The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

They probably need the V5 beacause they can't find it on the MOT computer or something. Has it been deleted from the system because it's been written off or something?

Bought Punto Sporting. 51 plate in retching yellow.

Not from a bloke in Burnley by any chance?

:lol::lol:

I bet it is!

Nope, from a nice young lady in Liverpool! Anyway, SOLD this evening for a modest wee profit and not to anyone from Burnley either! :D

Chap in the unit opposite mine has one that he got for very shite money that he was doing a bit at then shifting on which I think is exactly the same year and colour.

They probably need the V5 beacause they can't find it on the MOT computer or something. Has it been deleted from the system because it's been written off or something?

I do hope not, I've received nothing to tell me that she has been written off and I have in writing from the insurer (who are still taking payments from me for the insurance, I might add) that she wasn't written off after the incident. It's more likely that they couldn't find her under Austin - a friend in the MoT game tells me they're normally listed under Morris - and just didn't want to do the MoT because of her age. I'd had the same thoughts, but I would have expected some sort of letter from my insurer or the DVLA or something to tell me if the car had been written off.

Edited to add: Admiral never mentioned any write off or category status when I checked quotes with them recently so I'm guessing all is well on that front, actually.

It comes up when you do a DVLA datacheck on their site, my old Bora got a marker next to it when I crashed my Passat and transfered the private plate over and the insurance company wrote of the wrong car. :roll:

Asked to bid on a V plate Toyota Corolla today with a decent amount of tax and four months ticket. I was expecting to see a three or five door hatch but what greeted me was one of these...

97%20Corolla%20Saloon.jpg

Didn't know they came in saloon shape.

Even though it had only done 77,000 the top end was rattling like fuck and it was only running on three. It could of been a stuck hydraulic lifter but it is no understatement to say that it could of gone on Stars In Their Eyes singing Transit 2.5Di greatest hits and made it into the final. Pity really as it was an incredibly tidy wee thing and even though it lacked any creature comforts whatsoever other than PAS I'm sure I could of rehomed this puppy for £400.

Anyway, in other news I've taken a decent deposit on the Farting Banana Punto Sporting and it's now destined to make a few more Puntos last a few more months. I might of been tempted to of given it some attention and see if it could of found a buyer for £650 but the iffy 6 speed gearbox likes to jump out of third and I really didn't want it hanging around longer than a few days.

This isn't really that shite, but I've got my heart set on a Suzuki Cappuccino. Missed out on a project for £700 but spotted one for sale oop north. Sadly the literacy of the seller is not filling me with distance-buying confidence. Nor is the tide mark on the sills. Buying yet another small, sub-700cc motor that dissolves in water is probably a bit silly given that I've already got a 2CV filling that role quite nicely. They are tiny and a bit mad though.

Some more buy/sell activity if anyone's interested.

After the Corolla incident earlier I was asked to make an offer for another 406 which I'm waiting to collect as soon as the sellers dad is back home. This is off to Zimbabwe via Coventry tomorrow. Been offered what sounds like a very straight and tidy Vectra B with about 70,000 on the clock. It's a 2.0 CD saloon but the seller wants £350 for it so no deal. 99 model year IIRC. PM me for his number if you're willing to face the humiliation on here.

They advertise MOTs at a fixed cost, the administrators MOT manual says that they are not allowed to refuse to test a vehicle if it's a class which they are authorised to test. They know from the age of the car that it's likely to take them longer to test, hence them making it difficult, hoping that you'll go elsewhere. The weight may be on the computer, they may well have wall charts with the weights on them, the weight will be on the VIN plate, so I can't see what the problem is. I tested a car the other week, that model was not on the computer so I checked the brake efforts against the weight on the VIN plate to ensure that they met the efficiencies using the highest weight.

Inform them that you'll be querying their requirement for the V5 with VOSA.

Sometimes, their computer just can't find the info off the VOSA computer - when I took the Imp for MOT 16 months ago they couldn't find it on the system (and hence couldn't start the test) so asked for me to bring the V5 when I brought the car back. I need to get my finger out and do the welding, to see whether they can find it...!

