Jim Bell

VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Interesting, what year did the PDs come in then? I’m looking at a A6 TDi and obviously id want to veg it.

At different times on different cars I guess. If Im reading wiki right A6s were using PDs (01/98-04/01). I may be reading wrong though.

VE stuff rocks.

My Golf in SDI flavour has the VE pump and the same block as the legendary ALH lumps but without the turbo, no DMF either. They're a very simple thing indeed with lots of space to work...

26583951637_2f0c3d4d49_b.jpg

Last year I spotted an (AQM) SDI Octavia go through Ebay with 514,000 miles clocked up that was described as still running well with MOT... Even with the stress of a turbo the VE engines regularly see 300k+, but without one and in SDI format they're virtually indestructible :shock:

From what Im reading on the internet the afn isnt obd mapable.

, its chip out only, which sounds a bit more frightening to be honest.

(Semi) Proffessional advice would be a good start though, could you pm me some contact info man?

Some are, depends on year. You can find out by looking at the ecu which lives in a box on the drivers side scuttle, or if you have or can borrow a VCDS it will give you the ecu part number when you connect to it.

The older 100-shape A6 is fine, only the very earliest newer shape A6 1.9s are veg friendly.

This Passat looks canny, dibs on roffle/resale.

The one I’m looking at is a 1999 model so I’m guessing too new.

VE stuff rocks.

My Golf in SDI flavour has the VE pump and the same block as the legendary ALH lumps but without the turbo, no DMF either. They're a very simple thing indeed with lots of space to work...

26583951637_2f0c3d4d49_b.jpg

Last year I spotted an (AQM) SDI Octavia go through Ebay with 514,000 miles clocked up that was described as still running well with MOT... Even with the stress of a turbo the VE engines regularly see 300k+, but without one and in SDI format they're virtually indestructible :shock:

Whilst that is impressive mileage, picloting a VAG SDI for 500k is going to be a chore of equal fun* to that of the person who babysits Pete Doherty in rehab, ensuring he stays clean, sensible and reflective.

WW - great to see that following putting it around on a massive scale, you've settled down a bit, and found a sensible keeper. Looks a gem, for sure.

Interesting, what year did the PDs come in then? I’m looking at a A6 TDi and obviously id want to veg it.

Quickest and easiest way to differentiate PD vs mechanical pump: PD has oil filler cap to flywheel end of camcover, the old 90/110 VE-pumped engines have them at the cambelt end.

The PDs are veg-able, just not as abuse-tolerant as what came before. If you're gonna run 70%+ veg then a fphe (£10-20 on ebay) and twin tank system will keep things sweet.

I managed to destroy an SDI engine at 118k.

Yikes... How?

Whilst that is impressive mileage, picloting a VAG SDI for 500k is going to be a chore of equal fun* to that of the person who babysits Pete Doherty in rehab, ensuring he stays clean, sensible and reflective.

Yes, fun factor= nil and 500k in one would be pretty grim, but think of the savings made <_<

Possibly, but it might be one of the last VE TDI ones. Run the reg through Total Car Check, it'll tell you the PS, 110 is what you want.

Yikes... How?

Yes, fun factor= nil and 500k in one would be pretty grim, but think of the savings made <_<

Years of neglect I think, I had been changing the oil in my Inca but the bottom end of the engine gave up. SDIs are fine if you're not in a hurry and one of the simplest modern engines you can find.

Possibly, but it might be one of the last VE TDI ones. Run the reg through Total Car Check, it'll tell you the PS, 110 is what you want.

It doesn’t really say anything.. (sorry for the thread hijack!) it’s a mysterious non runner so I may just give it a massive swerve anyway.

post-388-0-04794600-1527671476_thumb.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Broadsword
      Hot on the heels of last week’s collectioneering of a Xantia, another collection starts here and now. Well it is probably a collection as long as the car is as described, but I am optimistic.

Clues. It’s enormous yet quite cramped. Never had one before and it could be considered blessed, saintly even!
    • By barefoot
      Welcome to my new thread which combines my 944, XJ-8 and Vel Satis threads in one.

New stuff is on page 16 onwards...

-----------------------

Hopefully you'll all be saluting me whilst I strike a ridiculous pose.

I can haz Jaguar!

Many thanks to Chris for driving it down, I've only driven it three feet forward so far & when I switched it off the bloody thing locked me in, wouldn't start and absolutely nothing would work - in the blazing sun - the fair wife is impressed*
      Will have a new battery tomorrow - I can't stand that again - and it will be MOT'd either this week or next whenever my man with the big spanner can fit me in.
      I'll keep you all informed...
    • By KruJoe
      It's the green one.
      If you're proper horny for it then PM me, but anyone with cash can buy a car any time. Meh.
      Would roffle, but CBA with the admin.

