The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 26/05/2024 at 20:06, richardmorris said:

I was hoping to go, but haven’t had the manifold gaskets done yet.

On 26/05/2024 at 20:52, brownnova said:

Very jealous! Wanted to go, but alas at over 6 hours drive it was just a bit too far on a bank holiday weekend with the kids! Glad it was good! 

Shame you both couldn’t make it, would have been nice to meet you both in person. Let me know if either of you plan to attend other events - not sure I’ll get to the national this year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, meshking said:

not sure I’ll get to the national this year.

A shame, I’m definitely aiming for the national this year! Currently wondering if we can get two 2CVs roadworthy in time!

Be good to meet you at some point! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, meshking said:

Shame you both couldn’t make it, would have been nice to meet you both in person. Let me know if either of you plan to attend other events - not sure I’ll get to the national this year.

You’re welcome to pop over if you want to give the van a drive out, I’m not too far away. Still waiting for an available time slot for the work to be done . I don’t plan on going to the national at the moment.

A short collection this one as it was less than 10 miles away:

20240528_204554.jpg.0ac10ed60fa49735d94d44a777f6697d.jpg

I always park my new cars here for the first night, seems to bring luck!

Thanks for an easy purchase @320touring!

It's gone to a good home. First trip will be to Dundee at the weekend :)

I need to buy tyres. This is why economic activity is self-defeating.

Last year: buy wireless Garmin camera to use with Overlander. It's not compatible.
This week: decide to list it for sale, but also realise I could use it on the camper. Instead of selling, I buy a secondhand Garmin nav that works with said camera - spend £90
Drive to Burton to get said GPS. Something's dropped screws or nails or similar on the road near Derby. In pissing rain. On the A38 full of HGVs the day after a festival finishes.
Borrowed SsangYong Korando Sports gets a blowout.
Now I have to buy one (or two) Pirelli Scorpion tyres.

It would have been cheaper to just throw the incompatible camera in the bin and order a new reversing camera kit for the camper!

(the puncture is very obvious and in a fixable place, but it did a couple of hundred yards while slowing down on a flat so I suspect the sidewall will be fucked regardless - and the tyres have about 4mm so if I replace one, I'm landing friends with a 4mm mismatch on the front axle of a 4x4 - admittedly, that's the one diff I know is fully open, but I wouldn't leave my own car like that).

• Sad 3

Well after subbing the 2CV project in for the Merc at the MoT station it’s been a late night and an early morning mad rush of prep… but we’re ready as we’ll ever be for the test. 

IMG_5545.jpeg.45c21b75ee050db6de9b801ad3aae5a9.jpeg
Having been off the road completely for about 2 1/2 years (to treat a fair amount of rot) this test is designed to give me a good list to work through to get it roadworthy after the lay up. I’ve worked hard to make sure it’s in as good a shape as possible and can’t see anything obvious… so hopefully not too big a list of faults. 

IMG_5550.jpeg.fc859c7e8364552596810d02c3f22e7c.jpeg

Well fuck me sideways… wasn’t expecting that! 

Off for the weekend camping in the Landcruiser.

Always give it a good run a few days before to make sure it's 👌 as been parked all winter...

Brmm Brmm

20240529_160701.jpg.aef3e9e501f7732bfe60f366d3eecf65.jpg

Ooops...Oh dear...

Still being an over engineered beast it got me back to base. I shall have to take something else.

Needs a new rad...

But better it does it at home than 100's of miles away. Shows what a winter can do.

20240529_162719.jpg

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Ever driven one? Are they that nice to drive?

Completely inconspicuous...

Not very comfortable...

DB5 convertible worth* even more.  Interestingly( or not), Sean Connery did not drive a DB5 in the films. It was a DB4 mkiv gt dressed up as the soon to be released DB5. Aston not wanting to give pinewood a new car.

https://rmsothebys.com/auctions/ch24/lots/r0020-1965-aston-martin-db5-convertible/

i think the db4 is the prettier car.

Personally at the same auction I’d rather have this at a twentieth  the price.

IMG_1193.png

9 hours ago, RichardK said:

(the puncture is very obvious and in a fixable place, but it did a couple of hundred yards while slowing down on a flat so I suspect the sidewall will be fucked regardless - and the tyres have about 4mm so if I replace one, I'm landing friends with a 4mm mismatch on the front axle of a 4x4 - admittedly, that's the one diff I know is fully open, but I wouldn't leave my own car like that).

Well you could have a word with German Tyre warehouse in Skeg who do good quality assured part worns, I'd happily collect a pair for you before I bring the Xc over next week?

32 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Well you could have a word with German Tyre warehouse in Skeg who do good quality assured part worns, I'd happily collect a pair for you before I bring the Xc over next week?

