The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Pretty sure they are from the same manufacturer as you mentioned in this post you made around 4 months ago:

Found a pic. This is what an offside one looked like, not much help unless you've got eagle-eyes, incredibly lucky and autojumbling.

attachicon.gifDSCI0011.JPG

IIRC the manufacturer even stickered them up wrong at the time with "Marina".

That's a really good score and it'll save you loads of hassle with the rear arches. Even if you don't use the subframe panel, it's brilliant for fixing the next rotten ADO16 you find.

FTFY

I'm really pleased I got these panels. That subframe panel wasn't even on the listing, he mentioned about it when I asked if he could do combined shipping. Pretty sure I have all the panels I need to finish off the metal work on this now.

Unless I do something stupid and start poking the nearside Wing Trumpets...

Not sure if I should cut out the back panels to fit those arches in or weld them over the top of the old arch? If I weld them over the top, I guess I will need to Tigerseal the inside to prevent moisture and dirt getting between the two? Also of course need filler to smooth the join mark of the two panels.

Not sure if I should cut out the back panels to fit those arches in or weld them over the top of the old arch?

Somebody did the latter to my car about 8-10 years ago, I'd not recommend it...

post-19482-0-51378500-1551312189_thumb.jpg

post-19482-0-66200100-1551311783_thumb.jpg

Granted they didn't weld it, preferring the even dodgier rivets technique but the main problems were the same. The inside of the panel was quite dirt free but evidently moisture had formed twixt the two panels in certain places (much higher up the wing than Dolomite arches usually rust) and once a bit of corrosion formed in the "usual places" on the repair panel it trapped mud between the two along the leading and trailing edge. Even with it being a tight fit it is now obvious the other side sits proud and bulges out be a fair margin. The amount of wob you'll get through trying to make it look half decent will make you wish you'd done it properly by the time you're done sanding...

With the practice you've now had, the kit you've got and the results you've had I'd definitely go for it and cut the arches out. Have you seen any of the Trev's Blog vids on youtube? Very informative. When I did the Justy panels and ZX 16v sill etc I set the replacement parts very slightly back from the original metal so that it could be ground back and a slight skim of filler could be used to take the dip out, maybe the way to go?

Did some stuff today. Not sure it really justifies a post.

In preparation for the move the I put the engine back together and uprighted.

2aae9503c90ad0170047d6126fa548bb.jpg

bcd82dae25f73a596e436a7b7dee3ce9.jpg

Attached engine crane again. Might as well gets my monies worth! To be fair it's far to heavy for me be able to lift it up at all.

71556a2d0b96e410de97dd3024cde76a.jpg

Off the stand and strapped to a sack trolley. Still heavy to move but at least it's got wheels again.

3229df87bdc285bf8956577f5499fc31.jpg

Next up was to check the hydrolastic. Not checked for a while and I need to make sure it's pumped up nice and high so it doesn't bottom out on the transporter.

70c042f870584f3c698cbcd3fe31e460.jpg

Pressure hadn't dropped on either side. This is good.

52ca2e0cdfb070ae0713844650ff0de6.jpg

I also took this opportunity to replace the offside valve that had a habit of leaking. It hadn't leaked since the last time I touched it. However since I've just fiddled with it I didn't trust it would stay that way.

3ec9121db46d34f30769ed2f2ecb4e0d.jpg

Just a case of keeping an eye on it now to make sure it stays dry and leak free.

Finally I got out the Rocker Cover that Anonymous User sent to me and gave it a good cleanup and polish.

ed7bc6452d73c4be10bdd41fbcaa0434.jpg

As per News 24 Thread I've also tested and wired in a 3.5mm jack on a SPARKOMATIC that Taxi Paul gave to me.

922a420c9e57ef5247cc632269a8b3da.jpg

[Video]

Looking forward to moving house so I can properly back get on with this.

I had some of those fitted to my Mk2 Polo and they did actually help direct the light better, especially in misty/foggy conditions.  Mk2 Polo headlights are rubbish, even rubbisher than the sealed beams the 1100 has.  It's period giffer tat, so go for it.  Get some door protectors with reflectors in while you're at it, to complete the set.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s very nice. Did we get the Countryman body in Wolseley spec back in Blighty? I don’t recall it.

All the nicer for not having attachments for scooping the insides out of stray pedestrians, if you ask me...but you rightly didn’t, and you car your way :-)

i believe they only came in Bostin & Maurice flavours

Correct, there are some VP, MG and Wolesley ones kicking around but these are all home grown. BMC missed a massive trick here as they look much better in none base flavor. 

You might think they make an amazing estate but in reality they don't! Due to the suspension you cant put anything heavy in the boot which renders it a bit useless. Still managed to get a washing machine in the back!

i believe they only came in Bostin & Maurice flavours

Correct, there are some VP, MG and Wolesley ones kicking around but these are all home grown. BMC missed a massive trick here as they look much better in none base flavor. 

You might think they make an amazing estate but in reality they don't! Due to the suspension you cant put anything heavy in the boot which renders it a bit useless. Still managed to get a washing machine in the back!

That said, most of the time stuff in the boot is bulky as opposed to massively heavy, would imagine great for dogs etc

• 3 weeks later...

With the house move being delayed significantly, it looks likely I'll get a chance to crack back on with this. The 2.5 weeks I had off between changing jobs that I was going to use for house moving, will be reused as getting on with this. Hopefully that will give me enough time to get the metalwork done on this. Weather permitting!

In other news I picked up some a second hand windscreen and rear glass at the weekend. My existing ones are heavily damaged from grinding dust and where the wipers have previously been run with knackered blades. Deep scratches are in the glass.

They're currently in storage in my Brother-in-laws garage. Only thing is there is no mention of triplex on them, so I guess they're not impact resistant.

6f0c33c9e03f4eecea02136a02832780.jpg

Big thanks goes out to Tigerfox on this forum and his friend for giving them to me FOC. Tigerfox put a request out if anyone knew of any transverse A-Series going cheap. Having seen an advert for a rotten MG 1100 on the 1100 club I forwarded it on. They kindly let me have the screens as a thank you for pointing them in the direction of the car.

Often adverts for vehicles that are "only good for scrap" can be a bit too willing to be cubing cars that actually don't need much work. I was a bit worried this maybe the case with this one.

However when I got the pictures through and later saw it in person, I didn't need to worry! If anything, it's fantastic that bits are getting reused off it at all.

332088ebf9046b36b4fc6a9e84be6c09.jpg

11caa7724b4cabcdb7fc319c6611f572.jpg

b142432daf699d8ca2a22f18bce62d2d.jpg

66420d9da845b03f5f89a3edfa802be9.jpg

f8f180dde7f13662bceeb475398f38ec.jpg

The engine apparently turns over smoothly and even the carb pistons move. However the rest is utterly buggered. Subframes are just rust flakes and even the suspension displacer tops have rusted through!

A bit of a shame really it's been left to get in this state. But also shows what happens to these ADO16 if left to the elements. Makes it even more remarkable that the one I have has survived this long without ending up looking like this!

Especially given the high owner count on it and not necessarily a cherished example that's kept in a dry warm garage!