Therefore, funtime!

Another KruJoe-spec 99p start AUCTION...

(GBP (Pounds Sterling) bids only, no licked Twixes (John_F, I'm talking to you), bid increments 50 pence or more, that's up to you. Auction ends 24 hours after the last bid. Other T&C's may apply if I haven't thought of them yet.)

It's a risk, but I'll take it.
      I've thought of a number as a reserve, roughly bridge price plus today's £50 MOT fee, so above that, I'm happy. If it doesn't work, we'll re-think, but his is will be a cheap car for one of you lot.

Central, so close to everyone on mainland UK.

Collection: most days/times are possible, evenings are good. Relaxed timescale, storage is not a problem here. I can bring you to it from Skipton bus or rail station.
      The Car.
      My dependable daily for two FTP-free years. Ex-JohnK and Bramz. 
      1.4 Rti run-out model, lots of toys. 
      Cheap tax and cla$$ic policy friendly (£140pa, Carole Nash. A.Flux quoted similar).
      Tested until 31 May 2020, advised on two back tyres.
      Not yet 62,000 on the dial. Likely to be SORN'd before June. V5 here, with loads of history.
      New oil and filter last week.
      Good batt, exhaust, brakes etc. There are a few minor niggles, I've just lived with it. Character, innit.
      Squishy-comfort velour in fine fettle. (Almost) everything works.
      The bodywork scrubs up well but there's some bits of rust if you really go looking. It doesn't stop it being a respectable motor… until… last week one of my favourite brothers rubbed a tractor down the side, damaging two doors and the mirror.

All still work fine, and I still have the (undamaged) plastic strip from the door. I don't have the arsedness to try improving it cosmetically and I'm ready for a change of daily anyway. The worst would likely push out from inside. As would the small bit on the arch – it's single skinned there. Until that happened, nobody has ever turned their nose up at it, and it has attracted a lot of positive conversation. 

99p anyone?
    • By dollywobbler
      I have acquired a vehicle. This is when I was trying to fix it so I could drive home.

The car was offered FOC to the Rover 800 Owners' Club. They weren't really in a position to take it on directly, so it ended up being pointed my way. It's an 820 base model - SU carburettor-fed 2-litre O-Series! BAe was the first owner, for eight weeks, then it was sold to the father of the chap I bought it off, who sadly passed away last year.

It has covered 105k, has a fair bit of rust in a few places, but is pretty tidy and looks bloody fantastic. It has a few weeks of MOT, delicious dealer plates, unexpected lumbar adjustment and electric front windows. One piece of wood on the dash, none on the doors, manual tilt/slide sunroof, spoiler!

It had barely moved since July last year, but sadly, I got a whiff of hot brakes on the M55. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and the nearside rear wheel was smoking. I limped at 30mph down the hard shoulder to the next junction, which was not fun. I then limped gently back to the vendor, where I stripped the brake, used entirely the wrong grease (as it was all he had) to try and improve things, considered this a success and drove 180 miles home.

I seem to have mostly taken photos of the rear.

There is a petrol station shot, but you'll have to wait. I developed a horrible migraine on the way back and had to stop for a while. Most unlike me. 

Eventually made it back.

It's all a bit complicated, but the idea is I have it for a bit and at some point, it'll end up back with the club. I think the plan is to sell it to raise some funds for charity longer term, but sadly, it could also do with a set of calipers and tyres, so finances need to be reconsidered I think. The brakes are SHITE. It could be air from boiling brake fluid, so I'll see if a bleed helps, but I reckon all the calipers are buggered.

• By chaseracer
      OK, let's try this again; the sensible hybrid is on the way.

Late-1995 'Inca' 3-door
      1.8 n/a
      90000 miles
      MOT 19.6.2019, but will have new ticket before moving on
      'Patinated' yet very solid; character dent in front wing; never welded, boot floor perfect
      Sunroof sealed, replacement provided
      Great fun on the twisties but good on big roads too; would drive this anywhere
      Tarty but comfy pleather CTi front seats (originals here too)
      Grips well in mud with a large SCTSH on the bonnet (SF16!)
      Previously polished by Outlaw Bob
      Colour-coded HubNut sticker for ultimate shite cred

Car in WS12; taxed to get you home

Shiters' price: £590
      or
      Roffle at £10 a go.