richardthestag Posted February 27, 2018 Posted February 27, 2018 wrapping baked bean tins around exhausts sandwiched between gungum and secured by a jubilee clip or two is surely not a bodge spike60, D Spares & Tyres, alf892 and 5 others 8
Vince70 Posted February 27, 2018 Posted February 27, 2018 My uncle had a car in the 50s which was a cut and shut and it was some kind of Austin Shooting brake and it snapped in two.Apparently the chassis was held together with old bed frame. He was a bit of a bodger though as he would never buy an air filter and used scouring pads and an old tin for air filter housing. He was a aircraft mechanic so I wouldn’t want to fly in any aircraft he had been near. Royale80, FakeConcern, Squire_Dawson and 1 other 4
Guest Hooli Posted February 27, 2018 Posted February 27, 2018 Chain life measured in minutes Nah, he's got a scotoiler it'll last forever twosmoke300 and brandersnatch 2
Jazoli Posted February 28, 2018 Posted February 28, 2018 So with welds taking up to a day to set solid in this weather this swing arm repair took just minutes...That is all kinds of stupid, people really are as thick as mince.
Timewaster Posted February 28, 2018 Posted February 28, 2018 Nah, he's got a scotoiler it'll last forever I wondered why they were called Scotoilers until I rang them for some spares. Ring Ring.. (Rab C Nesbit accent) "Ello Scotoilers, can ah healp yez?" brandersnatch 1
Andyrew Posted February 28, 2018 Posted February 28, 2018 The sump on my disco is currently wrapped in gaffa tape due to it being wafer thin and seeping oil out. Not sure if this an epic fail or a win. Lacquer Peel 1
catsinthewelder Posted February 28, 2018 Posted February 28, 2018 Considering that all the visible bits of a Disco are made of Alloy, glass and rubber and the underside is invariably coated in oil and grease from a thousand leaks it shows how determined Solihull production designers are that they still rot like an absolute bastard. spike60, Saabnut, Scruffy Bodger and 8 others 11
Ben_O Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Several years ago whilst driving over very rough ground in my Scenic, I went down a massive rut and heard a loud bang.I continued along the 20 or so meters to the house, pulled up the drive and got out before realising that the bang had been my sump hitting a rock and now oil was pissing out at an alarming rate, almost like I had unscrewed the sump plug! I let it drain out into a bowl and then thought about replacing the sump. Once I discovered how much work was involved, I bought a tube of quick steel, jacked the side of the car up so it was leaning right over so the remaining oil drained away from the broken section, cleaned up the area with some thinners and a scotchbrite and then applied the quick steel. Once set, I refilled the engine with oil and job done. Several years on, it's still like it and still leak free Scruffy Bodger, robinmasters, Exiled_Tat_Gatherer and 3 others 6
fordperv Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Saw this Bodged lovely at the services earlier What a great way to hold the arch on its almost invisable johngarty 1
Ben_O Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Saw this Bodged lovely at the services earlier What a great way to hold the arch on its almost invisable 20180303_163427.jpgwow.Is it me or is it sitting at a funny angle? Wiper arms are the wrong way round too
spike60 Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 wrapping baked bean tins around exhausts sandwiched between gungum and secured by a jubilee clip or two is surely not a bodgeI've found when selling a car with just such a professional repair that prospective buyers disagree! DeeJay, robinmasters and Lacquer Peel 3
DeeJay Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Wiper arms are the wrong way round tooDon't start that again.
Royale80 Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Used the old bean tin lots of times-tends to outlast the rest of the exhaust. Steve richardthestag 1
twosmoke300 Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Exhausts never blow on a straight pipe tho do they ? Always at the entrance to a box or something so I can't see a bean tin being much use Lacquer Peel 1
The Reverend Bluejeans Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Just remembered a bodge of my very own. 1983 China blue Cavalier 1.6L, mega mileage, knocking. Bought it cheap, went to put some shells in it and on one rod the shells have spun. The new shells are just spinning. So with as good sharp centre punch, I put about 10 or more raised dots in the rod and the same in the cap. No more shell spin. Cleaned the crank up with 600 grit and WD40, put it together, fired some 20/80 Comma Sonic treacle in there and away it went. Sounded alright, oil light went out. bigstraight6, drivewaymyway, Lacquer Peel and 1 other 4
Noel Tidybeard Posted March 3, 2018 Posted March 3, 2018 Saw this Bodged lovely at the services earlier What a great way to hold the arch on its almost invisable 20180303_163427.jpg an apropriate registration for a corsoid as well!