I need it now, but these weren't bad - £125 fitted each for Pirelli Scorpion seems like remarkable value given how long truck tyres last, and I'll get the survivor put on the spare wheel. Did consider just getting a part worn but the Nexen spare is too shagged for me to want to drive on it!

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Ever driven one? Are they that nice to drive?

Completely inconspicuous...

Not very comfortable...

It was this very scene that made me ask out loud if MI6 has anyone who follows Bond around, and closes Every Fecking Door he leaves wide open..

12 hours ago, andy18s said:

It was this very scene that made me ask out loud if MI6 has anyone who follows Bond around, and closes Every Fecking Door he leaves wide open..

Yes. He also doesn't know his way round London - first shot he's going through New Cross towards the Old Kent Road into Central London - next he's in Poplar coming West from the Isle of Dogs. Still - he got to Scotland in the end.

But 

DB5 has a fuel tank of 19 gallons - a 4- litre triple carb DB engine probably does about 10mpg at full chat - so 190 miles per fill.

500 miles-ish to the Highlands is three fuel stops. Let's hope he remembered his wallet.

Driving something like that for 8-hours at a stretch you'd arrive very tired ...

Hope M bought her travel sweets and headphones too. And that the heater works.

Great movie tho. Very enjoyable. J Dench is superb.

😂

16 hours ago, richardmorris said:

i think the db4 is the prettier car.

I saw a DB4 Zagato on the way down to Le Mans a few years ago. Such a beautiful car. Ticks so many boxes.

• Like 2

I was checking an old memory card before I wiped it to use in my camcorder, nothing much on it but a handful of photos from 2021.

This is from the first day it was legal to leave one's own county in April that year:

20210417_201943.jpg.f22ba345efab2dc56f770ab435e14f78.jpg

• Like 7

New wheels, bro. @hairnet is going to be well jel.

20240527_131157.jpg.cc815e0be5f70b4508a117feecb3f184.jpg20240527_131210.jpg.09fdd44f0dfda911d2673480764b62fd.jpg20240527_131222.jpg.0f6419462b471a8d3df09e45fd50d56c.jpg

20240527_131217.jpg.96ea1ae6f66e3a2ac1bf3a3d4c0b94a9.jpg

Parked next to this ratty looking 205 GTi earlier.  Looks shite but sounds ace and given the rate it disappeared over the horizon it would appear to go rather rapidly. 

IMG_20240530_1629152.jpg.686285dafe241131f98d4c585e451133.jpg

IMG_20240530_1629332.jpg.9c3a6c806451cc56f1848395ec9ea83e.jpg

Spent the last few days with the family in Fairbourne, mid Wales, (It’s near Barmouth) 

Naturally my shite radar was turned up to 10 and I found a nice selection of dead motors with the occasional smoker still clinging onto life.

The Reliant Fox has been in the same location for a couple of decades, I missed a golden opportunity to speak to the owner as he stepped out of his front door but he shot me a “F OFF” glance so I thought better of it. 

The scrap value of these destitute old motors must be heavily counteracted by the cost of getting them to a scrapyard with a weigh bridge due to Fairbournes  slightly remote location meaning old snotters often sit around for years. 

edit, I’ve just run a “cartakeback” quote on the Citroen C4 and the price for Fairbourne is the same for my location in  Stoke on Trent so maybe the scrap value theory doesn’t hold any weight. 

IMG_6257.jpeg

IMG_6258.jpeg

IMG_6262.jpeg

IMG_6264.jpeg

IMG_6265.jpeg

IMG_6266.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

IMG_6269.jpeg

IMG_6270.jpeg

IMG_6271.jpeg

IMG_6272.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg

IMG_6301.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6263.jpeg

IMG_6355.jpeg

IMG_6356.jpeg

IMG_6373.jpeg

IMG_6365.jpeg

IMG_6363.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bren said:

This morning I sat in a hunter. Not a Hillman - a Hawker.

IMG-20240531-WA0003.jpg.847c14b4d4a312d7e7a8f83787f90130.jpg

My absolute favourite cold war jet, OK, i know, lightnings, Bucc's etc, all awesome, but there is just something so right about the look and sound of a Hunter

1 hour ago, Stinkwheel said:

My absolute favourite cold war jet, OK, i know, lightnings, Bucc's etc, all awesome, but there is just something so right about the look and sound of a Hunter

Yes - it's lines just seem to flow. Was with another one the other day - a trainer - at Anglesey transport museum. And they do have a distinctive sound - it's the shape of the intakes. Fairly certain the sound of SKY 1 in a dive from the TV series UFO was the sound of a hunter.

• Like 3