The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

I don't think so. It's a hellish amount of money for a start, but the mountings do look different too. I also have a suspicion that it's a LHD beam pattern...

Pretty sure I've still got the carb from one of my old Skodas floating around somewhere. That's a Weber copy as well, and should be better about right I'd think.

I swapped it out because I was hunting a running issue that turned out to be nothing to do with the carb.

It's yours free of charge if you want it - and I can find it among the pile of bits of Invacar in that corner of the garage.

It's a Romanian-built copy of a Solex.

Are you sure? The reason I ask for clarification is that there appear to be two types fitted (according to the manuals).

Early cars: Solex 32 EISA

Later cars: CARFIL 32 IRM (a Romanian-built copy of the Weber 32 ICF)

Alternatively, fit a Weber 32 DIR from a Volvo 340.

Yes.

In other news, went for a pre-MOT.

DfeaBtXXUAAz6FF.jpg

There's an advisory for a leak from the gearbox (nearside driveshaft) and hilarity that the driveshafts are apparently held in with bent nails

I can here Alexander Meerkat yelling at Sergei, have you got those drive shafts in yet,........Yes, I've nailed it. Did the job though, 2500 miles without problem, bodge or pragmatic repair ?

What about swapping in some rectangular lights from a 12? Some sheet metal work yes but they have to be a little easier to locate than R17 items?

Have you any contacts in the Renault Owners club? Or even try AussieFrogs, a French car group in Australia although I would imagine they ain’t gonna sell you either R12 or R17 items for a few bucks....

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/parts-sale-wanted/

Fair enough, I was trying to come up with more accessible options. I suppose new ones from a Romanian supplier with beam adjusting stickers won’t be an acceptable long term solution from an MOT perspective.

Fair enough, I was trying to come up with more accessible options. I suppose new ones from a Romanian supplier with beam adjusting stickers won’t be an acceptable long term solution from an MOT perspective.

Beam adjusters are fine for the UK MOT.

The Turkish R12 was sold in RHD, I saw some in Northern Cyprus.

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that they will be the same size as the "sports" headlights my 107 originally had. Units made by Morette, the actual lamp housings were Hella.

post-21985-0-86447200-1529006438_thumb.jpg

I spent years trying to get replacement lenses for those after they got cracked, without success. Morette themselves were the only source I could find, but they wanted something like £150 each.

Seem to recall the same units having been used on Pug 306 and Citroen BX headlight setups, probably also sourced from Morette.

Shame as they provided vastly better light than the standard headlights.