AS Communal MK4&5 Mondeo Thread

warren t claim

Just now, sierraman said:

Yes, get a fork type compressor and should be fine. Unusual for a spring to break on those as they’re fairly meaty. 

I agree, although it has been used for towing.

20 hours ago, warren t claim said:

I agree, although it has been used for towing.

If it's a seperate spring and shock then you should just need to get it up on axle stands, put a jack under the hub, undo the lower shock mount then release the jack slowly to release the spring. Remove fucked spring, fish out spring pads, put spring pads on new spring, fit to car, jack up hub, refit lower shock mount. 

Do both sides. 

Whilst it's a good design for handling, packaging, comfort etc, the seperate springs can be prone to bits of road shite getting stuck in the bottom coils, which grinds into the spring as it compresses and relaxes during use, scraping through the coating and giving a place for rust to start, then once weakened it's only a matter of time until they snap. 

On 02/09/2022 at 18:19, sierraman said:

Think I’ve had my money’s worth from that filter...

3A9EEFDF-85FF-4C8C-917A-6EF064211B4D.jpeg

Is that a Gates filter?

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Bren said:

I was going to give our mondeo's battery a charge - unfortunately the negative terminal is under the bulkhead. Not taking the battery off in these temperatures.

Is it actually flat? They do sometimes bring the red battery light on in short journeys/cold weather. There is a ground on the passenger side strut top to hook the neg into. Are you ready for the Mk4 Mondeo winter experience of frozen locks and steamed up windows?! 🤣

11 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Is it actually flat? They do sometimes bring the red battery light on in short journeys/cold weather. There is a ground on the passenger side strut top to hook the neg into. Are you ready for the Mk4 Mondeo winter experience of frozen locks and steamed up windows?! 🤣

No it's fine - just wanted to top it up 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Out Run said:

This spring/summer I am definitely fixing the freezing latches on mine. It's the worst thing about the car.

I don't wanna be embarrassed in front of folk - so I drive a Ssangyong, instead. 😂

I sprayed the locks full of penetrating fluid this year and (so far...) they’ve been ok. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, sierraman said:

Every January I’m reminded of how utterly fucking shit these cars are in cold weather. Can’t lock the fucker up as the Ice has frozen the locks. 

Wife couldn't get into ours until this afternoon.

Pig of a job getting into ours again.

My wife loves the car ( it is her car).

Me? Not so sure.

Fab on the motorway but around town it's a bit stodgy - not a great deal of power and you only realise how big it is when you park in a public car park - spaces really aren't big enough.

A bit of me thinks Ford lost the plot a bit as these cars evolved - and eventually they killed it completely.

10 hours ago, Bren said:

Me? Not so sure.

Fab on the motorway but around town it's a bit stodgy - not a great deal of power and you only realise how big it is when you park in a public car park - spaces really aren't big enough.

A bit of me thinks Ford lost the plot a bit as these cars evolved - and eventually they killed it completely.

It’s got to be better than the Vectra surely to god 🤭

On 1/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, Landy Mann said:

I had the same with my fiesta last year, fortuanlty the local motor factors keep ford coolant caps in stock.

I got a new, genuine one on eBay for 7 quid.

On 1/19/2023 at 11:26 AM, Bren said:

Me? Not so sure.

Is it a 2.2 200? It should be very good for power - but remap it anyway.

If it is a 2.0 163 have it mapped, it transforms them.