The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

Spent the last few days with the family in Fairbourne, mid Wales, (It’s near Barmouth) 

Naturally my shite radar was turned up to 10 and I found a nice selection of dead motors with the occasional smoker still clinging onto life.

The Reliant Fox has been in the same location for a couple of decades, I missed a golden opportunity to speak to the owner as he stepped out of his front door but he shot me a “F OFF” glance so I thought better of it. 

The scrap value of these destitute old motors must be heavily counteracted by the cost of getting them to a scrapyard with a weigh bridge due to Fairbournes  slightly remote location meaning old snotters often sit around for years. 

edit, I’ve just run a “cartakeback” quote on the Citroen C4 and the price for Fairbourne is the same for my location in  Stoke on Trent so maybe the scrap value theory doesn’t hold any weight. 

IMG_6257.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

IMG_6264.jpeg

IMG_6265.jpeg

IMG_6266.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

IMG_6269.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6272.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg

IMG_6301.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6355.jpeg

IMG_6356.jpeg

IMG_6373.jpeg

IMG_6365.jpeg

IMG_6363.jpeg

I was hoping to get to Barmouth this week but it never happened- maybe later in the summer.

Sad to think Fairbourne will be levelled in the next couple of decades as it is not cost effective to keep the rising sea at bay.

A very AS stopgap acquired from a friend which has also required for me to turn to the dark side.

The Luton dark side:

IMG_7551.jpeg.125f7744c5ebb886c2470dd25f7e514d.jpeg

(My Dad would be turning in his grave knowing that I've gone Griffin...)

3 minutes ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

A very AS stopgap acquired from a friend which has also required for me to turn to the dark side.

The Luton dark side:

IMG_7551.jpeg.125f7744c5ebb886c2470dd25f7e514d.jpeg

(My Dad would be turning in his grave knowing that I've gone Griffin...)

Commiserations on going Griffin,

but DO NOT WASH IT !

Meanwhile, on a similar theme:

At my GF's parents is this, which I managed to start up with nothing more than some jump leads and then move off the drive into a nearby garage:

IMG_7509.jpeg.864bd4a2abea27a98b316f6c21f96056.jpegIMG_7510.jpeg.6ef52732f9e7e65249d08fb627ee5fdc.jpegIMG_7511.jpeg.eb54c4aaaa4cce7565773ecb732dcc9c.jpegIMG_7512.jpeg.0201473eb95698d5f186e026107b1e56.jpegIMG_7513.jpeg.c6476e58d8f46c01b0b741e23dd0d679.jpeg

Anyone interested in a project...?

4 hours ago, Bren said:

This morning I sat in a hunter. Not a Hillman - a Hawker.

IMG-20240531-WA0003.jpg.847c14b4d4a312d7e7a8f83787f90130.jpg

Caernarfon?

Shitefest 23 paid it a visit! But I’ve been there since too being a North Wales native! 

Somewhat monumentally… 

One out: 

IMG_7449.jpeg.08f4f1c14316a288f56f3668e4718a5a.jpeg

The Brown Nova has moved on. Following the diagnosis that the welding was well beyond my pockets I decided to move it along to someone who can actually weld and  will get it done and back on the road.

I’m gutted not to be the one to do this but realism took over. 

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Somewhat monumentally… 

One out: 

IMG_7449.jpeg.08f4f1c14316a288f56f3668e4718a5a.jpeg

The Brown Nova has moved on. Following the diagnosis that the welding was well beyond my pockets I decided to move it along to someone who can actually weld and  will get it done and back on the road.

I’m gutted not to be the one to do this but realism took over. 

Why not teach yourself to weld?

Just now, SiC said:

Because I suspect there is one coming in.

And it's a lot easier that way.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

I struggle to get time to do the jobs I can already do with around 60 hours per week working, two under 4s, a house that needs regular attention and so many other cars.

I’d love to learn, and fully intend to one day, but by the time I learned well enough to do what was needed it would have deteriorated too far as it was stored outside. Plus with so much being underneath the lack of a ramp would have hindered matters… 

Wrong time of life for big projects. 

This old bus followed us into Tesco earlier on, the elderly owner was pretty proud of it when I spoke to him. Acclaims have got to be one of the most user friendly old motors around. I had one a while back and it drove really well with a great engine. This one didn’t seem to be too afflicted with corrosion which sent many off to the breakers back in the day. 

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6385.jpeg

IMG_6386.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

This old bus followed us into Tesco earlier on, the elderly owner was pretty proud of it when I spoke to him. Acclaims have got to be one of the most user friendly old motors around. I had one a while back and it drove really well with a great engine. This one didn’t seem to be too afflicted with corrosion which sent many off to the breakers back in the day. 

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6385.jpeg

IMG_6386.jpeg

An early one, I think (it's late)

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Off to France in the AX. 28 years old.

IMG_20240601_003844.jpg.0bd280e02c09e061c22f8c2415e75811.jpg

What a thing of beauty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I’m heading off to the local Saturday market auction in a bit, they post their lots on Facebook and Mrs JJ has her eye on this cased bat for her collection of oddities..