bunglebus Posted March 4, 2018 Posted March 4, 2018 Council "repaired" the concrete guttering on my garage with plywood and gaffer tape (honestly). This is what happened when I closed the door one day; Eastbourne006 by RS, on Flickr Eastbourne005 by RS, on Flickr GrumpiusMaximus, johngarty and Lacquer Peel 3
Spudgun Posted March 4, 2018 Posted March 4, 2018 I once bought a Ford Sierra that looked OK on the surface.Bombing down a perimeter road and the bonnet was flapping about at the scuttle end, I thought the hinges were loose but no it was the inner wings where the bonnet brackets bolted to were made from bathroom silicone then sprayed over. On the same car the exhaust wasn't bolted on and came off narrowly missing an old lady and wrapping itself round a lamp post. Thought I was gonna have to give the old lady mouth to mouth she was a very funny colour I offered a lift home but she refused for some reason. Datsuncog 1
Split_Pin Posted March 4, 2018 Posted March 4, 2018 You should have got a third party to take that picture with you posed face down on the ground and some of the material placed on the back of your head. And then sent it to the Council or local newspaper. Angrydicky, Vince70, Aston Martin and 1 other 3 1
GrumpiusMaximus Posted March 4, 2018 Posted March 4, 2018 I can tell you exactly who did that job. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. LightBulbFun and HarmonicCheeseburger 2
bunglebus Posted March 5, 2018 Posted March 5, 2018 I was pretty pissed off about the shit job, and it nearly killing me. However I was on my own and selfies hadn't been invented yet.
Rocket88 Posted March 6, 2018 Posted March 6, 2018 Many moons ago, a mate of mine had a Renault 16 with a knocking bottom end..........advised him to bung some Wynn's snake oil in it, and retard the ignition.........he rang me the next day, saying it now wouldn't even turn over................after some discussion,it transpired he'd drained the oil out, and put 14 tins[!] of the stuff in! Ohdearme, oldcars, Uncle Jimmy and 11 others 13 1
bunglebus Posted August 6, 2018 Posted August 6, 2018 Not the worst bodge, but if you owned a 911 cabriolet... Would you do this? Tamworthbay, Laseraligningfoofooflanges, GrumpiusMaximus and 2 others 5
Joey spud Posted August 6, 2018 Posted August 6, 2018 I would like to think this was done just to protect a ball joint with a split boot... Lacquer Peel 1
twack Posted August 7, 2018 Posted August 7, 2018 Nor sure if it counts but a friend had to do some welding on a Grand Voyagers' outer sills...only to find when he cut out some of the rot the insides were filled with expanding foam.... oldcars 1
Joey spud Posted August 7, 2018 Posted August 7, 2018 I have done similar to an old gearbox in sump Metro using a 14mm spark plug helicoil kit. Also a seat belt fixing bolt makes a good replacement for a lost sump plug on a Nissan Figaro in Clacket Lane services on a Sunday. hennabm, beko1987, Rocket88 and 13 others 16
catsinthewelder Posted August 7, 2018 Posted August 7, 2018 A seatbelt mounting bolt got me home when the sump plug fell out of my T2. I really need to remember to tighten things properly. richardthestag, Lacquer Peel and Kowalski 2 1
DodgeRover Posted August 7, 2018 Posted August 7, 2018 A seatbelt mounting bolt got me home when the sump plug fell out of my T2. I really need to remember to tighten things properly.When I used to have motorbikes that were quick on the road paranoia got the better of me and I ended up lock wiring drain plugs. Then I moved on to worry about the split (rivet) link in the chain... twosmoke300 1
djoptix Posted August 8, 2018 Posted August 8, 2018 Not-a-terrible-bodge-but: Back in the day my 106 1.5D (of Satan) got broken into and the radio stolen... how quaint! I was living in Manchester and managed to locate a scrapper with a good window, near my parents' place in Herefordshire. On my next trip back home I bodged the window thus: Sausage5000, coalnotdole, SRi05 and 15 others 15 3
twosmoke300 Posted August 8, 2018 Posted August 8, 2018 When I used to have motorbikes that were quick on the road paranoia got the better of me and I ended up lock wiring drain plugs. Then I moved on to worry about the split (rivet) link in the chain...Always run a rivet link on dirt bikes now . Seen so many split links fail on other people’s bikes red5 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now