Do we have any German shiteists?

I've seen a car badge I want on ebay.de but the seller won't post outside Germany or accept paypal. :roll:

Normally I wouldn't bother but I've been searching every week for 2 years and this is the first time one has come up!

Took the LDV for a quick blast around the block this evening, as it hadn't been off the car park for a few weeks. Interestingly, the brakes decided not to stick on today. Even without binding brakes though, I couldn't believe how sluggish it felt compared to even the 1.9 Ducato. Completely different generations of turbo diesel engine I know, but it's another nail in the LDV's coffin as far as I'm concerned. On the way home from work today in the Ducato I managed to take advantage of a short stretch of clear straight road to get past a dawdling old bat in a 206 - a manoeuvre I'd never have had any chance of pulling off (safely) in the LDV.

Quinton Hazell gone pop.

Isn't that just there exhaust/CAT place in Lancashire, or have their other place/s gone as well? I know they used to have a place in Conway (or near there) that made radiators and water pumps or something.

I may not have a car I can drive in a few hours. The chap that's interested in the Maestro is heading over this afternoon to pick it up and leave me with some money. I hope this all goes smoothly, I'm unreasonably anxious about the whole affair.

In other exciting news - 944 passed its MOT today.

It's more than a quarter century old and has covered more miles than the Starship Enterprise!

I am a happy bunny and will drink myself paraplegic later on to celebrate.

In other exciting news - 944 passed its MOT today.

It's more than a quarter century old and has covered more miles than the Starship Enterprise!

I am a happy bunny and will drink myself paraplegic later on to celebrate.

:D:D

Well done!

After a weldathon I managed to get my 944 through the MOT last November and was similarly a happy bunny! (1988, 189,000 miles)

Lidl vodka and poverty spec cola was my chosen celebration tipple.

Enjoy your celebrations!

I may not have a car I can drive in a few hours. The chap that's interested in the Maestro is heading over this afternoon to pick it up and leave me with some money. I hope this all goes smoothly, I'm unreasonably anxious about the whole affair.

If it makes you feel better, I've been driving around in your new car today and I'm also feeling TEH ANXIETIES. I must apologise for not cleaning it. Or fitting a stereo. Or speakers (the previous idiot blew up the lovely Alpines I'd fitted). However, despite my best efforts, it still has half a tank of fuel. That's about 200 miles' worth!

:D:D

Well done!

After a weldathon I managed to get my 944 through the MOT last November and was similarly a happy bunny! (1988, 189,000 miles)

Lidl vodka and poverty spec cola was my chosen celebration tipple.

Enjoy your celebrations!

Cheers!

Mine is a 1987, The original speedo packed up at 226,000 a replacement with 178,000 was fitted

and that's now 107 miles shy of 200,000.

Aldi Shiraz in a box appears to be GR9

Will keep you all informed (there's a second one in the cupboard for emergency use -

ie. if I can still walk at ten O clock tonight

No worries, Mr Wobbler. The potential buyer disappeared, fuck him, I sold it to someone else at very short notice. New buyer plans to engine rape the Maestro for his Mini, good luck to him. I now have enough cash to get stripey BX, just got to get it in the bank so I can transfer it about the place.

No worries, Mr Wobbler. The potential buyer disappeared, fuck him, I sold it to someone else at very short notice. New buyer plans to engine rape the Maestro for his Mini, good luck to him. I now have enough cash to get stripey BX, just got to get it in the bank so I can transfer it about the place.

I think your new buyer will have a bit of a shock when he opens the bonnet and tries to fit that engine in his mini. Never mind will serve him right for buying a classic just to rob its engine

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's the best thing I've heard all day. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he realises it's completely fucking different, ideally he'll find out about once he's already removed a perfectly good 998cc engine from the mini in antiscipation.

What's really hilarious is that that's exactly what happened to my Maestro! Well, I wasn't going to tell him...

He got as far as removing the driveshafts before discovering the problem. I'm sure it was bean tins not long after that.