IMG_4769.jpeg

they also have a few Snap On bits this week, how hot they are I don’t know as it seems weird for this sort of thing to be in the auction. This is a proper house clearance type boxes of tat auction they do on the marketplace each week. Can never tell with pricing either, things either go for absolute peanuts or the other way. 

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4768.jpeg

Bit of a do in the local town (La Chatre de Le Loir) today and just found out there is a classic gathering in my local village (Lhomme) tomorrow. Happy days

IMG_1324.jpeg.5c45ee46ce163470f470ddf9b9938fda.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg.d05aea524c46151b11cbb30f0cc8be7c.jpeg

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m heading off to the local Saturday market auction in a bit, they post their lots on Facebook and Mrs JJ has her eye on this cased bat for her collection of oddities..

IMG_4769.jpeg

they also have a few Snap On bits this week, how hot they are I don’t know as it seems weird for this sort of thing to be in the auction. This is a proper house clearance type boxes of tat auction they do on the marketplace each week. Can never tell with pricing either, things either go for absolute peanuts or the other way. 

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4768.jpeg

A few years ago a friend offered me his Solus unit he bought from a car boot. Being dubious about it's heritage I checked the cost of updating at the time, it was over £1k and the dealer wanted the unit to check the serial number as it may not have been stolen but have outstanding finance on it.

57 minutes ago, Snake Charmer said:

A few years ago a friend offered me his Solus unit he bought from a car boot. Being dubious about it's heritage I checked the cost of updating at the time, it was over £1k and the dealer wanted the unit to check the serial number as it may not have been stolen but have outstanding finance on it.

Yeah il give that a wide birth then!

May have a punt on the wing cover as they look to be selling for £70-80 odd on eBay. 

• Like 1

On 31/05/2024 at 00:26, brownnova said:

Some chod at a local car meet tonight! 
IMG_5588.jpeg.0cb2e57582153bb8cac818cc2d5a23f2.jpeg

I'd honestly rather roll round in that than any 'exotic' car.  A Jamaican yellow 1.3 SR is truly a thing of beauty.

Qashqai that was bought from @JJ0063 has now ended up with me via my sister. It was only serviced 4 months ago so I’ll give it another month before I do a full service including plugs.

i thought I’d best give it a fresh coolant change. Correct spec Nissan coolant and did a speed flush and it came out nicely. Took my time refilling and cautiously burping the system and it’s bled up a treat.

i noticed the throttle body air intake pipe has a split in it at the seam. Not noticed any performance issues yet but, I managed to find a Chinese one on eBay new for £24 delivered, as opposed to almost £95 from Nissan. 

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

3 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

What a thing of beauty.

It's a 'Memphis'  - with electric windows and central locking 😁. 1.5 diesel. Had quite a lot of work done. Still a few issues but nothing to cause an FTP so far.

• Like 2

After having my last V8 post box holder stolen, I’ve taken measures to a higher level. This old CIH engine won’t be going ANYWHERE.

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

Fetched some building supplies in the Shonky Shogun. 

Angus came over all VOSA and checked I wasn't overweight. 

20240530_124606.jpg

Got a bit carried away and won this Halfords advanced side cabinet with contents for £50 at the auction. I stood watching lots go through and saw the cabinet still retails for £160 RRP so thought £50 would be fair considering some of the contents looked useful too. 

Also got the Snap On wing cover for £35, should be able to sell it for £70 on eBay.

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

Oh, and got Mrs JJ this bat she wanted for her cabinet of weird things and oddities…

IMG_4781.jpeg

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

It's a 'Memphis'  - with electric windows and central locking 😁. 1.5 diesel. Had quite a lot of work done. Still a few issues but nothing to cause an FTP so far.

Do you fancy a set of roof bars for it?

5 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Yeah il give that a wide birth then!

May have a punt on the wing cover as they look to be selling for £70-80 odd on eBay. 

Do you know what the Solus went for? 

Screenshot_20240601_165855_Chrome.jpg.9ba16ed7646fa241612dd876428e0225.jpg

Halfords cabinet was a good buy with the chod inside, great if you have workshop space for them. I had a pair on the older red Halfords roll cabs, they are now under a bench as the space above them was wasted and made the whole unit nearly twice as wide.

50 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Yes please. 

I've still a set from my 5dr Ax Vts, they are hanging up in the garage, I'll drop you some pictures when I'm home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife had reported 'a noise'. On inspection one rear brake down to the metal. This had developed quickly as I had recently checked the pads and they were fine.

It transpired the calliper piston could not be retracted so I ordered a new caliper however on trying to bleed it a distinct lack of brake fluid.

Suspected collapsed brake hose. Replaced. Just the same.

Slackened off the offending pipe from ABS block, lots of fluid. 

Hmmm.

Set to removing (copper replacement) brake pipe. Discovered brake pipe totally flattened! Not sure whether it had hit something or got trapped somehow, bizarre.

IMG_20240601_174204.jpg