significance to having to redo the brakes. Oh my, there is a job I'm not looking forward to. Especially trying to route the brake pipe snakes

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot has happened recently. Yesterday I pushed it forwards and put the door back on. Probably will have to come off again so I can fix up this bit of the sill.

9d417da93da770221463b1615d03841c.jpg

I also sprayed water on the heater box air intake to check that it didn't leak into the cabin. Which wasn't as successful as I was hoping...

48c236eb8bd8e73b117ed2c2a4a71f5d.jpg

(Bits of black paint is from picking big chunks of enamel paint off the door)

I have also agreed to buy a bunch of panels that hopefully will make welding up the car a lot easier. A wing in good condition was available for a very reasonable price (nearside though, could really do with offside). Unfortunately my budget couldn't stretch to that this month. However I will hopefully have two rear arch repair panels and a heelboard for the rear subframe mount area coming. This should make repairing these areas way quicker and easier.

In other news, I've just had this lovely comment pop up on one of my YouTube videos about the crusty rear arch...

c079bdfbb88e7baffd0182b7434d5567.jpg

Oh well Bob.

That explains where your water is coming in!

Not a lot has happened recently. Yesterday I pushed it forwards and put the door back on. Probably will have to come off again so I can fix up this bit of the sill.
9d417da93da770221463b1615d03841c.jpg

I also sprayed water on the heater box air intake to check that it didn't leak into the cabin. Which wasn't as successful as I was hoping...
48c236eb8bd8e73b117ed2c2a4a71f5d.jpg
(Bits of black paint is from picking big chunks of enamel paint off the door)

I have also agreed to buy a bunch of panels that hopefully will make welding up the car a lot easier. A wing in good condition was available for a very reasonable price (nearside though, could really do with offside). Unfortunately my budget couldn't stretch to that this month. However I will hopefully have two rear arch repair panels and a heelboard for the rear subframe mount area coming. This should make repairing these areas way quicker and easier.

In other news, I've just had this lovely comment pop up on one of my YouTube videos about the crusty rear arch...
c079bdfbb88e7baffd0182b7434d5567.jpg

Oh well Bob.